This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

PIXEL PIRACY
YetiChow Nov 24, 2013 @ 6:24pm
So, just how many of this game's elements will be similar to FTL?
I'd like to open by saying that I'm not against similarity at all - FTL is an amazing game, and if it inspires this game in any way then that can only be a good thing.

It looks like Pixel Piracy has many, many different elements, and will be a totally different game, but I'm seeing some potential crossover in things like crew attachment (i.e. you don't want your First Mate to die since he single-handedly patched up your hull), balancing upgrades with new weapons/gear, making tough calls between going for a long-shot across the map or taking the safer route but avoiding possible rewards etc.

I'm just interested in how many ideas will take inspiration (or should that be "plunder"? :P) from FTL
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Vitali Kirpu  [developer] Nov 25, 2013 @ 3:20am 
Hello Yeti!

We are not trying to copy FTL or anything, but the FTL was the original inspiration for this game and it has some things that i think would work well in PP, execution of this ideas is different story.

Crew attachment will play a big role in a 0.4.0.0 version as i am working on creating immerse friendship system where every choice will have impact what will happen next.

Hope that explains something to you :)
Alex Poysky  [developer] Nov 25, 2013 @ 4:47am 
In a nutshell, we draw inspiration from a number of genres, among them the "strategic roguelike" immersive gameplay styles from games like FTL and Dwarf Fortress. We aren't copy/pasting anything here, but since nobody can re-invent the wheel we are adopting some of the things we loved about those games and introducing them in a UNIQUE way.

We appreciate people's work and would never blatantly steal/copy something, but I want to credit both those titles for having broken so much new ground in the genre!
YetiChow Nov 25, 2013 @ 9:10pm 
That sounds awesome; there's so much "oh [insert personal deity here], not another clone of ____" going around that I was worried that you guys would have to step away from the existing ideas and, as you say, reinvent the wheel of strategic roguelikes. You guys having a clear inspiration, and owning to it while wanting to do something that certainly isn't a clone, makes me really really excited to see what you come up with :D
Kasumi Tani Nov 26, 2013 @ 2:17pm 
Strange, when I saw this game, I was thinking of Terraria/Tactical RPG mix, and FTL somehow never came to mind (then again, I only heard of it, without actually playing it )

How close is my guess to what Pixel Piracy will be?
awesomebillfromdawsonville Nov 27, 2013 @ 1:23am 
Have you people played this game? Its as much like ftl as castlevania is like mariobrothers. You jump in both those games, but aside from that they are completely different animals.
QD Dec 9, 2013 @ 7:16am 
mmh
Stairway To Heaven Jan 1 @ 11:55am 
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50