Help this game get on Steam!

Take a look around and learn about this game. If this is something you'd like to see available on Steam, you can help by rating it up using the buttons below. Click here to learn more about this process.

The Little Crane That Could
b.stolk  [developer] Sep 21, 2013 @ 8:49am
Q and A with author.
Please drop any questions you have for me in the Discussions tab, and I will do my best to answer those as soon as possible.
Suggestions are welcome too.
I look forward to working with the steam community.
After one and a half day, the game is at 4% to the top100, so it may take a while :-)
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
xMoneyShadow Sep 21, 2013 @ 6:04pm 
Hey. I love the game on iOS. What more would with game have on PC compared to mobile devices?
b.stolk  [developer] Sep 21, 2013 @ 7:21pm 
Originally posted by xMoneyShadow:
Hey. I love the game on iOS. What more would with game have on PC compared to mobile devices?

A PC has more processing power than early iPhones.
So it would support more complex simulations, which could mean larger worlds or more intricate vehicles, like the caterpillar tracks that is part of the OSX version of the game.
I am also experimenting with deformable terrain. But that would probably make it in a later release, not the first one.
See my blogpost[thelittleengineerthatcould.blogspot.ca] on my experiments with deformable terrain.

That being said, I do think that the first PC release will largely resemble the mobile versions, but with joystick control instead. The more advanced stuff will appear in subsequent releases.
OttoNL Sep 23, 2013 @ 3:39am 
Is the footage in the video from the pc or some other platform? What are your plans with the physics? Right now they seem as simple as in 90's games and good physics can make these kind of games awesome
b.stolk  [developer] Sep 23, 2013 @ 7:42am 
Originally posted by OttoNL:
Is the footage in the video from the pc or some other platform? What are your plans with the physics? Right now they seem as simple as in 90's games and good physics can make these kind of games awesome
It is from the PC port. The physics are actually very good. Load up the free game to your phone or tablet and see for yourself. This game is constantly praised for physics in the user reviews.
Mon Zombo Sep 24, 2013 @ 4:14pm 
Are you planning on improving the graphical quality?
For example, adding more complex lighting or textures?
b.stolk  [developer] Sep 24, 2013 @ 10:27pm 
Originally posted by Mon Zombo:
Are you planning on improving the graphical quality?
For example, adding more complex lighting or textures?

I do not plan on using textures.
At most I may look into better shading, but that is unsure at this moment.

Fulffen<3JW Sep 25, 2013 @ 12:17pm 
jajajaja
OttoNL Sep 26, 2013 @ 2:40am 
Originally posted by b.stolk:
It is from the PC port. The physics are actually very good. Load up the free game to your phone or tablet and see for yourself. This game is constantly praised for physics in the user reviews.

I don't have a smartphone or tablet to check it out.. But what I see on youtube seems to be impressive for a tablet app.
But what I meant was... How are you going to make it 'feel'. Like it is now? Those would be good physics in tablet world, but not in computer sim world. For instance the suspension is now just a rigid frame with wheels and the tires don't compress.

So in short, are you trying to make it a sim or keep it casual but just improve the handling by allowing keyboard/gamepad control?
b.stolk  [developer] Sep 26, 2013 @ 1:13pm 
So in short, are you trying to make it a sim or keep it casual but just improve the handling by allowing keyboard/gamepad control?

I am pretty sure that my sim code can stand with the best of them.
Here is a video of my latest tech. You'll find it hard to find a game with better soil digging physics. This technology will make its way into Little Crane at some time.
First release may be closer to iOS version, but this is what it will evolve into.

Youtube video of bulldozer simulation

OttoNL Sep 28, 2013 @ 6:36am 
Ah those are some nice physics. Impressed ^^ but once again the lack of suspension and grip makes the vehicle look a bit more simple. Would personally like to see a suspension. I do like the way you made the wheels (almost sprockets) lock into the tracks though. I'm very curious how the finished game will look
b.stolk  [developer] Sep 28, 2013 @ 9:05am 
Ah those are some nice physics. Impressed ^^ but once again the lack of suspension and grip makes the vehicle look a bit more simple. Would personally like to see a suspension. I do like the way you made the wheels (almost sprockets) lock into the tracks though. I'm very curious how the finished game will look

It uses OpenDE's Hinge2 joint, which has a suspension component.
However, it is set very stiff, so it is hard to spot.

They are actually real sprockets.
My code only drives the sprockets, and the teeth that collide with the links in the track then actually make the vehicle move. It is even possible to derail the tracks from the sprockets when you get too wild with the vehicle.

So yeah, I don't think any other game does this.
But when it comes to the steam greenlight: I don't think it is ever going to happen.
It is trending way below the trend of #100 on greenlight.
So I don't think this game will ever make it to steam publication.
I need to find an alternative distribution platform.
OttoNL Sep 28, 2013 @ 9:33am 
Aww that's too bad, only the top 100 get in?

Maybe Desura? Don't know it myself but many greenlight games are there too. Else I think you have to get some Youtube Game Reviewer channels to give it a look I think, that would get some buzz...

It´s not a huge amount of players, but if I were you I´d post a link to this greenlight page in the gravitysensation dot com forums. Tricky Truck is a fun physics game with... trucks which I think you'll enjoy, and I think the players of that game will enjoy TLCTC.

Do make sure you post in a couple of other topics before so it doesn´t look like spam...

Also if you got that skycrane working I'd consider another trailer video with more footage of that thing. There are some games around which are a little like this one, so it might not draw a huge crowd, but the fact that you got a working helicopter in here is a big difference from those other games. I would use it for advertising purposes
Last edited by OttoNL; Sep 28, 2013 @ 9:38am
xMoneyShadow Sep 28, 2013 @ 11:18am 
That's a shame it's not in the top 100. I play it on my iPad every day. The game is great, but it may just need some more advertising. Like when I go into greenlight, I see all these games that are probably great, but I skip them because of the name and the fact that I've never heard of it. But when I saw this game, I was thinking "Woah". I've introduced a few friends to the mobile game and they seem to love it. Advertsing may help a ton. And like Otto said, even posting topics on forums with the greenlight link in it would help. You could make the PC version announcement a bit bigger by showcasing it in the mobile app. When you open the app, there could be a page that pops up about it and when they tap it, it takes them to the greenlight page. The game is great, and deserves more publicity. Oh, and did you make this game by yourself, or with a group of people? Just wondering.
b.stolk  [developer] Sep 28, 2013 @ 5:21pm 
Originally posted by xMoneyShadow:
... Oh, and did you make this game by yourself, or with a group of people? Just wondering.

Yep, a one-man game studio :-)
Although at some point, I did have a guy redo the HUD graphics for me.
The HUD in the first release looked worse.
But 3D models, level designs, game design, code: it's all me.

Someone coined a great term for it: INDIEvidual. I like that moniker.

And yeah, I could do a better job at marketing it. I did put in a 'VOTE' link in the Android version of the game. But I think putting my effort in another publication channel may be more worthwhile than pushing this greenlight campaign. The vote gap is just too large. Or maybe I should release some levels for free right now, and ask for a vote once the last level is completed.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50