This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Ghostship Aftermath
shaun  [developer] Sep 4, 2013 @ 7:38am
Jump Scares or no Jump Scares?
I was going to put jump scares in but may not go down that route of the call is out there! Post your preference here and help decide if Aftermath will include jump scares!
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
acerobby Sep 4, 2013 @ 8:25am 
I personally would like some jump scares, a creepy atmophere and good horror story is what I would like to see, I want to wonder what has happened on the ship but never fully know the answer untill it's too late, something that makes me press forword even though I'm scared out of my mind. (Now that I think about it I agree with fireryone some would help the atmosohere)
fireryone Sep 4, 2013 @ 9:19am 
Ultimately it's your game and you should decide which audience you are after you will find it hard to please both.
As long as you don't rely on them, I don't see why you can't include some to enhance the atmosphere.
Qon Sep 4, 2013 @ 1:20pm 
I'm not your target audience but I would like to hear your definition of "jump sqares" and exactly you are going to "build atmosphere" with it. As I've heard it being used it's like the opposite of atmospheric horror where the danger and fear is more subtle and building up slowly while jump sqares are often like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t80sdBtB-Gc and used because the it's damn easy to produce and requires zero talent in every field. And while it makes you jump and it raises your pulse it certaily doesn't make you afraid. Reflexes with no emotions. Things qan happen suddenly without being cheap and without being a "jump sqare" depending on how you define it.
Enevon Sep 4, 2013 @ 1:23pm 
Personally i don't mind a good jump scare, but i have to agree with Qon, all too often games become overly reliant on this method of providing an uneasy atmosphere.
Anybody with a balloon and a needle can provide a jump scare, creating a sense of real horror on the other hand takes a lot more effort, but is also more rewarding in the long run.
In summary: jump scares are effective, but use them sparingly for maximum effect.
shaun  [developer] Sep 4, 2013 @ 1:24pm 
Originally posted by Qon:
I'm not your target audience but I would like to hear your definition of "jump sqares" and exactly you are going to "build atmosphere" with it. As I've heard it being used it's like the opposite of atmospheric horror where the danger and fear is more subtle and building up slowly while jump sqares are often like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t80sdBtB-Gc and used because the it's damn easy to produce and requires zero talent in every field. And while it makes you jump and it raises your pulse it certaily doesn't make you afraid. Reflexes with no emotions. Things qan happen suddenly without being cheap and without being a "jump sqare" depending on how you define it.

Like CDF ghostship the game, there are no jump scares, its the game and its atmosphere itself what gives you the feeling. With jump scares they are scripted and only enjoyable once. I was not going to add jump scares to both the game and aftermath, but with recent calls for jump scares I am letting you have your say before i make up my mind.

If you have the rift, play the Ghostship Oculus Alpha demo and you will see what i mean.
acerobby Sep 4, 2013 @ 4:40pm 
Jump scares could be benifical If applied effectivly and not overused the entier game. but some times seeing somthing in the corner of our eyes something moving or dissapering can be just as creepy, the thing we don't fully see can be as horrifying as the things we do see.
criggie Sep 4, 2013 @ 7:37pm 
how do you even get an oculus rift thats not a developer kit...
Beeftron Sep 4, 2013 @ 7:51pm 
I agree with acerobby. I'm thinking more along the lines of things in flickering lights or crossing hallways in the distance like inthe FEAR games. Something present, but always just out of reach.I think the best chills would come from the logs being tied to corpses or messes found in rooms. Maybe borrowed devices from FEAR and Bioshock? EDIT: Just realized I never answered teh question---NO blatant jump scares, subtlety has more of a lasting effect.
AxelXD_is_epic Sep 5, 2013 @ 12:23pm 
In my opinion it could have a very creepy atmosphere then at the end there is a jumpscare, but that is in my opinion....
Gordon Freeman Sep 5, 2013 @ 4:24pm 
Acerobby I agree. Sometimes just seeing somehting move or dissapear is just enough to give us that 'Oh crap.' scared sense. But jump scares would be okay.
OMGERDAMMER Sep 5, 2013 @ 4:46pm 
Jump scares are what make some horror games great, as long as they aren't overused. Too many and you start to get desensitized, too little and it doesn't add enough to the atmosphere. I'd say yes to jump scares, but try your best to find a good balance. Hard part would be to put them in places where they aren't utterly expected, I guess. Either way, good luck!
almostpilot Sep 5, 2013 @ 6:25pm 
Jump Scares...YES!
Disney Sep 5, 2013 @ 9:43pm 
Not sure about the jump scares but I agree that the "FEAR" aspects where it's a shadow or something that moves or makes sound just inside your "perferial" (sp?) vision. Not scripted if possible but random relating to logs found in a particular area. Whispers in the dark are also extremely effective as long as they are not overused.
No1isfaster Sep 6, 2013 @ 9:12am 
Too many jump scares ruin the game (Like Doom 3 for example). But Amnesia had a good sense of lingering fear throughout the game as well as some jump scares. In my opinion, a realistic game where the bad guys don't always know where you are at all times but have a good sense of where you may be at is better than a game where the player is constantly being followed by the bad guys with no sense of security anywhere (Not like you can be secure in the first one either lol).
KDR: (CDR'(1 '(0 0))) Sep 7, 2013 @ 2:45am 
Since you're selling this game on its atmosphere and environment, no more than a couple jump scares.
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50