This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

CastleMiner Z
Spudbar Nov 2, 2013 @ 5:35pm
Only somewhat worthwhile.
[If Minecraft is not an affordable game, then CMZ is the better choice. That is the only upside to this game from what I can conclude. Otherwise, probably not worth the time.]

Is this game REALLY going to be worthwhile if you already own Minecraft on the PC? Because so far it seems you can replicate nearly the same thing (As in gameplay wise, obviously not the models or animations and such) as this game by installing a few mods. I'm not being a hater, I can see this being a decently fun game and may even try it, though I'd like to know if it's really worth the time. How much more content is going to be available here that isn't on the game it took inspiration from? How about cost?

-EDIT-
Took a look at some other discussions. Seems like people are bashing on people who play Minecraft because they claim Minecraft copied another game and that this didn't copy Minecraft. Both are similar, but they aren't direct copies. Minecraft took inspiration from Infiniminer and CastleMinerZ took inspiration from Minecraft. Keep it civil if you have a response, flame wars really aren't needed. I'm just looking for what's different between the two games to see if there really are enough selling points to make me want to try this.

-EDITx2-
Someone who has played both games decided to make a list of things from both games. I feel like it deserves to be up here so people can see it more easily, as it does list a good bit about both games.

Originally posted by Specals:
Please do not waste money on Castle Miner Z. Yes I know many people bring Minecraft into the situation, but they do all have great points. There are many things to say so I will place them all in a comparing and contrasting list.

Minecraft
------------------------
1. Includes 4 modes to choose from
2. Combat is easy, and does not include many weapons.
3. Includes 19 different and unique enemies.
4. World can be generated with complete control in the player's hands.
5. Frequent updates by developers who are active with the community.
6. Includes 47 biomes to explore.
7. Has certain blocks that have unique geometry, special qualities, and animation (Water, Lava, Fences, Heads, Pots, Ender Eggs, Enchantment Tables)
8. Abstract pixelated textures.
9. Players, mobs, and items go with the theme of being pixelated giving a feeling that just feels right.
10. The soundtrack is comforting and elegant.
11. Graphics that are smooth and playable.
12. Large community of modders who expand on the game.
13. Glitches in the updates get fixed immediatley in the following patch. If there a remaining ones, that are fixed in the next update.
14. Large servers that can hold a huge amount of online players.
15. Customizable skins for your character.
16. Includes recource packs, allowing the player to add custom sounds and textures to the game.
17. Has a very complex yet easy-to-use redstone wiring system. *opinion* the best part about redstone is the command blocks, allowing the player to actually code in the game.
18. Includes transportation such as horses, pigs, minecarts, walking, sprinting, flying and boats
19. Players can build and place blocks.
20. Has a fun crafting system.

Castle Miner Z
----------------------------
1. Includes 5 modes to choose from
2. Combat is complex, includes many weapons specifically guns.
3. Includes 5 different unique enemies (not including the many types of certain enemies)
4. World is generated without any control.
5. Slower unpredictable updates.
6. Includes 8 biomes to explore.
7. Everything is just blocks (except for enemies of course) none of these blocks have animation, special qualities, or unique geometry. The worlds become very boring with the lack of working water also.
8. Dull, dark, but detailed textures.
9. Players, mobs, and items are 3 dimensional and don't quite fit with the surrounding world.
10. The soundtrack is loud, noisy, and gets a bit annoying after a while.
11. Choppy graphics that feel unfinished.
12. Smaller modding community, but there are still a few people out there that do mod for it.
13. Glitches that don't get fixed until the developers feel like it.
14. Small servers
15. Limited amount of ways to customize your character.
16. Does not allow the player to change the appearance of the game (unless you mod of course)
17. No wiring system
18. Includes transportation such as teleportation and walking
19. Players can build and place blocks.
20. Has a fun crafting system.

Thanks, Specals.
Last edited by Spudbar; Nov 28, 2013 @ 5:41pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 72 comments
JiffyLube 1 Nov 2, 2013 @ 8:38pm 
This game is well worth it!!!!! its an intense experience of shooting guns, rocket launchers, and lasers at crazy monsters like aliens, zombies, and dragons. This experience is great and just cant be replicated by minecraft.
Spudbar Nov 2, 2013 @ 8:45pm 
Originally posted by Jiffy Lube 1:
This game is well worth it!!!!! its an intense experience of shooting guns, rocket launchers, and lasers at crazy monsters like aliens, zombies, and dragons. This experience is great and just cant be replicated by minecraft.

Em, it kind of can, though.
There's already tons of modifcations for both single player and multi-player that have different kinds of guns and ammo. From pistols to snipers to assault rifles to rocket launchers to flame throwers, and many weapons from varying time periods. Zombies and dragons are already in the game, just tweak the spawning and maybe functionality (Movement speed, enderdragon's ability to break blocks, etc.) and you had those enemies in there. In fact you can get hundreds of differnet kinds of enemies with difficulty varying extremely.

Hmm, how about things other than combat? Seems people are focusing a lot on that and i'm just simply not convinced by it. What else does it have to offer?
JiffyLube 1 Nov 2, 2013 @ 9:15pm 
the game doesnt get to in depth with anything other than combat besides building. there are aot less block types and features than mincraft. even though you can replicate lots of its features through mods in minecraft, castleminer z has its own unique feel and experience that cant be replicated in minecraft. If your still skeptical, you can wait for a steam sale after it comes out, but you will get your moneys worth out of it, as long as its not more than 10$
Spudbar Nov 2, 2013 @ 9:28pm 
Originally posted by Jiffy Lube 1:
the game doesnt get to in depth with anything other than combat besides building. there are aot less block types and features than mincraft. even though you can replicate lots of its features through mods in minecraft, castleminer z has its own unique feel and experience that cant be replicated in minecraft. If your still skeptical, you can wait for a steam sale after it comes out, but you will get your moneys worth out of it, as long as its not more than 10$

Hmm... I think i'll just keep my money. Minecraft has a lot more to it other than just the combat. I might play a trial version or on a friends account, just not worth the money to me.
JiffyLube 1 Nov 2, 2013 @ 9:51pm 
ya, castleminer z is also comming out with alot more content now that they are on pc and not just xbox, so keep an eye on it and in the future it may be worth.
LukeZaz Nov 3, 2013 @ 10:42pm 
Feels like it isn't worth it due to the fact that it just seems like Call of Duty Zombies mixed with Minecraft, is there any really unique and interesting features that aren't 'u can shoot undeds' and 'u bild howse!'?
Communist Satan Nov 5, 2013 @ 11:47am 
It pisses me off when people accuse block builders of copying Minecraft. Its like saying Minecraft copied Wolfenstein 3D for being a first person 3D game.
<SK> | WickedBooYa! Nov 5, 2013 @ 2:21pm 
Looks like a cool game
Spudbar Nov 5, 2013 @ 9:04pm 
Originally posted by Doomtodeath:
It pisses me off when people accuse block builders of copying Minecraft. Its like saying Minecraft copied Wolfenstein 3D for being a first person 3D game.

Yeah, I have to agree. Unless the game has the same art style, gameplay, functionality and such, it's not really a copy. Though you can't really blame people for accusing this of being a copy, it's not as idiotic as saying all first person shooter games copied the first ever created game in a first person perspective. It does take a LOT of features and looks a LOT similar to Minecraft. In fact it's kind of sad how easy it is to compare the similarities between the games and how hard it may be to find features that are different that are actually, well, game changing...
Of course still not the same game, but it would have been nice to have more, fresher ideas than to add in a CoD zombies kind of feel to the game and a mountain of ideas and designs drawing inspiration from Minecraft. Not the same game, but a little too similar than wanted.
Last edited by Spudbar; Nov 5, 2013 @ 9:06pm
#_# Nov 6, 2013 @ 3:34am 
Just a random post.
TwIsTeD MinD Nov 6, 2013 @ 6:11am 
Look like minecraft, yep but ya still got a nice shogun and zombies so... Yep worth a shoot I say
Last edited by TwIsTeD MinD; Nov 6, 2013 @ 6:11am
Arale//Zero Nov 6, 2013 @ 3:40pm 
Honestly it seems more of a cashgrab than anything. "So it's what's popular, but with guns!"

I really do like games that take inspiration from Minecraft, but this one... it seems to be made to appeal to stereotypical 11-to-14-year-old xbox fanboys
Spudbar Nov 6, 2013 @ 7:06pm 
Originally posted by TwIsTeD MinD:
Look like minecraft, yep but ya still got a nice shogun and zombies so... Yep worth a shoot I say

Maybe if this game was free it would be worth a shot. But no. It's not. It's CoD Minecraft, which, actually, has already pretty much been done. You're an incredibly gullibal person to think that since it has guns it'll be more advanced, different, and thus better. Minecraft is an adventure, or can be at least... This game is just a free roam CoD campaign map. Whoop.
Last edited by Spudbar; Nov 6, 2013 @ 7:08pm
metalgamer Nov 6, 2013 @ 7:52pm 
It's not different than minecraft, it just has guns and that's it
Terroryaki Nov 7, 2013 @ 1:59am 
I would get it if it was free.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 72 comments
Per page: 15 30 50