This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Neverending Nightmares
Xaflu Apr 28, 2014 @ 5:25pm
Over the top cliche
Eyeless dolls, little ghost demon girls, little girls in general, random blood, jumpscares... This game can't be scary because it abuses so many horror cliches.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
MOB_TheKest May 4, 2014 @ 1:00pm 
Well, I think is more about the original art graphic style that makes this game very unique IMO. Also this might be a really cool feature of the game quote (read it in the description on the page):

"...In Neverending Nightmares, the punishment for death is that you either wake up in the same nightmare (like a checkpoint) or "dying" will transport you to a different branch in our narrative than if you had succeeded. ..."

If the devs will manage to do this, they'll make Neverending Nightmares even more unique. Can't wait.
Xaflu May 4, 2014 @ 1:12pm 
But it's a horror game. It's supposed to be scary. R.aping my ears with bass and then attempting a lame jumpscare isn't scary. Sure the artstyle is different, but gameplay makes a game. Not artstyle. My mom has OCD AND depression and she doesn't have dreams of stabbing little girls and little eyeless dolls.
Last edited by Xaflu; May 4, 2014 @ 1:14pm
MOB_TheKest May 4, 2014 @ 1:42pm 
I get it now what you're saying. Well I don't know you but for what I understand the game isn't all about traditional jumpscares and super scary moments like other games of the genre, is more about the whole experience itself of Anxiety, Helplessness, Depressions and so on (IMO). And i don't know much about OCDs and mental illness in general but you can't really tell nothing about it unless you feel it for yourself (sorry for my english) and you know people are different and I guess every person with this kind of illness may have different experience and of course Neverending Nightmares is first of all a game and a little bit of cliche like you said is expected.
RightClickSaveAs Jun 1, 2014 @ 9:40am 
I backed this game on Kickstarter and have been playing the alpha test builds as they've been released, and I can confidently say that there are going to be very few jump scares in this game, it's going to be a horror game that relies much more on atmosphere. It's shaping up to be a very unique and unsettling game from the early builds of levels I've seen so far.

The little girl ties into the story in a big way, and the dolls are representative of that as well, so they're not just thrown in for no reason.

It's coming out around September of this year, hope you check it out and give it a chance when it does!
Xaflu Jun 1, 2014 @ 11:51am 
You guys know what desensitization is, right? When you get less sensitive to a medium until it just bores you and isn't interesting anymore. This happened to me and probably a lot of other people when it comes to horror games, and you can see an example of this process in the YouTuber Pewdiepie. When he first started his channel, he was afraid of everything in horror games, but when he would play them now he saw them as boring unless he was being jump scared. The only times he was scared was when something new was added to the mix, like the Oculus Rift horror game, since that's something that he's never seen before. Yes, this artstyle is new, and I do agree it is nice looking. However the cliches are too rampant and it ruins the real horror experience. Of course this is only the demo, but demos are supposed to give a taste of the full game, so my hopes are not high for this game.

EDIT: Don't start a flame war about Pewdiepie that's not the point
Last edited by Xaflu; Jun 1, 2014 @ 11:52am
RightClickSaveAs Jun 1, 2014 @ 2:44pm 
I'm not going to try to change your mind, but seeing all the new stuff that's been added to the game since the demo makes me confident that this game is going to be far from clichéd.
Last edited by RightClickSaveAs; Jun 1, 2014 @ 2:48pm
Kirito Aug 31, 2014 @ 10:30am 
Originally posted by Xaflu:
Eyeless dolls, little ghost demon girls, little girls in general, random blood, jumpscares... This game can't be scary because it abuses so many horror cliches.

I dont know about this game as i havent played it yet, but by this description i dont even know how games like "Cry of Fear" ever gone almost viral with people saying its super scary while all they do is throw jumpscares at your face all the time and some generic monsters in fast foward movement mode, while arming you to the teeth with ways to get rid of them, thus making them more of an anoyance than scary (well... just like doom 3, ambient sounds and background, ok, monster fighting with an army worth arsenal, totally not scary).

Regardless, the artstyle makes this an interesting title so far.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50