This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

DwarfCorp
Ashlacon Aug 17, 2013 @ 6:52pm
What sets this apart?
This looks a lot like Towns to me, and when making a new game you have to either
A) Do something that's already done, but do it better, or
B) Do something that's never been done before.
So I, both for myself and for all future potential backers not quite sure whether or not to kickstart this, ask; why this game, what sets it apart from others in the genre -such as Towns- and what can it offer me that no other game can.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
SlarkTrek Into Darkness Aug 18, 2013 @ 4:45am 
My thoughts aswell. I hated Towns.
NemesisZidar Aug 18, 2013 @ 5:07am 
in my opinion this is looking quite better than Towns. Im not Ok with their look in Towns, their artdesign and graphics. DwarCorp is more appealing to me. I like that they use 2D Sprites in 3D environment like "Wings of Saint Nazaire". The Game is easy to understand and control but seems to get very complex. Towns is looking cool and was interesting but i dont know why they have to be that different. DwarfCorp btw is pretty different to Towns, same idea, different style.
✠FJR.2 Gefreiter Bunnyman5✠ Aug 18, 2013 @ 8:05am 
I agree with Nemesis this game has much more potential and From reading the discussions and reading the Dev posts I can tell it will be good
Completely Fair Games, Ltd.  [developer] Aug 18, 2013 @ 4:59pm 
Towns is great. So is Gnomoria, Castle Story, Stonehearth and Dwarf Fortress. Go play them. What's happened is that we've spontaneously formed a "genre" over the past few years of Dwarf-fortress-like sim/tycoon games. Sort of like there is a genre for First Person Shooters, Puzzle Platformers, or Metroidvanias.

Players will ultimately have to decide for themselves why they like or dislike our game. Personally, I think our game has a unique style and theme which ties the whole thing together.

It's best to see our game as a hybrid of Dwarf Fortress, Dungeon Keeper, and Minecraft. We draw heavily from these three games for our mechanics, visuals, and theme. If you play DK, you'll find we're extremely thematically similar (morally questionable motives, minions, and wealth acquisition at the expense of others). If you play DF, you'll find we're pretty mechanically similar (voxel-based, simulationist, digging under the ground + overworld). If you play Minecraft, you'll find that we're pretty visually similar. I think a lot of people see our game and immediately think its a "clone" of one of these three, or over another game inspired by DF (like Towns or Gnomoria).

Another important difference is your connection to the world. You have an explicit relationship with the Dwarves in your colony. You pay them. You hire and fire them. They write good or bad things about you. You also have an explicit relationship with your higher-ups, and with the wider world, as well as other civilizations. You have explicit goals, and your progress is tied to concrete numbers (your wealth and stock prices).

Our look, I feel, is also unique. We decided to go ahead and do full 3D environments mixed weirdly with hand-drawn sprites. This allows us to pump out a lot of content quickly while also keeping the nice 3D camera and effects. Also, in my opinion, all of our characters move in a way that's pretty unique as far as these kinds of games go.
DaniAngione Aug 18, 2013 @ 9:48pm 
I must agree with the developer. I'm totally backing this game! As a DF veteran and Gnomoria/Minecraft/Towns player, I can comprehend and see truth in all the points mentioned.

I must say that I look forward to a lot of complexity - not DF complexity, of course - but a good variety of mobs/rooms/crafts/etc. :)

And the visual style is definitely stunning! Love sprites on 3D and the animations seem great as of now :)

So yeah, I'm throwing my money (lol)
Just wanted to ask one thing beforehand: is modding support planned? I think that (like you said yourself here: "This allows us to pump out a lot of content quickly") the aesthetics chosen allows this game to have a HUGE amount of content and being able to draw and create our own items/creatures/civilizations/rooms/etc would be a huge plus!
Completely Fair Games, Ltd.  [developer] Aug 20, 2013 @ 3:39pm 
We really really love modding. We will try our best to support it. Right now, the prototype has limited support for things like texture packs. However, we want to support more modding; and that means exposing some of the scripts entities in the game use, and exposing the data files we use to define entities, biomes, voxels, and so on.
DaniAngione Aug 20, 2013 @ 4:59pm 
Oh! Great to know! :) Don't worry, I'm in no rush :P I'm just glad to know it and now I'm sure it was a good investment :)

Good luck with development!
Ashlacon Aug 20, 2013 @ 5:12pm 
First of all; I wasn't expecting a dev responce, thank you for taking the time to answer this thread.
Secondly, from the way you've desrcibed the game, and now that I've rewatched the videos with that in mind, this game no longer just reminds me of Towns; it now looks like a better version of Towns. I really hope to see this game grow big and get the sucess you guy's deserve.
I've heard a lot of horror stories about Steam Greenlight and how it can sometimes feel like a graveyard, but I have a good feeling that you guys will overcome that and get it greenlit. I look forward to following this game's sucess
Best of luck guys(:
Kenji_03 Sep 12, 2013 @ 5:21am 
@CompletelyFairGames - Very happy to see you're tackling the question of "is this DF with 3d?" head-on.

I think Gnomoria had a very nice approach with adding more danger to DF (since you can't re-settle and mobs are much more terrifying). I'm very interested to see your take on DF, and I already love the Isometric art style
PartyButler Sep 20, 2013 @ 6:26am 
Originally posted by Completely Fair Games, Ltd.:
Towns is great. So is Gnomoria, Castle Story, Stonehearth and Dwarf Fortress. Go play them. What's happened is that we've spontaneously formed a "genre" over the past few years of Dwarf-fortress-like sim/tycoon games. Sort of like there is a genre for First Person Shooters, Puzzle Platformers, or Metroidvanias.

Players will ultimately have to decide for themselves why they like or dislike our game. Personally, I think our game has a unique style and theme which ties the whole thing together.

It's best to see our game as a hybrid of Dwarf Fortress, Dungeon Keeper, and Minecraft. We draw heavily from these three games for our mechanics, visuals, and theme. If you play DK, you'll find we're extremely thematically similar (morally questionable motives, minions, and wealth acquisition at the expense of others). If you play DF, you'll find we're pretty mechanically similar (voxel-based, simulationist, digging under the ground + overworld). If you play Minecraft, you'll find that we're pretty visually similar. I think a lot of people see our game and immediately think its a "clone" of one of these three, or over another game inspired by DF (like Towns or Gnomoria).

Another important difference is your connection to the world. You have an explicit relationship with the Dwarves in your colony. You pay them. You hire and fire them. They write good or bad things about you. You also have an explicit relationship with your higher-ups, and with the wider world, as well as other civilizations. You have explicit goals, and your progress is tied to concrete numbers (your wealth and stock prices).

Our look, I feel, is also unique. We decided to go ahead and do full 3D environments mixed weirdly with hand-drawn sprites. This allows us to pump out a lot of content quickly while also keeping the nice 3D camera and effects. Also, in my opinion, all of our characters move in a way that's pretty unique as far as these kinds of games go.
I play DF and I was wondering what sets this apart from that and because of this post I will get this game
PotatoTomato Extraordinaire Oct 2, 2013 @ 9:40am 
Originally posted by Party Butler:
Originally posted by Completely Fair Games, Ltd.:

I play DF and I was wondering what sets this apart from that and because of this post I will get this game
I dont realy know. i think it looks like an awesome and simpler dwarf fortress.
Miner486 Oct 11, 2013 @ 6:20pm 
This game reminds me strongly of timber and stone. You guys should colaborate with the developer!
PotatoTomato Extraordinaire Oct 12, 2013 @ 9:11am 
Well lets think for a moment. We havent even played it yet.
Dize Oct 19, 2013 @ 12:08am 
Nice
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50