This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Chroma Squad
HaikenEdge Jul 17, 2014 @ 2:37pm
Saban wants their cut.
From the most recent Kickstarter update:

Hello everyone!

For quite some time we were absolutely focused in developing the beta version and releasing it for all early adopters to try. That's why we've stayed offline for sometime now. But a big thing happened, and considering that you all are our investors and backers, we have to talk to you about this.

The producers and attorneys from SABAN, the company that owns the rights for Power Rangers in the West, have been in contact with us for a while now. They have been playing our game and making some questions about it.

This week they've contacted us to offer a deal. They see two options in this negotiation: the first one being using the court to make sure that our game wouldn't get released. The second option would be that they would join our project with a royalty share. We both prefer the second option, considering that going into court would be painful for both sides. So, we started a win-win negotiation.

You all know that our game is inspired by something much broader than Power Rangers. We're talking about an amazing Sentai culture that is mostly Japanese, but got even bigger with fans from around the world. We're talking about tokusatsu in general, japanese super heroes, animes, kamen riders, everything that inspired us very much in our childhood and continue to inspire us now.

We're talking to them right now and we hope that everything goes well, and we can stay indie as we want, and as the game needs to be: heartful, inspiring, amazing, and with a lot of jokes, quirky stories and every bit of the meta layer that we love.

Don't worry, we'll do everything to make the game come out!
Have a great week, and I hope pretty soon you'll all gonna play the game.
Cheers!

Screencap[imgur.com]
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
< >
Jedia Kyrol Jul 18, 2014 @ 7:31am 
Every single backer is telling them to fight tooth and nail though...I really wish they would. SABAN doesn't have a foot to stand on, and they know it...they are just bullying a small company in the hopes that they will cave.
Nightgaunt Jul 19, 2014 @ 3:08pm 
Originally posted by Jedia Kyrol:
Every single backer is telling them to fight tooth and nail though...I really wish they would. SABAN doesn't have a foot to stand on, and they know it...they are just bullying a small company in the hopes that they will cave.
The problem is that even if Saban is completely in the wrong, the legal fees of fighting it would still be disastrous to a small company like Behold Studios.
Jedia Kyrol Jul 19, 2014 @ 5:25pm 
yeah...they're pretty much screwed...There really should be a law that states if a patent/copyright case finds in favor of the accused, the accusor has to pay all court fees, as well as compensation for potential work lost. Trolling/bullying would completely stop...until they find some other shady way of doing it.
keetarin Jul 21, 2014 @ 11:30pm 
yeah...they're pretty much screwed...There really should be a law that states if a patent/copyright case finds in favor of the accused, the accusor has to pay all court fees, as well as compensation for potential work lost. Trolling/bullying would completely stop...until they find some other shady way of doing it.
Wish I could "Like" this because it's so true...
Joe Stanley Laserpants Jul 25, 2014 @ 4:54pm 

There is a law like that in Canada. In a civil suit, the loser has the pay the court costs of the winner. That's why there are almost no frivilous lawsuits in Canada.
whoispeterparker Jul 28, 2014 @ 3:46pm 
why iam happy i am canadaian making my power rangers fan game with vx ace its 100% free anyways but if they tried to sue me they would probably lose. Mostly due to the fact that u kno non-profit and all but canada is great for throwing out frivilous lawsuits :)
DarkLordOfOZ Aug 1, 2014 @ 4:47pm 
Saban used fotage form this japenises tv show www.supersentai.com/database/1992_zyuranger/index.htm#axzz39BcJoaGp
it was made by Toei Company, Ltd. Saban is a toy Company in japen they do not own
super sentai they make the toys and redo the tv show for the US TV http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toei_Company http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandai
Jedia Kyrol Aug 1, 2014 @ 4:56pm 
Originally posted by DarkLordOfOZ:
Saban used fotage form this japenises tv show www.supersentai.com/database/1992_zyuranger/index.htm#axzz39BcJoaGp
it was made by Toei Company, Ltd. Saban is a toy Company in japen they do not own
super sentai they make the toys and redo the tv show for the US TV http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toei_Company http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandai

they bought the overseas distribution rights from Toei back in the early 80s...just like Harmony Gold did with Macross. Thanks to that bit of legal dickery, they can actually block Toei from airing their own show outside Japan. And SABAN is an American company, owned by a guy named Haim Saban
Last edited by Jedia Kyrol; Aug 1, 2014 @ 4:58pm
whoispeterparker Aug 2, 2014 @ 5:19am 
this^
Joe Stanley Laserpants Aug 3, 2014 @ 12:30am 
To be honest, I'm almost convinced that, with Saban involved, the game is going to get tanked. Either it will be unreasonably priced, or elements will be changed that will render the game unenjoyable.
DarkLordOfOZ Aug 4, 2014 @ 6:40pm 
i hope not this looks fun there are so many crappy games out there
and not enough good games when a game franchise starts introducing
A
Time travlel
B
Alens
C
Oh my god We are Charcters in a video game
D
All of The above.

and this game franchise has never had any of these things
in the other games it is time to put the game out of it masry
and kill of the mane chracter
Last edited by DarkLordOfOZ; Sep 23, 2014 @ 3:52pm
TheRealSuReSHoT Aug 9, 2014 @ 6:43pm 
Ridiculous. It is not like Saban owns the rights to all things Sentai. Even then, I don't see them specifically calling this power rangers or anything. Depending on how humorous the content is, they could maybe even fall under parody protection.
Joe Stanley Laserpants Aug 9, 2014 @ 6:50pm 
Originally posted by TheRealSuReSHoT:
Ridiculous. It is not like Saban owns the rights to all things Sentai. Even then, I don't see them specifically calling this power rangers or anything. Depending on how humorous the content is, they could maybe even fall under parody protection.

Saban owns the distribution rights to Sentai in North and South America. That includes video games. Not to mention, the satire defense only can take you so far. From what I've seen of this game, it's mostly a tribute to all things sentai, self-aware, but not sarcastic or cynical. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if a court would rule in their favor or not. Just trying to defend themselves could bankrupt these guys while Saban's legal team ties the matter up in court for years. And during that time, the game can't be distributed. It's a no-win scenario.
Last edited by Joe Stanley Laserpants; Aug 9, 2014 @ 6:52pm
DarkLordOfOZ Aug 20, 2014 @ 6:40pm 
I know what thing Saban is having a hissy fit over the brain in the fish tank it is too
semmler to Zordon if his dilloge was redone to not use interdemisnol being and stuck in time warp Saban would have no case
Glaber Aug 20, 2014 @ 10:37pm 
If saban is getting involved, then the best thing I thing could happen is the use of look alike props from the actual show.
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50