This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
64fanatic Jul 24, 2013 @ 10:52pm
Will the sound mixing not be god awful? PS3 version was messed up.
The original game had sound mixing problems with things being too quiet but the way they tried to "fix" it was a total mess on the PS3 with audio being all blown out, tinny, crackling in places, or straight up just cutting out. I don't even know how they got past the quality assurance at Sony to release the game.

None of these problems were present on the 360 version (or Red Seeds Profile, the original PS3 version, yes I own that version too which had frame rate issues just like the DC version that they never fixed I'm guessing because the engine is made for the 360, ported to PS3, but the audio wasn't broken) so despite it maybe having low volume in some sections was actually superior. This PC release being based off the director's cut worries me because of this. Can you guys use the old audio or at least hire somebody who knows how to do anything this time?

Its crazy to see that they're using a port and then porting the port to PC. Double port.

I sound bitter because I am, the PS3 version burned me with its awful frame rate and messed up sound, still I would like to see this finally be the best the game can be instead of continually going backwards.

Example of broken audio in DC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGbgSVNHUbE

Original 360 game: (skip to 34:29)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O7DZ2d5sRU&feature=player_detailpage&t=2064

Echoey, skippy broken totally blown out cutscene audio:

As a bonus the audio and game hitch up now and then while this guy is driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfeQP1VPIEU

So you can see why I'd be worried about this PC release. I know it'll be smooth as butter, maybe even look better but you can only do so much with a game engine that went through developmental hell during the ps2 era and ended up on the 360/PS3 much later.

But this game is all about the wacky story , music, and audio really to me and its a total disaster in DC.
Last edited by 64fanatic; Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:20pm
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Dedlok Jul 25, 2013 @ 1:48am 
PS3 Director's Cut was not a port of the 360 version. The game was available on both 360 and PS3 in Japan, but when they first released it to the United States they only brought over the 360 version. So the PC version will not be a port of a port. It will just be a port.
64fanatic Jul 25, 2013 @ 2:46am 
Originally posted by Dedlok:
PS3 Director's Cut was not a port of the 360 version. The game was available on both 360 and PS3 in Japan, but when they first released it to the United States they only brought over the 360 version. So the PC version will not be a port of a port. It will just be a port.

Alright, still has the "DC being a broken mess" problem though
roxahris Jul 25, 2013 @ 4:53am 
Yes, this is quite an important point. When I played the 360 version at the house of somebody I knew, I found the audio (in 7.1 surround, no less) to be quite perfect. It wouldn't be hard to say the idiosyncrasies in the mixing contributed to the overall feel of the game itself. The things I hear about the Director's Cut version make it sound like one hell of a downgrade. One scene from the start of the game revolved around the joke that neither you nor York could hear what anybody was saying. If the audio in that was "fixed" in the PC release, I'd be pretty annoyed.
The_Zooblord Jul 25, 2013 @ 9:21am 
Originally posted by roxahris:
Yes, this is quite an important point. When I played the 360 version at the house of somebody I knew, I found the audio (in 7.1 surround, no less) to be quite perfect. It wouldn't be hard to say the idiosyncrasies in the mixing contributed to the overall feel of the game itself. The things I hear about the Director's Cut version make it sound like one hell of a downgrade. One scene from the start of the game revolved around the joke that neither you nor York could hear what anybody was saying. If the audio in that was "fixed" in the PC release, I'd be pretty annoyed.

Yeah! I played the 360 and PS3 version, and the audio in the PS3 version was a thousand times worse. It was really a shame :(.

That joke with Polly was a perfect example. Originally, York and Polly are sitting at opposite ends of a needlessly huge dining table, and a lot of the humor of that scene revolves around the fact that they are so far away they can't hear each other. However, at the same time, the whistle-y derpy amazing kazoo music is BLASTING so loud that you, the player, can barely hear their voices yourself, and only the subtitles really save you.

It made the scene even funnier, in its own Deadly Premonition way. It worked beautifully on the 360 version.

However, in the PS3 port, the audio mixing ruined the scene. This time, we could barely hear the music at all. Sure, you could hear the characters now, but the humor was kind of lost, and on top of that it was so far down we couldn't even hear the track. Whether you want the voices or the music to be more prominent, cutting the music out almost entirely is a mistake. It's the best song in teh game, it's hilarious, and it needs to be heard.

I really hope that they use or imitate the 360 audio mix for the PC port. It made the game great.
Freddo Jul 31, 2013 @ 5:03am 
One thing I really hope for is a better car engine sound. Usually when I drove longer distances in the PS3 version, I put the TV on mute.
64fanatic Aug 31, 2013 @ 1:39am 
Bump, this still hasn't been addressed anywhere.
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50