This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
Pr0m3theu$ Jul 18, 2013 @ 4:30pm
Offended by sexy cat alt outfit?
Haven't played the game yet, but saw a recent trailer which previewed some of the alternate costumes. Did anyone else roll their eyes at the sexy cat dominatrix outfit for Emily Wyatt? I mean come on, what's the point in putting a strong lead female character in a game if you're just going to have a "♥♥♥♥ mode" as an option?

I could see it being forgivable if all the characters had some goofy/kinky alt outfit (eg. gimp outfit for Francis Morgan) but I doubt the developers are putting that in. It serves no purpose other than to titilate and show how games remain a "boys club" where women are just treated as objects to gawk at. I ran into the same thing with Silent Hill: The Room and I really hated it.

Anyone else have similar feelings?
Showing 1-15 of 92 comments
< >
Wedge Jul 18, 2013 @ 5:45pm 
Nope. They're just giving her an option to fit in with everyone else in the town.
Last edited by Wedge; Jul 18, 2013 @ 5:45pm
Clarmeleon Jul 18, 2013 @ 7:39pm 
I thought the same thing as Wedge plus it could have been a nod to one of York's favorite films: Cat People.
Fritz Jul 18, 2013 @ 8:05pm 
Nope, get over it.
StuMan Jul 18, 2013 @ 9:21pm 
Originally posted by Clarmeleon:
I thought the same thing as Wedge plus it could have been a nod to one of York's favorite films: Cat People.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Kain Jul 18, 2013 @ 9:59pm 
As sexy cat, i am very very offended
angary Jul 18, 2013 @ 10:04pm 
Deleted my comment about this on the comments section to bring it here. I agree, the costume shouldn't have been included and is, in my opinion, a cheap way to advertise the game. I was really disappointed when I saw it. Emily is one of my favorite female video game characters, and her getting an alternate sexy costume - *while* York just gets wacky alternate suit patterns - feels like it's demeaning her, to me. But like I said, at least it's just DLC and hopefully will stay that way, should this game be available on Steam - which I hope it will be!

All that said, I hope this doesn't turn you off from playing DP in the future. It's a fantastic game, regardless of the dumb cat costume :)
Last edited by angary; Jul 18, 2013 @ 10:04pm
UncleChuck190 Jul 18, 2013 @ 10:41pm 
Did you just say a Sexy Cat Emily offends you, but a Gimp York is fine? Anyways, you shouldn't worry about that kinda stuff so much, it's just alternate costumes.
kevinski Jul 19, 2013 @ 12:42am 
I'm not a fan of it, but it's optional, so I don't mind its inclusion. I wish the alternative costumes were integrated into the flow of time within the game, though. For example, Emily already wears at least two other costumes in the game, depending on the scene. (She has two different dresses.) It'd be cool if characters just changed clothes daily or (better yet) after certain times. For example, maybe have Emily change out of her deputy uniform in the locker room within the Sheriff's Department and leave in civilian clothes after work each day.
Crestfallen_Rose Jul 19, 2013 @ 3:42am 
Emily is a strong female character in the game.
She's a deputy and there's even a section of the game that you can play as her; and trust me, she can handle her own.

I'm not sure if you've heard of the game before, but it was originally released for the Xbox 360 and recently re-released as the Director's Cut for the PS3.

And now, for the Steam version, they've created a bonus outfit for Emily as "Fan Service".
That's just how Japan is; when they develop a fan base for their video games, they're sometimes inspired to create bonus content - such as ridiculous "Joke" outfits for favorite characters.

It really isn't meant to be taken seriously, I assure you.

It's okay to roll your eyes; it is rather silly - but it doesn't affect Emily's personality or the overall gameplay, as it's just a costume.
Last edited by Crestfallen_Rose; Jul 19, 2013 @ 3:44am
Keitaro004 Jul 19, 2013 @ 4:56am 
I do not really care, as it is optional. It's typical of Japan to release fanservice stuff of every female character they have made, only to appeal to the otaku (A person obsessed with his hobby, usually Anime/Manga) crowd with posters & merchandise. Just do not use it and it will not hurt your gameplay.
Zol-leks Jul 19, 2013 @ 11:44am 
How dare women ever be represented as sexy! Sexy woman don't exist!
It's an alternate costume, you might have point if it was the main costume, but it's an alternate costume that you never have to interact with if you don't want too.

There is a different between a sexy alternate costume, and flat out just making the character being sexualized right off of the bat. Take for instance Ellie in Dead Space 3, in 2 she looked just like a normal woman and was a good character, the minute you see her in 3 she has had a GIGANTIC boob job and her shirt zipped down to reveal it. That is offensive, that is going "look guys, boobs = character development."

This cat costume? This is just a side thing that doesn't really matter at all seeing as how Emily is a strong character already, it takes literally nothing away from her. Seriously, people need to get over having a woman being sexy at all in a game for any reason as a bad thing. WHAT IS THIS KOTAKU?
Thorgrim103 Jul 19, 2013 @ 12:55pm 
Whats with all this MUH STRONK FEMALE ROLEMODELS. It's a freaking video game.
I don't mind silly ♥♥♥♥ like this. This would be like a woman complaing if for instance any more reaveling alternate costume for a dude. We live in a world of double standards so that will never happen. Yet still this is silly and dumb. Keep the Gimp and car outfits.
Physicsdummy Jul 19, 2013 @ 1:52pm 
What people are saying about the old '40s movie Cat People is the point of the costume, not just pure titilation.
◆X-13◆(Owldolf Hootler) Jul 19, 2013 @ 4:07pm 
what a cry baby, deal with it. there will be less clothes once modders get their hands on it. i want everyone naked.
Jinxvorheeze Jul 19, 2013 @ 9:33pm 
Really man, it's not like they changed her actual outfit. You are complaining about an optional bonus costume? Psh.
Showing 1-15 of 92 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50