This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Maia
chris1980 Sep 28, 2013 @ 7:41am
Er 12 light years away...really?
Its ridiculous that this planet is 12 light years from Earth. How do you propose the spaceship from earth could ever travel that quickly to get there? You do realise travel faster than the speed of light is not possible right? How could Maia have comms with Earth? Even if they (somehow) sent light signals that far it would take 12 years. Thats 24 years to exchange a single message.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
ValiantJared Sep 28, 2013 @ 7:58am 
you do realize this is science wait for it.... *fiction* right?

you know the genre that has all kinds of things like warp drives, wormholes, jump drives, etc?
NihlusGreen Sep 30, 2013 @ 1:00am 
Spoiler: Science Fiction is not real!

And in this case its the destination and not the journey :)
Last edited by NihlusGreen; Jan 29 @ 1:52am
Geldon Sep 30, 2013 @ 1:18pm 
It's funny, less than 80 years ago we believed that the sound barrier was unbreakable, too. Right now we've got plenty of mathematics telling us that the speed of light would require infinite energy to achieve, but how many vessels have we sent to try? None.

In any case, I'll point out that you have no idea how they achieved going 12 light years. For all you know, they slowboated it in a generation ship or with cryogenics.

Also, this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2204913/Nasa-breakthrough-suggests-Star-Treks-warp-drives-possible--practical.html
chris1980 Sep 30, 2013 @ 1:40pm 
You almost convinced me until you post an article from...the Daily Mail...oh dear.
NihlusGreen Oct 1, 2013 @ 12:08am 
Hi Chris,

Do you have an interest in Maia? Or just looking for opportunitys for your "Thumbs Down Group"?
simon  [developer] Oct 4, 2013 @ 10:00am 
This is hard scifi, meaning it is based on feasible reality. All the science is accurate and I have researched everything to the best of my abilities. There are gaps, but it's certainly not impossible.

Originally posted by author:
How could Maia have comms with Earth?

The point of the game is that it is a one way journey, no contact with earth.

Originally posted by author:
How do you propose the spaceship from earth could ever travel that quickly to get there?

Using a ram jet technique running off interstellar hydrogen, pushed into a fusion engine using the scoop of massive magnetic fields. A ship can accelerate at a few G for several decades, (more if the interstellar medium is dense enough and the gravity can be mitigated) due to relativity, the crew on board will only experience a few years travel. The key is getting those fields effective enough to pull in the particles without producing a "drag" effect. However there are plenty of theories of how to do that.

The initial velocity needed to make the ram scoop effective can be achieved by using an electromagnetic catapult on the moon to launch an initial crewed ship at human tolerable acceleration.. and the reaction mass such the ship would need, can be launched much faster, allowing the small ship to catch up to it eventually, emptying it's own reaction mass in the process then docking with its tanker. Then it will just be a case of making good use of a powered flyby on one of the solar systems larger masses, to make use of the oberth effect and then riding the solar wind as much as you can.

The same catapult, railgun, etc can pre-seed their journey with usable hydrogen atoms for periods of space with little medium, so the ship's crew can maintain gravity for the maximum amount of the trip.
Last edited by simon; Oct 4, 2013 @ 10:21am
chris1980 Oct 4, 2013 @ 11:02am 
Ok, that makes sense.

How did they find discover planet though? The amount of space they would have to travel through to find a habitable planet would be enormous.
simon  [developer] Oct 4, 2013 @ 11:13am 
Well the planet was a theory of mine based on statistics, the makeup of it's solar system and the like.

And recently it turned out that it does actually exist!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/simonroth/maia/posts/372260

You can detect planets by observing their stars. The planet spinning around a star will make the star wobble a tiny amount, by measuring the offset we can make solid estimates about the objects orbiting a sun.
HeavyMetal_WhiteTurtle Oct 6, 2013 @ 12:14pm 
You know only your game is interesting on the first 10 pages of green light games
PhoenixS Oct 13, 2013 @ 7:04am 
I'm sure one day Faster than Light travel will be created and if not, then this is a damn game! Plus how much sci-fi out there has FTL? A lot, if not all in some variation. Relax already hater.
Strange Fruit Oct 30, 2013 @ 1:20pm 
Looks to me like the original poster is some sort of prat who no-one really listens to, and so has to post drivel to get noticed.
sunshine avis Nov 14, 2013 @ 11:31am 
Dude.

Mind=blown. I can't even function right now because Simon's reply gave me scientifically induced shivers.
Harvey Nov 20, 2013 @ 12:27am 
Originally posted by Geldon:
It's funny, less than 80 years ago we believed that the sound barrier was unbreakable, too. Right now we've got plenty of mathematics telling us that the speed of light would require infinite energy to achieve, but how many vessels have we sent to try? None.

In any case, I'll point out that you have no idea how they achieved going 12 light years. For all you know, they slowboated it in a generation ship or with cryogenics.

Also, this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2204913/Nasa-breakthrough-suggests-Star-Treks-warp-drives-possible--practical.html

Well thats a bit of a false analogy. We could easily look to nature to find things that go faster then sound, but what goes faster then light.Does not mean its impossible but isimplausible at best.

That said there are theoretical ways of getting around the light barrier that would make it plausible, wormholes , tachyons etc. SUre its all theoretical but they do have a solid mathematical basis to them so that makes it plausible.

Good science fiuction is always based upon reality and consistent within its own universe. I think Simon ROth will likely come up with a good reason for this that is plausible enough IMO.
Old Man Paul Nov 26, 2013 @ 6:36pm 
Actually, We couldn't see what goes faster than light, because our eyes rely on light to see things. Soooooo its more than possible. There could be things moving faster than light all around us, be we can't see them, not without reflections of light.
chris1980 Nov 27, 2013 @ 3:27am 
Originally posted by KoR | Harvy:
Actually, We couldn't see what goes faster than light, because our eyes rely on light to see things. Soooooo its more than possible. There could be things moving faster than light all around us, be we can't see them, not without reflections of light.

Ah, except that we may observe the after effects that continue on long after, and much slower.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50