This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

CDF Ghostship
shaun  [developer] Jun 10, 2013 @ 3:23pm
Ghostship Alpha Feedback
If you have played the alpha and wish to give some feedback, we want to hear you thoughts on the game!
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
THAT_IS_MY_PORPOISE Jun 17, 2013 @ 6:13pm 
Let's start with the criticism:

Originally posted by Larrywho:
I have 2 questsions. Will your game have a difficulty mode? I tried to play and died very quickly.
I did not know danger was behind me. The second question will you have a aimming cross hair on the screen? It is difficult to see where you are aiming. I like the feel of the game. However, it may be too difficult for persons like me to play in its current state.

It was really quite difficult and this is coming from a very experienced gamer. I played through the alpha (finally, it took me forever because it was so hard) and really like it. One thing that is important especially in survival horror games is difficulty scaling. The enemies at the beginning of the game where ammo sponges taking quite a few shots to kill, and their sprint thing when they got close to me was devestating because they would glitch behind me afterwords, practically ensuring my death. You recomment to take them out before they get close, but that is nigh impossible because of how inaccurate the weapons are. I'm fine with inaccurate weapons, but they were effectively flashlights against the enemies. Despite how this sounds, I really liked the game, but it was quite difficult to the point of being quite frustrating and losing its sense of fun.

I also had huge trouble with the map screen. Every time that I would open it, it would stay stuck on the screen after I clicked close. I could still move around in the world and shoot and such, but I had to play the game with a map screen covering everything, which, as the game is crazy difficult, didn't last long. Also, every time I attempted to open the "Goliath Deck Plan" the game would crash, leaving me dissatisfied.

Now, for the good stuff:

The atmosphere was beautifully made. I was held in beautiful suspense from the get go. The story and the ship are quite intriguing, and I really wanted to know more about it. I was a bit confused by the sheer amount of game options, but I was also intrigued and managed to play almost all of them. Just make sure you don't let trying to have so many game types affect the qualities of those respective game types.

This has the potential to make for a very great game, and I have already given the greenlight thumbs up for it, but there are some issues that need addressing.

Good job and Good Luck

Sine Cera

Brandt Bates
shaun  [developer] Jun 17, 2013 @ 6:42pm 
Thanks for the feedback. The map screen currently has a bug which is mentioned in the readme file. If you press the m key for map, then do not press m key again. Close the map with the exit button, this should also work fine if you open the Goliath map screen. If M is pressed more than once and you try and close the map screen it will not work as you stated. If you could please try the map bit again as i suggested and please let me know if its still the same, if it is it should not be and could do with a few more details from you to try and get to the bottom of the problem.

The enemies are quite difficult, and they jump and pounce on you, they also can lead your position and attack where they assume you might go. They also play dead randomly, so be careful. They should not glitch when attacking they are just very fast with their attacks. I will be making this easier and at the beginning of the beta and full game you will be introduced to the leeches first which are a quite easy in comparison to the biters.

Thanks once again for the feedback, Our aim is to bring you the best experience possible and not a frustrating one so some more refinements will be made with the aliens and the bugs cleaned up. There will also be different difficulties in the beta too.

shaun  [developer] Jun 17, 2013 @ 6:44pm 
Just a quick one Old man jim, how far did you get on story mode, where did you go after you took the lockdown from the bridge? Did you find the mini gun, smgs, prototype rifle, high grade lazer rifle etc.
GarkatronTheDestroyer Jun 21, 2013 @ 8:26pm 
Hey Shaun, i played ghostship and its pretty bad ♥♥♥. i like the dead space kind of feel and i think you have a good project going. The game is a little difficult especialy in the begining but i think if ads was just a little more accurate i wouldnt have a problem. i cant wait for the finished game and will probly get it.
shaun  [developer] Jun 23, 2013 @ 7:07am 
Hi Frimaster33, the game will be more fine tuned to give an easier start for the player. The first enemies you will encounter are the leeches which are quite an easy enemy, you would then meet some of the other the further into the ship you explore. There are plenty of weapons if you can find them which can be more accurate, there are lots of different weapons so make sure you find them and reap their rewards - Plasma SMG, Mk3 Plasma Rifle, Mk4 Plasma Prototype Rifle, Lazer Rifle, High-Grade lazer rifle, Plasma Mini-gun and the lazer and plasma pistols. The accuracy of weapons is being fine tuned, and will be noticeable in the next alpha release next month.
Bone Jun 30, 2013 @ 12:24am 
Need feedback on the alpha? I got feedback:

Good Stuff:
-> The environment is dark, creepy and atmospheric. Reminds me of playing Aliens Versus Predator 1 (released in 2000). Great usage of fog effects and darkness to set the mood.
-> There doesn't appear to be any texture pop-in.
-> Having two types of weapons is a good touch: Regenerating laser weapons and ammo-based weapons.
-> Lots of content to explore in the alpha. Can't wait for the beta.
-> I like that you've made it so that each weapon is useful for a specific purpose.
-> I like the concept of Onslaught Mode. Reminds me of UT2004.

Bad Stuff:
-> The AI does wonky things at all times. Things like: Getting stuck on crates, dead bodies, in walls, in ceilings, in metal railings, in door frames, in doors, and in eachother. True, the AI is WIP, but it is a bit problematic to make a judgement call on it for the full-game. Is it possible to show a video where the AI responds better?
-> Some framerate drops in certain sections of the ship, for odd reasons. My worse framerate was in Medical in the pitch black corridors. Shining a light in them, reveals nothing that should be eating the framerate.
-> Have had some problems with the PhysX... though not as bad as the Palanduss user. Plasma SMG also doesn't like me.
-> Most of the textures look a bit 'dated'. The weapons in particular show this off very quickly; some of the weapons even look like they are made of plastic, rather than metal. This may be because of any number of reasons, but as I haven't heard talk of why the graphics are this way, I can't really comment. For an UDK-based game, I'd have expected greater graphical fidelity for Unreal Engine 3... unless of course you are using Unreal Engine 2 (Unreal Tournament 2004 ran on this)? Like, most of the graphics look worse than Unreal Tournament 3, which was released back in 2007 (and was one of the first games to run on UE3), but yet, the game runs far poorer... I can run UT3 with Maximum all settings and have a solid 60 FPS.
-> The aliens, although original in idea, and never seen before in gaming or movie history, are still too similiar in scope. Almost all of them shown have lots of teeth, mottled brown or green skin, no eyes, and stocky legs. Some additional variety in monster shapes or textures might help... having all the enemies to be the same textures worked great in older games where it was harder to produce and load a myriad of different types of beasties (ie AVP). These days though with processing power and RAM you can do things that before, you couldn't.
-> In the beginning of the game it is tough as nails... even harder than AVP 1 Director's Cut difficulty (I beat the entire Marine campaign on this difficulty... IT WAS BLOODY HARD). However, once you get your hands on a MK3 Plasma Rifle or the Assault Lazer Rifle, the game becomes a cakewalk in the Alpha. The plasma pistol and lazer pistol are extremely unreliable weapons, which makes it more difficult to survive than should be necessary. They appear to do little damage, and have some clips, whereas you seem to get absolutely swarmed in the beginning and becomes too easy later on.
-> The Plasma SMG scope. Man that thing has too much magnification. Though I hear this got fixed for the V0.36 Alpha.
-> Zombies. Though I hear this got fixed for the V0.36 Alpha.
-> Difficulty in determing hitboxes on enemies. Is every part of their body considered as a valid target for attacks? Doesn't seem to be.
-> Getting stuck on objects, crates, doorframes, dead bodies, computers and a host of other things is a pain in the butt.
-> Encountering the Main Access Corridor for the first time and getting massacred about 7 times before I realized I needed to rush to the RAT and then retreat was a pain in the butt.
-> Having tons of trouble activating the captain's console on Deck 1.
-> Having the maintenance door close too fast and ending up suffocating on Deck 7, because I couldn't escape in time.
-> Dying a lot in the Hanger because I didn't know that I was supposed to run, rather than stand and fight. No prompt was given telling me this.
-> Having no Bot support for Onslaught Mode makes it basically unplayable.
-> No clear "victory" conditions. How do we determine if we've "won"... its easy to determine when we lose.
-> The smaller targets are extremely hard to kill at a range, due to inaccuracy of weapons, size of enemies, and how quickly they move. Most of the time in the early game you get massacred, because you are stuck with the Plasma SMG, Plasma Pistol and Lazer Pistol. When you get the Lazer Rifle, you feel adequately defensible at least until you find the MK3 Plasma Rifle.
-> The Plasma/Lazer Pistol are suicidal to use except in extreme close quarters (where their small clip will usually spell your death) in the early game and completely useless mid to late game. They are what basically makes the initial game TOO hard. They do too little damage, are too inaccurate, have small clip sizes and aiming down the sights with them doesn't work on all the resolution modes. If you are to keep these in the game, I'd suggest buffing them heavily. Its a real turn off to die constantly at the start of the game simply because you lack the necessary firepower to survive, simply because you don't have it available.

Neutral Stuff:
-> I agree with Palanduss in that Laser Weapons shouldn't have recoil, as they are firing weightless photons. Though this is more of a metagaming issue, and I don't really care either way.
-> The concept of plasma-tipped weapons makes little sense to me. Do you have any idea how hard it would be to store pressurized ionized gasses in excess of 50,000 degrees Celsius worth of thermal energy in a small tip? I'd say dispense with the whole bullet-tipped part and go straight for plasma-bolts. Though this is a minor issue for me and don't really care either way, as it essentially does the whole plasma bolt on impact.
-> In some cases it is so dark that you cannot observe how good or bad the walls, ceilings or floor is.

I think you can pull this off if the major glaring bad issues are fixed. I hope you continue to work on this game, and keep up the good work!
shaun  [developer] Jun 30, 2013 @ 6:25am 
Thanks for your feedback Bone, I am a very experienced modeler and would love to spend more time on the models and environments, but with doing all the game by myself this takes time.

A lot of what you have said has been already implemented, and you can test this for yourself in the new alpha. Be releasing this in around 10 Days :)

I have restructured and re-done the story mode, easier and slowly builds up, with some new and different enemies.

Done much more texture work, you will find it much better !

Fine tuned weapons!

Optimised the game a little more :)

The New and impressive helmet view - http://youtu.be/HgbUcxEe0rg

Over all there are lots and lots of changes, additions and polish, this is all due to your feedback Thanks :)

Bone Jun 30, 2013 @ 8:30am 
Well, I've taken a look at some of your earlier works on Youtube, and they definitely are extremely well-made and modelled, and I can't wait to see that same kind of quality and dedication in Ghostship. Its true that when you are a solo developer and have to do everything by yourself, it is sometimes better to have functional graphics with a functional game, rather than brillant graphics and a non-functioning game.

Okay, I'll look forward to the new alpha in over a week or so, and post my new impressions to it. A new and redesigned story mode... exciting!

I'm glad that you've implemented changes to the weapons. I noticed in your Oculus Rift demo, that the Lazer weapons seemed to be more accurate and easier to use. The entire oculus rift support really makes the game truely shine... makes me wish Aliens Colonial Marines had support for it and didn't utterly suck as well (what happened to AAA developers releasing the best in quality... to now releasing the worse in quality?)

I do really hope that CDF Ghostship is a success. I'm not entirely sure where people's gripes are coming from for the game... besides maybe graphics... but as I and you stated earlier, as a one-man army, you only have so much time to do everything... funding is needed to get additional programmers on board, so that you can focus more on the story and texture work. And as very few have commented on it, its hard to say.
Borris Jul 28, 2013 @ 1:29pm 
Graphics on this game are brilliant and it doesn't feel like dead space at all. This game is unique and is a great and fun game to play. Do not judge this game just on the looks of the aliens and how they perform in the game. You should Judge it all on what is the difference to a normal first person shooter. many new views add more ways to play the game it even includes a helmet view. There is many weapons and equipment around the ship for you to find this is something good and gives the game a more challenging way to find guns around the ship. There is also allot of modes in the game giving it allot of replay value Really worth having a go at the alpha As it gives a good feel to how big the ghost ship is
shaun  [developer] Jul 28, 2013 @ 3:22pm 
Originally posted by smclaughlin35:
Graphics on this game are brilliant and it doesn't feel like dead space at all. This game is unique and is a great and fun game to play. Do not judge this game just on the looks of the aliens and how they perform in the game. You should Judge it all on what is the difference to a normal first person shooter. many new views add more ways to play the game it even includes a helmet view. There is many weapons and equipment around the ship for you to find this is something good and gives the game a more challenging way to find guns around the ship. There is also allot of modes in the game giving it allot of replay value Really worth having a go at the alpha As it gives a good feel to how big the ghost ship is

Thanks! Playing is believing! Play the alpha, Its Free! Weeks of gameplay! http://www.cdfghostship.com
shaun  [developer] Jul 28, 2013 @ 3:23pm 
Originally posted by Bone:
Need feedback on the alpha? I got feedback:

Good Stuff:
-> The environment is dark, creepy and atmospheric. Reminds me of playing Aliens Versus Predator 1 (released in 2000). Great usage of fog effects and darkness to set the mood.
-> There doesn't appear to be any texture pop-in.
-> Having two types of weapons is a good touch: Regenerating laser weapons and ammo-based weapons.
-> Lots of content to explore in the alpha. Can't wait for the beta.
-> I like that you've made it so that each weapon is useful for a specific purpose.
-> I like the concept of Onslaught Mode. Reminds me of UT2004.

Bad Stuff:
-> The AI does wonky things at all times. Things like: Getting stuck on crates, dead bodies, in walls, in ceilings, in metal railings, in door frames, in doors, and in eachother. True, the AI is WIP, but it is a bit problematic to make a judgement call on it for the full-game. Is it possible to show a video where the AI responds better?
-> Some framerate drops in certain sections of the ship, for odd reasons. My worse framerate was in Medical in the pitch black corridors. Shining a light in them, reveals nothing that should be eating the framerate.
-> Have had some problems with the PhysX... though not as bad as the Palanduss user. Plasma SMG also doesn't like me.
-> Most of the textures look a bit 'dated'. The weapons in particular show this off very quickly; some of the weapons even look like they are made of plastic, rather than metal. This may be because of any number of reasons, but as I haven't heard talk of why the graphics are this way, I can't really comment. For an UDK-based game, I'd have expected greater graphical fidelity for Unreal Engine 3... unless of course you are using Unreal Engine 2 (Unreal Tournament 2004 ran on this)? Like, most of the graphics look worse than Unreal Tournament 3, which was released back in 2007 (and was one of the first games to run on UE3), but yet, the game runs far poorer... I can run UT3 with Maximum all settings and have a solid 60 FPS.
-> The aliens, although original in idea, and never seen before in gaming or movie history, are still too similiar in scope. Almost all of them shown have lots of teeth, mottled brown or green skin, no eyes, and stocky legs. Some additional variety in monster shapes or textures might help... having all the enemies to be the same textures worked great in older games where it was harder to produce and load a myriad of different types of beasties (ie AVP). These days though with processing power and RAM you can do things that before, you couldn't.
-> In the beginning of the game it is tough as nails... even harder than AVP 1 Director's Cut difficulty (I beat the entire Marine campaign on this difficulty... IT WAS BLOODY HARD). However, once you get your hands on a MK3 Plasma Rifle or the Assault Lazer Rifle, the game becomes a cakewalk in the Alpha. The plasma pistol and lazer pistol are extremely unreliable weapons, which makes it more difficult to survive than should be necessary. They appear to do little damage, and have some clips, whereas you seem to get absolutely swarmed in the beginning and becomes too easy later on.
-> The Plasma SMG scope. Man that thing has too much magnification. Though I hear this got fixed for the V0.36 Alpha.
-> Zombies. Though I hear this got fixed for the V0.36 Alpha.
-> Difficulty in determing hitboxes on enemies. Is every part of their body considered as a valid target for attacks? Doesn't seem to be.
-> Getting stuck on objects, crates, doorframes, dead bodies, computers and a host of other things is a pain in the butt.
-> Encountering the Main Access Corridor for the first time and getting massacred about 7 times before I realized I needed to rush to the RAT and then retreat was a pain in the butt.
-> Having tons of trouble activating the captain's console on Deck 1.
-> Having the maintenance door close too fast and ending up suffocating on Deck 7, because I couldn't escape in time.
-> Dying a lot in the Hanger because I didn't know that I was supposed to run, rather than stand and fight. No prompt was given telling me this.
-> Having no Bot support for Onslaught Mode makes it basically unplayable.
-> No clear "victory" conditions. How do we determine if we've "won"... its easy to determine when we lose.
-> The smaller targets are extremely hard to kill at a range, due to inaccuracy of weapons, size of enemies, and how quickly they move. Most of the time in the early game you get massacred, because you are stuck with the Plasma SMG, Plasma Pistol and Lazer Pistol. When you get the Lazer Rifle, you feel adequately defensible at least until you find the MK3 Plasma Rifle.
-> The Plasma/Lazer Pistol are suicidal to use except in extreme close quarters (where their small clip will usually spell your death) in the early game and completely useless mid to late game. They are what basically makes the initial game TOO hard. They do too little damage, are too inaccurate, have small clip sizes and aiming down the sights with them doesn't work on all the resolution modes. If you are to keep these in the game, I'd suggest buffing them heavily. Its a real turn off to die constantly at the start of the game simply because you lack the necessary firepower to survive, simply because you don't have it available.

Neutral Stuff:
-> I agree with Palanduss in that Laser Weapons shouldn't have recoil, as they are firing weightless photons. Though this is more of a metagaming issue, and I don't really care either way.
-> The concept of plasma-tipped weapons makes little sense to me. Do you have any idea how hard it would be to store pressurized ionized gasses in excess of 50,000 degrees Celsius worth of thermal energy in a small tip? I'd say dispense with the whole bullet-tipped part and go straight for plasma-bolts. Though this is a minor issue for me and don't really care either way, as it essentially does the whole plasma bolt on impact.
-> In some cases it is so dark that you cannot observe how good or bad the walls, ceilings or floor is.

I think you can pull this off if the major glaring bad issues are fixed. I hope you continue to work on this game, and keep up the good work!

So how is the new alpha compared to the old alpha?
Varius Mayhem Aug 2, 2013 @ 2:27am 
Played 0.36 just a few minutes ago, here is my feedback so far:

1. I can toggle on helmet vision... good! It looks good and the feeling is very nice. I like it.
Toggling it off again, however, isn't possible for me for some reason... bad! i don't know what went wrong, but pressing H and nothing happens is frustrating. This means you press H sometime in the game, you have to start from the last save, what would suck, or worse: Start a new game. Definetly not good.

2. Furthermore I played a little with resolution. Or rather I had to. I started playing in a high resolution of 1440x900 and the laser weapon was almost in my face. Once I got hold of the plasma weapon, its screen was offscreen. Playing with a resolution of 1024x768 solves the problem. all weapons are displayed as they seem to be shown.

3. Enemies in walls. It happened several times already. Biters running in walls, stuck and they can't get out anymore. Get a laser weapon and hope they stick out their ugly faces long enough for you to fry them. Needs to be fixed, but hey... It's Alpha, I'm only mentioning it to you to have a look at it. The zombies in the quarantine also jump a bit through the glass in order to attack me and later on through the hatch of their containment cell, breaking out without bending the door open. In other words, they jump right through it after some time.

4. Graphics... This looks great for an Alpha version. Maybe a bit more diversion in the body parts / corpses. Some bones, fraction of bones or some alien carcasses. You can't tell me a complete ship with marines goes down and they don't shoot even one of these things. Show us some scenes of battle, broken guns, alien carcasses and human bodies, maybe even some barricades. The ship looks empty or overgrown by the alien biomass/eggs but that just can't be all. There are places on the Goliath that look plain empty.

Well, that's it for now. Keep up the great work! I'll go look for some means of escape.
shaun  [developer] Aug 2, 2013 @ 4:35pm 
Thanks Varius Mayhem.

This is still an alpha build, there are a few problems, most will be sorted as soon as i can put a team together, programming is not my strong point. The helmet as in the readme file is activated when you start a new game, every time you start a new game you have the option to enable it. When we can get a programmer this will be toggle - able like 1st and third person.

The resolution is set for 1920x1080 or similar ratio. We still have much work to do on the options when we get a programmer.

Again with AI there are a few bugs as mentioned, again a programmer is needed and the ai will be bug free and much improved.

There are still more things to add yet such as barricades and carcasses, these will all come in time. There is still much more of the ship to do yet and more and more stuff will be added over time.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50