This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Teslagrad
Kein Zantezuken Aug 19, 2013 @ 4:02pm
Feedback/impressions on the demo
Okay, impressions so far: the beginning was rather boring, so boring that after few thoughts "Well, I've seen this already, nothing new and special, meh" I almost quit. But around the same time I reached first boss and decided to finish him. He was boring as well. Out of curiosity I went to see what he was guarding and this is where game took unexpected turn. Once you receive Blink Boots you are starting to realize potential of the gameplay. It literally changed the polarity of my mood, haha: from "well it is pretty but another rather boring platformer" to "why in the hell I thought it is boring when it is damn awesome!". So yeah, be patient with it and the gameplay will grow up on you in time.

And of course it is pretty in graphical aspects. Too bad the BG music/SFXt was kinda mediocre - this game really could benefit from beautiful OST like in Vessel. Something atmospheric like light "fantasy industrial" would fit, I think. Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMK-y8w6YhA
but with lighter and more calm, less intimidating mood to fit atmosphere.

Also, I didn't like controls. Clunky, unpolished (you can't use "attack" if yo jumped and there is a moving platform under you and many small and annoying things like that) - I really hope it just demo issues.

But overall impressions is really positive, I'm loving this.

Also, if you are badass enough:
http://rain-games.com/the-teslagrad-demo-is-here/
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Aslak  [developer] Aug 20, 2013 @ 12:11am 
It's great to hear that you liked the demo! And thanks for sharing your impressions.

It's interesting what you say about the blink boots, since that change of pace is something we wanted players to experience. We hope that you will have more of those moments as you find the new abilities later on.

We are hard at work polishing the game and we really think you will enjoy the rest once it's finished.
Kein Zantezuken Aug 20, 2013 @ 5:39am 
If you fix the controls (responsiveness and preciseness) - I will buy it no doubt, haha.

Here is the video btw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v6sW6qVQfU
Last edited by Kein Zantezuken; Aug 20, 2013 @ 5:56am
Rainypete  [developer] Aug 20, 2013 @ 6:55am 
What kind of hardware did you run it on?
We know that the controllers can get a bit difficult on old macbooks and similar. This is really a lag issue, but as the visuals do not suffer, many people point to controlls. A possibility might be reducing the graphics settings.

That you cannot punch while jumping or while on a moving platform is a bug. We have never had this reported before either, and we have done quite a lot of testing. We do however know that some keyboards have real issues registering certain keystorkes while other keys are held down. Might that be the issue?

Thanks for the Feedback

-Peter W. Meldahl
Kein Zantezuken Aug 20, 2013 @ 8:26am 
What kind of hardware did you run it on?
Intel Core i7 3770K (3,6Ghz)/GTX670/Win7/Keyboard (simple mechanic one)] - game runs flawlessly here, not a single crash. 20%CPU usage, no GPU usage at all. Beauty.

The issues with controls are not related to performance, it is the mechanics and code logic itself. It is hard to explain what and why causes the issues and that's why it is so frustrating - I don't understand it. One of the issue I already explained (air punch with moving platforms), but others is not so easy to catch. Most noticeable problem - sometimes character ignores jump key input. There is no particular case but I noticed few moments: sometimes when you press up or down and try to jump - it won't work (the "up" part I assume because look ahead animation prevents it?), sometimes jump being ignored due to some small animations like climbing or turning around or recovering from push. This makes small amount of sense to me, to be honest. It is platfomer. More than that - classic 2D platformer. The ability to cancel some animations (excluding critical/fatal ones, like death/falling to death/locked by enemy/etc) for immediate action execution is a mandatory for the genre and gameplay mechanics. It is something player expect from the game unless it features completely new and innovative control system.

Overall controls feel clunky, especially after you get Blink Boots. Pace of the changes quite a lot but controls drag it down, slow it down. They are not as fast and responsive as gameplay hints you. It feels like you "can do more" but on practice - you can't.

We do however know that some keyboards have real issues registering certain keystorkes while other keys are held down. Might that be the issue?
May be, but then this case applies to Teslagrad only, because I do not recall similar issues in other games.
Last edited by Kein Zantezuken; Aug 20, 2013 @ 8:31am
Rainypete  [developer] Aug 21, 2013 @ 1:11am 
Assuming that the game runs properly, here are some of the behaviors that the controllers should have:

-Punching should work and be instant even if running, jumping or airborne for any other reason.
-But you cannot punch if you carry a charge. This is deliberate.
-Jumping should work instantly, even if running, climbing vines or stairs, or in any part of the push animation. The exception is the precise moment the character climbs over a ledge. At that time you cannot jump.
-The blink mechanic too should be instant. It does have a short delay before it is ready again. This is indicated by a sound.

This does not sound like your experience, so we are lead to believe that something is not working as it should.
As I previously mentioned this could be the keyboard you are using. Many PC games use few simultaneous key inputs just to avoid this kind of issue. If this is the case, then remapping to use another set of keys would work.
Your system should run the game fine, so it is probably not a lag issue as you say.
It might als be some issue that we have never had during any of our testing. What OS do you use?
ANACONDOM Aug 21, 2013 @ 1:45am 
--..--
Kein Zantezuken Aug 21, 2013 @ 7:31am 
I use win7x64.

-Punching should work and be instant even if running, jumping or airborne for any other reason.
-But you cannot punch if you carry a charge. This is deliberate.
-Jumping should work instantly, even if running, climbing vines or stairs, or in any part of the push animation. The exception is the precise moment the character climbs over a ledge. At that time you cannot jump.
-The blink mechanic too should be instant. It does have a short delay before it is ready again. This is indicated by a sound.
Everything is exactly that you described, but that is the point, as I mentioned before - I can't figure out why and what could block jump function from time to time. It has no specific moment, it may happen at any moment when I extensively moving around, jumping, climbing, blinking almost at the same time.

And it is definitely not the technical issue with hardware, because I don't recall such problems in Duck Tales or Valdis Story.

Just to point out - the issue isn't exactly critical like if character stopped moving for few seconds or something. It just sometimes I press jump and it does nothing which can be frustrating. The game is still playable fine.
fludvigsen Aug 22, 2013 @ 1:02am 
On my keyboard, I can't hold 'a' + 'left arrow' + 'space' at the same time... space won't register then. This is specific to my keyboard, and it doesn't matter which program I do that in. Other keys collide on other keyboards. I know Rainypete has other key collisions than me because of his keyboard. It might be that you have some other type of issue, but it still sounds like keyboard.

On gamepads, or keyboards with improved registering techniques, this problem goes away.
In Teslagrad, this problem is particularly detectable, since often you have to press at least three buttons at the same time.

If you find a way for us to reproduce the same issues that you have, we will of course do whatever we can to fix it :-)
Kein Zantezuken Aug 22, 2013 @ 9:26am 
On my keyboard, I can't hold 'a' + 'left arrow' + 'space' at the same time... space won't register then.
I can do that just fine, no issues here.

Here, take a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbn3XbUxR5U
00:15
I jump on first platform and hit down to change polarity of it. Then I jump on the small cube and hit down as well. But it does not work. Why? Why in the world. It does not make sense. This is the random issues I'm talking about.
Last edited by Kein Zantezuken; Aug 22, 2013 @ 9:26am
JanuZ Aug 22, 2013 @ 3:32pm 
I have noticed some problems with down punching aswell and I think it is mostly that you can't have any movement when punching down and I often still have some movement when I try. As for the video I believe the reason the first punch fails is that you are still slightly airborn before doing the punch or that the landing animation is causing it to fail.

As for not being able to jump, I haven't really noticed that except for a few places where the PC seems to bounce after I drop from a height. Most noticable is the beam that is punched at 0:39 in the video above. When going back through that room I can never jump straight after landing because the beam moves slightly down on the right side causing the player to do a small bounce. I have also noticed this on the cube that you take the jump of to get the second scroll in the Chapel, that is one of the reason I generally stop on that cube before jumping again.
fludvigsen Aug 23, 2013 @ 1:03am 
Thanks for the feedback!
There is a short grace period after loosing contact with the ground, during which you can still jump. We will experiment with increasing the duration if this grace period.

Also, punching down could cancel when you land on the ground. This we will fix. We already did this kind of fix for ceiling collisions when punching up.
Metr Aug 23, 2013 @ 11:47am 
The best place to see the down punch being weird is on the chapel, try to jump to the right box to hit it red while falling and jump to the boxes to access the second scroll. Maybe is due to the box you can hit to turn it in red doing a mini-bounce when you fall, but it feels weird while playing.
There's a time lose usually when you try to hit down, coming from a jump and falling on some platforms, I would say 2-3 specially from the demo, but I think the chapel one is the more obvious place to feel it.
The other "weird" feelings, when you are falling with short time and try to blink, some times it doesn't respond properly and you fail the blink (it happened at least for me in the room you have to blink to get into, fall a couple of seconds and re-blink to scape, use the 2 blue flowers and get the secret several times). But maybe is due to the performance of my computer.
For the rest, I feel the jumps etc, are very responsive really, and the movements smooth.
Last edited by Metr; Aug 23, 2013 @ 11:49am
ColdsnapBryan Aug 23, 2013 @ 6:15pm 
I would love if this game had controller support. Voted for it. Looks great.
Kein Zantezuken Aug 23, 2013 @ 7:22pm 
It has, but it is broken in the demo, I think (game acts like it always receives Joy1 which is impossible because no button pressed). That, or DirectInput completely not supported, only X-pad (XInput).
Last edited by Kein Zantezuken; Aug 23, 2013 @ 7:25pm
Messofanego Aug 26, 2013 @ 6:08am 
After seeing Patrick Klepek (Giant Bomb) play it on Worth Playing (08/23/2013), I checked it out myself. Fantastic demo. Art style reminds me of Braid. The art and animations are gorgeous. Unlike other games with style over substance, the gameplay is actually fun too to go along with the great presentation. What I love is that the cute robot spiders don't hurt (directly), because usually through gaming instinct you'd have them marked as goombas.

There's not much of a tutorial, but here it works where it's more show than tell. After the quite challenging boss, you get the dash ability which is awesome. If there are more abilities as interesting in the full game, I can't wait.
Last edited by Messofanego; Aug 26, 2013 @ 6:11am
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50