This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Galaxy Life
Mossy Rock May 8, 2013 @ 3:59pm
If this is like the facebook version...
then it doesn't belong on Steam. If however, the developers are going to create an ACTUAL game of sim/management then by all means, do something with the silly and fun alien IP.
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Supercake May 9, 2013 @ 2:47am 
I agree
Gerrit_ May 9, 2013 @ 3:32am 
if it would come in its current state it would be the worst game ever put on steam
Digital Chocolate  [developer] May 9, 2013 @ 6:37am 
Hi all!

It will be similar to the Facebook version, because we plan to allow you to attack or team up the players from the other platforms. But on top of a common base, we plan to make many changes and improvements exclusives to the Steam version that.

We just started to set it up all the Greenlight stuff, and we'll make an announcement about this topic very soon: to explain why it isn't a dumb idea to bring this game to Steam and why we want to check this platform too.

We understand and share your concerns and opinion. Even if we have been developing casual phone and social games for more than 10 years we're also hardcore players and think that it isn't a place for a lot of the typical spammy low quality stuff that you can find in social game platforms.
Last edited by Digital Chocolate; May 9, 2013 @ 6:37am
Mossy Rock May 9, 2013 @ 11:08am 
Well Digital Chocolate, I wish the best in stepping up to the plate and hitting out a solid tranformation for the Steam version. Good luck guys,
fireryone May 10, 2013 @ 4:21am 
For that i'll put you in the ask me later column :) gl and please impress me as the current generation of facebook games just turn into pay to win/pay to even play borefests and if this ends up bogged down with "required to pay or you can't play for another 30mins" game, it will not do well on steam or with me.
LadySky89 May 10, 2013 @ 4:30pm 
I read it will be a Free to Play, I hope you're not gonna make this frustrating like most of social games are if you don't pay for substantial bonuses.... I have had enough of those, I deleted FB because of them.

And I suggest you to extend your library with those funny orange aliens, I guess you could do like Worms, lot of game's versions, and, why not, even 3D and HD ones!
Fenrir007 May 11, 2013 @ 5:38pm 
Hardcore players, huh... Yeah, I'm anxious to see how this will be ported to the PC and end up not being a microtransaction-pay2win-social-casual-minigame without completely redeveloping the "game".
Digital Chocolate  [developer] May 13, 2013 @ 5:21am 
Regarding the micro-transactions, pay 2 win and comparisions with other Facebook or iOS social games or F2P MMOs, we would like to say that excluding the Star Trek content (due to the license deal with CBS), all the other content or features of the game can be earned or unlocked for free, in the game.

As an example, there are even free ways to earn our premium currency (chips) each day when in other games it use to be paid only : You get a fair amount when starting the game, and you can earn daily a good amount when recycling plants or garbage that grows in your colonies, you can also earn it by betting it against other players in the Rival Battles. And in addition to this we make both competitions in our community and in-game contests periodically, with a good amount of this currency as typical reward for a bunch of players who win them.

The game has plenty of actions to do, enough to keep you playing while waiting until something else is being done.
Fenrir007 May 13, 2013 @ 6:18pm 
Pretty much all pay2win games bait you with the promise of being able to play the game completely free, as long as you marry it, so excuse me if I remain extraordinarily skeptical.
Digital Chocolate  [developer] May 14, 2013 @ 1:47am 
Well, obviously to pay helps you in the game. Mostly is to get something faster like : hey, I don't want to spend time trying to hunt these collectables to craft this Special Attack to get some extra help during a battle, so I pay for it. This payment is done with Chips, that can be bought with real money or you also can earn for free doing some actions like recycling stuff or betting them in Rival Battles.

But the work done by this extra help can also be done by certain normal troop units with less resources cost, when a experienced player chooses the proper amount of the proper types of units, who are upgraded to a certain level and know where and when to deploy them, in the right order.

We have a huge and active community of players specially on Facebook with several fan pages, I suggest you to ask them about strategies and if the game 'forces' you to pay as certain others do. You'll see that there is a lot of people playing since the game release 1 year and a half ago, who are level 400+ or 500+ and never paid. In fact some of the top 50 players never paid.

So yes, the micro-transactions are there. And yes, they help you. But most people play during months without using them, and the game still is the best rated strategy game on Facebook according to the user rating and I personally think that one of the reasons is that we are way less aggressive than the competitions in topics like this.

With some experience and knowledge about how to optimize the resource management, how to protect your colonies, control the timings and orders in upgrades, what are the best attack units for each case depending on your level, to understand a bit the drop rate of certain collectables and many other things that you learn organically just by playing some days you can live without them. But sometimes you just need a wild revenge nuking him right now! And you can't wait! xD

BTW yesterday I added some extra announcements to explain our focus, hope you like them.
Last edited by Digital Chocolate; May 14, 2013 @ 1:49am
Mossy Rock May 14, 2013 @ 3:18pm 
Digital Chocolate, has the team considered moving away from the time management aspect of micro-transactions to a more robust cosmetic style?

I think MapleStory is an excellent example, the game is a solid game and the things in the marketplace are either decorative pets/titles or the huge variety of custome character clothing.

A similar strategy might apease the PC crowd; besides it'd be cool to have a ton of variety in alien races and style of buildings.
Digital Chocolate  [developer] May 15, 2013 @ 4:05am 
Hi Mossy, thanks for the suggestions! We always like to watch what others do to learn and see how can improve our current or future games. As an example, we think that Nexon and did a great job with MapleStory and other titles, and same can be applied to other Korean and asian publishers who use to work with free-to-play.

Even if there are huge market and cultural differences, we think that there are a lot of things from them that can we can adapt to the western market. To give you an idea, in this game team we have an asian member who works as data analist analyzing, balancing and improving game progression and game economy. His area of expertise is F2P MMORPG.

In addition to this, we also consider the suggestions from the community. Obviously we can't implement some of them because sometimes we don't see fit, or simply think that it's a great idea but would mean a too drastic change so we prefer to implement it in our next game of the genre.

As an example in Galaxy Life we implemented more than a hundred of suggestions made by our community for other platforms, and same goes with issues reported. We have a backlog with like 200+ ideas both from the team and the community to be implemented in the game somewhere in the future, as soon as the resources of our humble team are free and matches with our priorities.

The previous game of this team was Millionaire City (a traditional social game with 60 million users). It was fully based on city building, time management and cosmetic customization. From this we moved to Galaxy Life, where we the city building and time management are still here but is way less important because we added the attack and defense parts, which in addition to some social interaction improvements now it allows you to keep playing with other aspects of the game while waiting until something else is ready.

Regarding to the customization focus in GL it's small. The landscape, plants and minerals of your new colonized planets are different depending on the color of the star placed on their solar system. There are also some decorations to buy, there is a maximum number and upgrade level of each defensive turret, bunker, wall or resource building depending on your level, so even if you can move them to create your favorite defensive configuration planets look quite similar.

In our backlog we have some extra additional customization stuff, including the one you mentions : more variety of alien races and buildings, at least color variations as some user suggested. Our idea is to include it inside one of the big upcoming features : the factions, which is still under design stages.

In Galaxy Life, as of now our plan is to continue having the customization as something secondary due to several reasons. But make sure it will have a way more important role in the 2 other projects we have in the works in the same studio were we are developing Galaxy Life, which still have to be announced. They will be more focused to the hardcore crow from platforms like Steam than Galaxy Life since the start, so make sure we'll post something about them when possible.
arn12 May 15, 2013 @ 6:55am 
its claerly too me why galaxy life should come on staem couse 37% of poeple in world dosent have facebook and want it :D too me its awsome so plaese + not -
Wighar May 28, 2013 @ 2:14pm 
I have read so far what has been writen in this extended dialog, I can see the pointers aimed for, however in the long run anything that runs a premium system with connection to a digital curency based allocation system for real money it will be easy for most to place beforehand in the crowd of the usual social or free to limited play game classification.

While we could drag this out into a large discussion with long posts that, let's face it will scare of the less interested in the dialog exchanges and vice versa, lets just say that I agree with most that the game deserves a wait and see and as such I will follow suit.
Stixels May 30, 2013 @ 11:58am 
No offecnece but social games dont belong on steam I like the game i used to play it on facebook but it gets boring I (my opinion) want to play my games in the moment not wait too long for the mechanics of the game to come into place.
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50