This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

The Forest
Pachinkoe Oct 22, 2013 @ 6:39pm
Players name
I have had a revelation going through the discusions, we keep refering to the player as player or guy. He needs a name! I think (if ben hasn't given him one) that our character needs a name, at least to refer to in discussions or explanations of the game.
So... comments?
Showing 1-15 of 78 comments
< >
Pachinkoe Oct 22, 2013 @ 6:40pm 
I personally think Robert.
But my gut tells me the name Ben will win out.
NaBeHobby Oct 22, 2013 @ 7:55pm 
It doesn't really matter.

It's a survivor game, not a rpg.
MrSleepDementia Oct 22, 2013 @ 9:54pm 
Minecraft is a survival/sandbox game, but the players name is steeve.
Originally posted by NaBeHobby:
It doesn't really matter.

It's a survivor game, not a rpg.
Lord Cthulhu (Warlock12a) Oct 23, 2013 @ 4:19am 
In minecraft Steve is not necessarily the character's name that's why its refered to as Steve? with a queston mark. I think just calling him guy is fine. Really it's whatever ben chooses to call him.
Last edited by Lord Cthulhu (Warlock12a); Oct 23, 2013 @ 4:19am
Pachinkoe Oct 23, 2013 @ 1:24pm 
I just think that our character should have something to give him meaning. It can even be The Survivor. I just beleive that reffering to him as a character or player kills the relationship we should have with him.
Shafalabaz Oct 23, 2013 @ 6:46pm 
Originally posted by Pachinkoe:
I just think that our character should have something to give him meaning. It can even be The Survivor. I just beleive that reffering to him as a character or player kills the relationship we should have with him.
There is no relationship. YOU are the survivor. The game is about YOU surviving, not the character.
Pachinkoe Oct 23, 2013 @ 6:50pm 
Originally posted by Shafalabaz:
There is no relationship. YOU are the survivor. The game is about YOU surviving, not the character.
Yes, I see that, I don't neccesarily want a name for him in game. I just want something that we can call him beside player or character. He needs to feel real. He needs something that we can say 'so today I learned _____ can build a fire' He needs something for the forums to adress him at least. Even if its The Survivor or The Man. He just needs a form that we should give him and know who were talking about.
Shafalabaz Oct 23, 2013 @ 6:52pm 
Yes, I see that, I don't neccesarily want a name for him in game. I just want something that we can call him beside player or character. He needs to feel real. He needs something that we can say 'so today I learned _____ can build a fire'
"So today I learned I can build a fire." The game isn't really about the narrative or story that's there, it's about the one that yhou make. In Minecraft, the only reason people gave Steve a name is because of his appearance and the fact that you will actually see his 3d model in the game (most likely you won't see the 3d model of the guy in The Forest). Anyway, most people just say "you" or "me" when talking about games. "So in GTAV you can get a tank" "I leveled up in Skyrim" "My team was fighting another team in Call of Duty and we went around them and won."
Pachinkoe Oct 23, 2013 @ 6:59pm 
Yes, I see that, I don't neccesarily want a name for him in game. I just want something that we can call him beside player or character. He needs to feel real. He needs something that we can say 'so today I learned _____ can build a fire'
"So today I learned I can build a fire." The game isn't really about the narrative or story that's there, it's about the one that yhou make. In Minecraft, the only reason people gave Steve a name is because of his appearance and the fact that you will actually see his 3d model in the game (most likely you won't see the 3d model of the guy in The Forest). Anyway, most people just say "you" or "me" when talking about games. "So in GTAV you can get a tank" "I leveled up in Skyrim" "My team was fighting another team in Call of Duty and we went around them and won."
I see what you mean, and I'm not saying your wrong. And I am not saying I am right, there is no true answer. But I just believe that our character doesn't feel real. I mean what do we know about him? He is a man in a plane crash on a cannibalistic island, possibly a lot of survival knowlege. That to me just doesnt feel like I know enough of the character to be me. In Minecraft you can customize your name and looks, arguably the same with GTAV with clothing(also they have names:Trevor,Micheal and Franklin). I don't know how the character system will be, but I think that even if we talk to the player as player, or character, there should be some defining thing that gives us a representation of him. Not a name, a representation.
smwood_69 Oct 23, 2013 @ 7:01pm 
or he can let us make are name like some games
Pachinkoe Oct 23, 2013 @ 7:03pm 
Originally posted by smwood_69:
or he can let us make are name like some games
I don't really want a name, I want a representation of him that we can all agree upon and know who we are talking about.
Shafalabaz Oct 23, 2013 @ 7:18pm 
I see what you mean, and I'm not saying your wrong. And I am not saying I am right, there is no true answer. But I just believe that our character doesn't feel real. I mean what do we know about him? He is a man in a plane crash on a cannibalistic island, possibly a lot of survival knowlege. That to me just doesnt feel like I know enough of the character to be me. In Minecraft you can customize your name and looks, arguably the same with GTAV with clothing(also they have names:Trevor,Micheal and Franklin). I don't know how the character system will be, but I think that even if we talk to the player as player, or character, there should be some defining thing that gives us a representation of him. Not a name, a representation.
Oh, yeah now I see what you mean. For reference purposes. I guess you can just say "me" or "you," like I said that's what I've noticed most people doing for most games. "In the game, I did this" or "you can do this in the game." Although if Ben came up with a name for the character (similar to how Notch came up with Steve for the Minecraft guy) it would make things a lot easier when talking about the game.
Pachinkoe Oct 24, 2013 @ 2:18pm 
Oh, yeah now I see what you mean. For reference purposes. I guess you can just say "me" or "you," like I said that's what I've noticed most people doing for most games. "In the game, I did this" or "you can do this in the game." Although if Ben came up with a name for the character (similar to how Notch came up with Steve for the Minecraft guy) it would make things a lot easier when talking about the game.
Thank you, now that we are on the same page... Have an idea what to call him?
Raward Oct 24, 2013 @ 2:22pm 
I think that his name is your name, because you are immersed into the character as soon as you crash. Just my opinion o3o
Shafalabaz Oct 24, 2013 @ 3:41pm 
Thank you, now that we are on the same page... Have an idea what to call him?
I have no idea. I think Ben should decide, same as how Notch did for Steve, simply because while we will inhabit the character Ben created him. I'm assuming Ben, as we're already familiar with the name, or possibly some other common name. Maybe Jason or Tim or Jack.
Showing 1-15 of 78 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50