This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

The Forest
Charlie {Tech} Oct 13, 2013 @ 5:48am
CO-OP , The logical way of looking at it.
I believe that although some people are saying Co-Op should not be on this game it should be, let me explain to you my reasoning behind this.

Gaming as a whole is a form of keeping yourself entertained, and it always has been. However recently gaming has taken a big twist into social interactions, games like the new grand theft auto's, call of duty's etc. Everyone preferes to play those games with their mates, doing exactly the same as tehy would in single player but with a mate instead of an AI counter part.

I do not like those games, but on occasion when i have played them, playing with friends is allways much more fun, in the long run. However single player is challenging and provides a slightly more intense experiance, but can however get boring after 30-40 hours of playing a game..

So now i'd like to just list my opions for and against Co-Op,

For:
-I have been supporting this game since it got greenlit, and alot of people, including me, have been asking about Co-Op and whether it will be present in this game, so that shows a huge demand for this,

- Some people love the idea of teh survival game, but want it to be easy and casual at times, so they can focus on just having fun.

- People who want harder gameplay, could still do this with their friends, through a choice in difficulties.

- Why not? You can still have single player for those who want it.

- Gaming with mates, in a Co-OP survival gamemodes, has ALWAYS, and UNCONDITIONALY sold better then single player only games. This will create higher revinue for SKS Games which will hopefully lead to even better advancements in teh survival horror section.

- I want it.

AGAINST:

- welll thats teh thing, can someone tell me a legit reson for not having a CO-OP Option? If you don't like co-op, don't play co-op.. play single player, stop whineing about things that don't really affect you.. and if you can't do either of those commands.. then go ♥♥♥♥ yourself?

:)

Anyway where we.. :) Yeah there is no real reson not to add Co-OP
Thanks SKS Games and really work on bringing this game into alpha!

-----------------------------------
-Charlie Beswick
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Thomas Oct 13, 2013 @ 7:33am 
Many good points, and I hope they do put in co-op. You are right, there is high demand! A few of my friends will only buy the game if it has a multi-player feature of some kind. Though SKS has not done a good job marketing their game. At all. Seriously SKS what the hell. But I hope that time has gone into adding alot of game mechanics. Hopefully co-op or this game will not have as big a player base. This I can almost guarantee.
Hypothetical Cat Oct 13, 2013 @ 9:54am 
Here's your legit reason. It costs money and time to make multiplayer. Meaning generally a lower quality game and a longer time to release. If they add multiplayer I will be happy but I want it to be added in an update not on release.
Charlie {Tech} Oct 13, 2013 @ 11:29am 
Originally posted by Hypothetical Cat:
Here's your legit reason. It costs money and time to make multiplayer. Meaning generally a lower quality game and a longer time to release. If they add multiplayer I will be happy but I want it to be added in an update not on release.

I do see the validity in your comments, however if money is the problem here, SKS games really needs to start fundraising, as the money required to develope the game would be a tiny margin on the money which the game would make though revenue that wouldn't be there if people don't think they can play with their mates.
But i do see your reasoning :)

Another comment on your responce is that if they where to add it in an update, maybe it would be teh alpha to beta swap-over, but if you mean publish the game then develope teh multiplayer then that just wouldn't work :P Or it would but it would be highly unusual :) and by that time the game may have a reputation for being good, but sucky as it is only a single player game :)

But yeah thanks for your responce mate :)
Hypothetical Cat Oct 14, 2013 @ 9:18am 
Originally posted by 420 Bescharlie:

I do see the validity in your comments, however if money is the problem here, SKS games really needs to start fundraising, as the money required to develope the game would be a tiny margin on the money which the game would make though revenue that wouldn't be there if people don't think they can play with their mates.
But i do see your reasoning :)

Another comment on your responce is that if they where to add it in an update, maybe it would be teh alpha to beta swap-over, but if you mean publish the game then develope teh multiplayer then that just wouldn't work :P Or it would but it would be highly unusual :) and by that time the game may have a reputation for being good, but sucky as it is only a single player game :)

But yeah thanks for your responce mate :)
Seriously? Games are not ruined without multiplayer. Don't Starve for example they simply state that multiplayer is out of the question and they do great. Sorry if I sound angry or something like that.
Raward Oct 15, 2013 @ 1:32pm 
That's your opinion too I suppose. Multiplayer wouldn't hurt anything because i'm sure they'd finish up the main "singleplayer" version beforehand, (maybe before releaseing the alpha, who knows, maybe they listened to the community, just like minecraft, created by the community, has become so successful). Multiplayer is just something that adds another person to the equation. example: 1 player + The World = Singleplayer
1 Player + 1 Player + The world = Multiplayer. You may be thinking "That'll cost muney tho" or "It'll ruin the experiance" yeah sure, maybe for you, but most people on here, that I've noticed anyways, want multiplayer or will only play it if it has multiplayer. With the cost thing: if they have enough money to make their game, then they most likely can make a multiplayer, if not then they didn't prepare. I doubt multiplayer will cost much, a weeks worth of programming and pay. And i'm sure it won't cost too much money to buy 1000 servers for people to play on, But i'm sure that it will be either local connection server ran by your router, or you make your OWN server like you can with Tf2, HLDM, Minecraft, CSS, Terraria, ect. if anything the game player would cost money for the internet bill for the server. I agree :D Don't starve is amazing how it is, but imagine if it did have multiplayer, i'm sure it'd get LOTS more buyers. Same, sorry if I sound angrehhh! Just stating my strong feelings towards this game and Multiplayer, I seriously feel like I have a committed relationship with it or something Any♥♥♥♥♥... I can't wait for the info coming the end of this month :D What about you guys? What do you think their new stuff is? I'm really excited to see more of it :D
Charlie {Tech} Oct 16, 2013 @ 2:55pm 
Originally posted by Raward:
That's your opinion too I suppose. Multiplayer wouldn't hurt anything because i'm sure they'd finish up the main "singleplayer" version beforehand, (maybe before releaseing the alpha, who knows, maybe they listened to the community, just like minecraft, created by the community, has become so successful). Multiplayer is just something that adds another person to the equation. example: 1 player + The World = Singleplayer
1 Player + 1 Player + The world = Multiplayer. You may be thinking "That'll cost muney tho" or "It'll ruin the experiance" yeah sure, maybe for you, but most people on here, that I've noticed anyways, want multiplayer or will only play it if it has multiplayer. With the cost thing: if they have enough money to make their game, then they most likely can make a multiplayer, if not then they didn't prepare. I doubt multiplayer will cost much, a weeks worth of programming and pay. And i'm sure it won't cost too much money to buy 1000 servers for people to play on, But i'm sure that it will be either local connection server ran by your router, or you make your OWN server like you can with Tf2, HLDM, Minecraft, CSS, Terraria, ect. if anything the game player would cost money for the internet bill for the server. I agree :D Don't starve is amazing how it is, but imagine if it did have multiplayer, i'm sure it'd get LOTS more buyers. Same, sorry if I sound angrehhh! Just stating my strong feelings towards this game and Multiplayer, I seriously feel like I have a committed relationship with it or something :p2chell: Any♥♥♥♥♥... I can't wait for the info coming the end of this month :D What about you guys? What do you think their new stuff is? I'm really excited to see more of it :D

Yeah i can't ♥♥♥♥ing wait for this game, been waiting for months as well
:D
UNDEAD Oct 17, 2013 @ 2:12pm 
CO-OP!!!!!! do it ben
acmefrog Oct 23, 2013 @ 2:40pm 
I agree with you. Co-Op sure while many games such as Amnesia only work with singleplayer that fact remains... people get bored a lone. I love being social playing with friends, but a lone i can only do so long. I played Amnesia through twice... and i havent played it sence becasue its just not as fun. Or even minecraft for example WAY BACK WHEN it was just singleplayer i played it for a few weeks to a month... then stopped and when co op arrived the time i spent nearly tripled. The fact shows multiplayer increases game involvement and money income to the developers. Also for the people saying "itll reduce game quality and itll be rushed" ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ Ben will take all the time he needs to perfect his game hes smart about this and wont rush it.
Raward Oct 23, 2013 @ 3:29pm 
Originally posted by acmefrog:
I agree with you. Co-Op sure while many games such as Amnesia only work with singleplayer that fact remains... people get bored a lone. I love being social playing with friends, but a lone i can only do so long. I played Amnesia through twice... and i havent played it sence becasue its just not as fun. Or even minecraft for example WAY BACK WHEN it was just singleplayer i played it for a few weeks to a month... then stopped and when co op arrived the time i spent nearly tripled. The fact shows multiplayer increases game involvement and money income to the developers. Also for the people saying "itll reduce game quality and itll be rushed" ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ Ben will take all the time he needs to perfect his game hes smart about this and wont rush it.

Amen!
JonSnow Oct 24, 2013 @ 6:04am 

Exactly, people dont seem to realise what a big deal coop would be to implement, the time, less time spend on other features, the cost, extended release date yada yada. Awesome single player horror survival first please then coop if you have the time(and hopefully money) in an update further down the line.
JonSnow Oct 24, 2013 @ 6:16am 
Originally posted by Raward:
1 Player + 1 Player + The world = Multiplayer. You may be thinking "That'll cost muney tho" or "It'll ruin the experiance" yeah sure, maybe for you, but most people on here, that I've noticed anyways, want multiplayer or will only play it if it has multiplayer. With the cost thing: if they have enough money to make their game, then they most likely can make a multiplayer, if not then they didn't prepare. I doubt multiplayer will cost much, a weeks worth of programming and pay. And i'm sure it won't cost too much money to buy 1000 servers for people to play on, But i'm sure that it will be either local connection server ran by your router, or you make your OWN server like you can with Tf2, HLDM, Minecraft, CSS, Terraria, ect. if anything the game player would cost money for the internet bill for the server. I agree :D Don't starve is amazing how it is, but imagine if it did have multiplayer, i'm sure it'd get LOTS more buyers. Same, sorry if I sound angrehhh! Just stating my strong feelings towards this game and Multiplayer, I seriously feel like I have a committed relationship with it or something :p2chell: Any♥♥♥♥♥... I can't wait for the info coming the end of this month :D What about you guys? What do you think their new stuff is? I'm really excited to see more of it :D

Are you 10 years old or something? A weeks worth of programming to implement coop in a primarily single player experience after the fact? They should have the money? And i'm sure it won't cost too much money to buy 1000 servers for people to play on?

Have you ever been involved in any kind of software development? I really hope your post was sarcastic!! Or I have been trolled, if not then WTF!!
Raward Oct 24, 2013 @ 2:05pm 
Originally posted by JonSnow:
Are you 10 years old or something? A weeks worth of programming to implement coop in a primarily single player experience after the fact? They should have the money? And i'm sure it won't cost too much money to buy 1000 servers for people to play on?

Have you ever been involved in any kind of software development? I really hope your post was sarcastic!! Or I have been trolled, if not then WTF!!

Someones a little butthurt o-o My main point, maybe I kinda dragged on in that paragraph, is that you guys should stop complaining, things will turn out how they will. Yes, co-op is an aggresivly popular subject to this game. And the community shaping the game on how it does usually leads to great success. For example, and some of you may be thinking " Minecraft, Tf2? What you you freaking 10 years old or soemthing" First off, your not a real gamer if you don't expericane all that you can get. Gaming is more than jsut shooting things and tea-bagging your dead enemies, why would you do that anyways.. necrofelia can you say.. and minecraft and tf2 have been REALLY popular and VERY succesfull and even STILL growing, because of their community's Input. And Don't get me wrong about this, your input is as valuable as mine and I understand where you are coming from totally, but maybe you're just being a bit paranoid about its outcome. It'll be realeased as an alpha anyways, which only leads to bug fixes and additions. I have a feeling everythign will go well with or without Multiplayer. But in conclusion, we jsut need to calm down about this. Instead of riduculing people for what they say, sorry if I do in this paragraph, don't mean to be mean or anyhting, just getting my point across (no harm intended), just ask them to elaborate on what they said. Makes the writer feel bad and doesn't make you seem any cooler than you think you are. (not saying if you're cool or not just... you know what I mean) But Let calm down! Lets not Fight! Instead lets just join the flight! (And crash into an island with mutants) And no I'm not trying to prove your theory wrong, just saying. I'll I can do to add mmultiplayer into the game is my voice, nothing else. It's them who make it not me, so no attacking people who share the same feelers as I duuh. And what does age have to do with anything?
✝ Blood Knight ✝ Oct 31, 2013 @ 9:15am 
Hate to revive this, but I want to add my say. First of all can't wait for the game, I believe it's been confirmed now that it will be single-play only on release and co-op will be looked into as an update.

Anyway, I think what MANY people here fail to understand is that the game uses the Unity 4 engine. Unity has multiplayer support built in, it's just a matter of implementing it, they don't need to write any of the complicated code to set up servers or establish connections, all they need to write is the functionality and enable the tools Unity provides.

So from that, it would be pretty easy (compared to fully implementing multiplayer from scratch) and also would not cost much to implement. Please understand this before arguing that it will ruin the singleplayer because they would spend so much time on the multiplayer.

Having used Unity myself I know how easy it is to add multiplayer support, I've made some basic games that utilize the built-in support and they work flawlessly. The only issue is having to port everything so that it is synchronized between clients and so that things such as the mutants will know what to do when confronted with two players (who will they chase, etc)
Raward Oct 31, 2013 @ 1:36pm 
Originally posted by ♠ Gladiator ♠:
Hate to revive this, but I want to add my say. First of all can't wait for the game, I believe it's been confirmed now that it will be single-play only on release and co-op will be looked into as an update.

Anyway, I think what MANY people here fail to understand is that the game uses the Unity 4 engine. Unity has multiplayer support built in, it's just a matter of implementing it, they don't need to write any of the complicated code to set up servers or establish connections, all they need to write is the functionality and enable the tools Unity provides.

So from that, it would be pretty easy (compared to fully implementing multiplayer from scratch) and also would not cost much to implement. Please understand this before arguing that it will ruin the singleplayer because they would spend so much time on the multiplayer.

Having used Unity myself I know how easy it is to add multiplayer support, I've made some basic games that utilize the built-in support and they work flawlessly. The only issue is having to port everything so that it is synchronized between clients and so that things such as the mutants will know what to do when confronted with two players (who will they chase, etc)
I want to bow down to you and lick your shoes. Not to be creepy but I honor you.
Imagination T-Rex (KETCHUPS BFF) Nov 3, 2013 @ 5:39pm 
They said they would try to add multiplayer in an update.
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50