This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Martial Arts: Capoeira
Twelve Games  [developer] May 8, 2013 @ 1:09am
Game Facts
Thanks to everybody for all the comments.

Martial Arts: Capoeira is the FIRST of a possible series of fight games based on various martial arts. Having "only" one Martial Art Style makes a big difference, because you will never have that characters that let you win over others because of better/powerful technique. We want players to master the art as much as they can.

Somebody said that Fighters all makes the same moves but you should know some facts:

1) Fighters are divided in 3 categories: Small/Quick fighters, Medium Fighters, Big/Very Powerful Fighters.

So you should really try to mix the combination of those.

2) We deliberately made a Capoeira only game, is it is normal they share the major part of the moves. You will notice the difference between fighters only once you play it: they have different Endurance/Breath, Dodge speed, Attack Speeds, Precision, Power. Those are the elements that makes the game different.

We didn't want to make any Virtual Fighter bad clone right? We wanted to make our own fight game.

3) All fighters have predefined skill bars to fill. Those skills are:
• Strength
• Constitution
• Breath
• Speed
• Acrobatics
All of them, are connected with a hierarchical dependence: for example, hands
attack power and kicks attack power are also heavily influenced by Breath. The lower
breath is the less powerful a hit will be.

4) Did you notice the Match Bar? One of the key features and great innovations of Martial Arts series is the suppression of the abused energy bar. Every fighting game in the world uses this
simple system while our Capoeira has a brand new way of managing health points,
that’s to say the Match Balance Gauge
First of all, there’s not one bar for each character, there’s only one indicator that
reflects the course of the match, plus additional gauges that represent the so-called
DANGER ZONES. Below is a sketch of the Match Balance Gauge
The knot represents the Match Balance Pointer (MBP), the status marker of the
match that travels along the rope according to the blows given by the two
opponents. When a fighter hits his opponent, he will move the knot towards his end
of the rope, and vice versa. When the knot reach one end of the rope, the fight will
end and the fighter that has been able to move the knot that far will be the winner.
Flames, that represent the Danger Zones, extend towards the centre when the
player makes great efforts during a fight, like heavy hits or long combos. Giving too
many unnecessary blows or exceeding in dodging may consequently put your fighter
into a real danger, because if the knot is burned by the flames you will receive much
more damage when hit. Still, if you manage to move the knot into your opponent’s
flames, you will have a great advantage. Flames slowly extinguish by moving without
dodging and not performing any special or acrobatic action.

5) CORDAS

Like many martial arts, Capoeira has a ranking system, represented in this case by
“cordas”. It does not exist an official rule about it, like for example happens in
karate, in Capoeira every school decides the number of cordas and the requisites
needed to get them according to its own traditions and beliefs. In Martial Arts:
Capoeira we will use one of the most popular cordas layout:

COLOR Level
Green Novice
Green and yellow Novice
Yellow Novice
Green and Blue 1st Level Instructor
Yellow and Blue 2nd Level Instructor
Blue Professor
Green, Yellow, Blue and white Contramestre
White and Green 1st Level Mestre
White and Yellow 2nd Level Mestre
White and Blue 3rd Level Mestre
White Gran Mestre

Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
watersleeps May 8, 2013 @ 8:06pm 
i want this!
h00j May 23, 2013 @ 9:27am 
I posted this in the comments, didn't know of the forum.

As a capoeirista I am really impressed with the accuracy of the moves, and the music is great. From viewing the gameplay my only suggestion would be to have some sort of combo/counter system instead of just knocking the opponent down with one hit. Capoeira and marital arts in general is the art of not being hit by your opponent. Every move that is meant to incapacitate your opponent has a counter.

I like the match bar system, are you using this to represent the axe (pronounced ashea; capoeira energy) of the fighters? And I assume you get more axe as you progress through the game.

Also for the combat system, remove the slow motion it detracts from the momentum of the fight. For counters tesouras (take downs) and esquivas (escapes and some escapes incorporate foot sweeps) should be used.

And historically Besouro is a black man, besouro means bettle in brazilian portuguese.
Last edited by h00j; May 23, 2013 @ 9:31am
Twelve Games  [developer] May 24, 2013 @ 8:04am 
Hello h00j! Yes there are lot of chains you can do in the game (combo) and counters are all there as well as different dodges.
Lucian SaDiablo Jun 11, 2013 @ 5:58pm 
I would like to know if this will have controller support? I doubt I could play a fighting game well via keyboard.
Twelve Games  [developer] Jun 13, 2013 @ 2:26am 
@Jerico yes it has FULL Pad support.
Eqo Jul 10, 2013 @ 8:46am 
I'm really excited about this game. I appreciate that you've stuck to one martial art for all the fighters and found other ways to make the characters different. It makes your game stand out and it sounds like it will be very balanced.
Claudiopwr Jul 13, 2013 @ 1:35pm 
Na torcida capoeira é bom demais..
Twelve Games  [developer] Jul 17, 2013 @ 6:43am 
@Eqo thanks, you understood the point!
Purple Fiction Oct 14, 2013 @ 6:29pm 
This game looks promising, but I have a couple of critiques:

I watched all the videos & I saw only one lower hitbox connect, and almost no use of low targeted sweeping attacks to speak of.

Secondly, as I was wachting I was wondering if and when I was going to see a push. When I did finally see it happen (which was also only once) it was a one handed push that resembled a punch more than a push.

The last thing is that sometimes the footwork seems a little bit off, occasionaly fighters appear to clip forward or backwards when changing directions.

Othewise everything is looking great!
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50