This is a concept or project early in development

This item is here to gather feedback from the potential customers and begin building a community. If you like this project, feel free to rate it or favorite it. The voting here serves only to give the developer data and reactions and doesn't work toward getting the game distributed on Steam.

Frequency Domain
surge17  [developer] Jun 25, 2013 @ 7:42pm
Post feedback for Frequency Domain v0.5 Test Build HERE!
Comment away!
Have you tried loading mp3 files and editing/exporting your parameters?
Let me know!
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
TheRealRohypnol™ Jun 27, 2013 @ 6:31pm 
Allow me to be the first to say that, regrettably, this is the first I have heard of a tried this game. But I am very glad that I became aware of Frequency Domain. I saw it on a video made from Youtuber Alpacapatrol and loved the concept, so I just had to try it for myself. Instantly immersed me in the music and was even more favorable to me than something along the lines of audio surf. This is such a calming experience and also, again, very immersive to be involved almost inside of your own music. The mp3 files work just great, one slight suggestion would be to look into having gamepad support for moving the cursor in-game and allowing the player to choose a different song without needing the mouse would be a slight improvement. Everything else is just absolutley awesome; the colors, the feel, and especially the jumps couldn't be any more awesome. Keep up the great work, this is such a great concept.
surge17  [developer] Jun 28, 2013 @ 1:13pm 
Originally posted by TheRealRohypnol:
Allow me to be the first to say that, regrettably, this is the first I have heard of a tried this game. But I am very glad that I became aware of Frequency Domain. I saw it on a video made from Youtuber Alpacapatrol and loved the concept, so I just had to try it for myself. Instantly immersed me in the music and was even more favorable to me than something along the lines of audio surf. This is such a calming experience and also, again, very immersive to be involved almost inside of your own music. The mp3 files work just great, one slight suggestion would be to look into having gamepad support for moving the cursor in-game and allowing the player to choose a different song without needing the mouse would be a slight improvement. Everything else is just absolutley awesome; the colors, the feel, and especially the jumps couldn't be any more awesome. Keep up the great work, this is such a great concept.

Awesome, Alpacapatrol did a great job on the video! I'm really happy it worked with you, it's not always the case with everyone sadly.

And yes, I agree with you 100% about browsing files with the gamepad. It's something that I need to do, but won't be able to for some time unfortunately (I'm moving out, starting a new job, etc).

Btw, have you had a chance to try the in-game editor?
I've made a video explaining the basics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-4CuMeJJ9A

Apologies for the terrible interface, I promise it will get better :) !
Zell0s the Fairly Festive Faggot Jun 29, 2013 @ 9:50am 
For some reason while playing on my MacBook Pro I cannot load songs at all. When I try to load it the game continues playing the current song as if nothing happened. I have tried a few different songs and even some sound effects to try to get this to work. Apart from that the game runs great and is very fun to play around with, I can't wait for more updates!
surge17  [developer] Jul 1, 2013 @ 10:01am 
Originally posted by Zell0s The Sushi Badass.:
For some reason while playing on my MacBook Pro I cannot load songs at all. When I try to load it the game continues playing the current song as if nothing happened. I have tried a few different songs and even some sound effects to try to get this to work. Apart from that the game runs great and is very fun to play around with, I can't wait for more updates!

Yeah, got this confirmed from another test as well. It seems like the mp3 import dll works only for Windows. I'm about to move out and start a new job, so I don't think I'll be able to fix something big like that soon, especially since I don't have a Mac.
I'm really sorry!

Everything else should work okay though...?
Zell0s the Fairly Festive Faggot Jul 1, 2013 @ 10:30am 
I haven't played around with paramaters very much, but everything else seems to work great!
This game is still really fun regardless and I hope you keep up the good work!
rec Jul 17, 2013 @ 3:15am 
Just tried this on the Rift. Blew my mind.

More, please. More.
Ravilok Aug 14, 2013 @ 1:36am 
This is the most fun I've had in the Rift so far. The speed, the physics, and the head tracking are spot on.

Others may disagree, but I think this game works best when played with the Rift while facing forward but with your shoulders turned perpendicularly--as if you were riding a snowboard through the mountains. Standing with your shoulders turned encourages your eyes to follow the scenery as it passes by you--which greatly intensifies the sense of immersion.

Even though steering is controlled strictly by the tilting of ones neck, I find that if I just move naturally according to how I would if I were actually snowboarding (that is, with all of the same weight-shifting, head-bobbing, and shock-absorbing knee-bends), the game responds just as convincingly.

For anyone who claims this game has no objective--it does! For me, at least, it is to travel as interesting a path as possible, while staying with the music and maintaining MAXIMUM CONTROL.

If I could ask (beg?) for just ONE enhancement, it would be:

Reduce the peaks.

Since, like I said, the "fun" objective is to maintain control, that becomes much too difficult to do when your music generates almost nothing but peaks. Unfortunately, the kind of music I think most people would listen to while engaged in a high-speed activity like this would be the kind that generates too many peaks. We want peaks, for sure, but we want a greater variety of height to those peaks--and in fact, we want more valleys than anything else. Too many peaks also washes out the 3D. Everything just starts to look flat and formless.

I know you have a fantastic editor mode and all that (way too complicated for me), but it would really be nice if I could just "dial down" the intensity.

I probably wouldn't mind it if you also applied some earth textures (snow?!) to the polygons, ... and maybe threw some stars up in that black sky--but these would just be icing on the cake. Lower those peaks, PLEASE!

Oh, and charge for this thing, would you, please? I'm a developer, and I know this stuff takes hard work!
Last edited by Ravilok; Aug 14, 2013 @ 1:44am
rgates Sep 7, 2013 @ 11:16pm 
This is a really fun app, much cleaner than v .3. I just wish the parameters were somehow generated by the mp3, like media player visualizations.
Last edited by rgates; Sep 8, 2013 @ 12:28am
gdffgdfgd Sep 25, 2013 @ 12:41pm 
At first I'd like to say that I really appreciate your work and think this is a great game (if you can call it that) but there's one problem that pretty muched stopped me from playing. I don't know if this is just how it is or a problem on my end, but I noticed that if I load my own MP3s they sound really bad. It's like the bitrate got halved and dynamics have been compressed (this also makes them sound more quiet). This happens to all MP3s although it is more noticeable the more complex the track is. It's extremely annoying if all my 320kbit/s MP3s suddenly sound like youtube rips when played through Frequency Domain. As I said, I don't know if it's a problem on my end, but as no one else has mentioned it I hope it is. I have have to say though that my speakers and Headphones are pretty high end, so someone with, say, a cheap Logitech System might just be unable to hear the difference.
Any help would be appreciated, and if it's indeed a problem with the "game" itself, I hope it gets fixed soon, as I'd really like to enjoy it with proper sound.
vertinox Nov 21, 2013 @ 3:30pm 
Hello. I just downloaded the Oculus Rift version and tried loading my own MP3s that I ripped from Windows Media Player. I tried loading it through Frequence Domain by pressing enter and then browser to the MP3s on my music folder, but it crashed at the 320 bit rate so I tried a lower at 128 and it still crashed. I have error log folders if you are interested. I'm not sure how to get them to you though.

I'm using Windows vista using the most recent Oculus Rift build you have listed on the page. I've subscribed so let me know if there is anything else I can help you do to debug this problem.
Last edited by vertinox; Nov 21, 2013 @ 3:32pm
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50