This is a concept or project early in development

This item is here to gather feedback from the potential customers and begin building a community. If you like this project, feel free to rate it or favorite it. The voting here serves only to give the developer data and reactions and doesn't work toward getting the game distributed on Steam.

Frequency Domain
surge17  [developer] May 26, 2013 @ 4:10pm
Submit Feedback to Frequency Domain v0.3 Test Build here!
Starting this discussion thread to pool all the feedback in one place.
Showing 1-15 of 39 comments
< >
Drachen May 26, 2013 @ 5:28pm 
It's looking pretty good. I did encounter a few bugs with clipping and some of the controls didn't work. For instance, I couldn't "Jump" as pressing the corresponding key would do the same as what "Fire 1" does.
surge17  [developer] May 26, 2013 @ 5:56pm 
Originally posted by Drachen:
It's looking pretty good. I did encounter a few bugs with clipping and some of the controls didn't work. For instance, I couldn't "Jump" as pressing the corresponding key would do the same as what "Fire 1" does.

Yeah, I need to do something about that clipping, I don't see it too often, but still gotta fix it >__<

I'm not sure what you mean by "Jump" (are you talking about Unity Input Manager stuff?).
The player can't jump, they can only ride the incoming waves. But you are correct about 2 buttons doing the same thing ( on the Xbox360 gamepad, both A and Y activate the Warping ).

Thanks for trying it out and feel free to share the link, I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible within the next few days!
Drachen May 26, 2013 @ 6:13pm 
I can say that the clipping only occurs when I speed up too fast or slow down too much.

As for the jump, yeah my mistake, but that is what Unity labelled the control.

It was still fun, and I will be sure to share it. Lots of potential for this.
Zemir May 27, 2013 @ 11:27am 
Looking real good so far, been sitting here trying to think of ways to keep this interesting.
Got bored after a few tracks and held down the trigger. Pretty nice kaleidoskop effect... ^.^'

Maybe some sort of scoring mode based on dodging the ridges? Or one where you try to maintain as much air as possible?
Last edited by Zemir; May 27, 2013 @ 11:32am
surge17  [developer] May 27, 2013 @ 4:30pm 
Originally posted by Drachen:
I can say that the clipping only occurs when I speed up too fast or slow down too much.

As for the jump, yeah my mistake, but that is what Unity labelled the control.

It was still fun, and I will be sure to share it. Lots of potential for this.

Thanks for the info on when the clipping occurs, this just saved me a lot of time!
Totally forgot to rename the controls, my mistake!
Thanks again!
Drachen May 27, 2013 @ 4:53pm 
No problem. Just trying to help :D
Ahpuck May 27, 2013 @ 5:37pm 
I love the idea to bad i wasent there for the test and feedback but a good thing you can add is a Auto pilot mode. i would leave it play on my TV whil i listen to music all day (as a music player) and a game mod whit goals.
Ahpuck May 27, 2013 @ 5:41pm 
Ho and what about making a game mode whit mirior map (one normal and other upside down ) to male it like a cave and also make the textre able to chane like mot like a pixel textur or mor smoth or what ever
surge17  [developer] May 28, 2013 @ 11:16am 
Originally posted by Ahpuck:
I love the idea to bad i wasent there for the test and feedback but a good thing you can add is a Auto pilot mode. i would leave it play on my TV whil i listen to music all day (as a music player) and a game mod whit goals.

It's not too late to try it out and give feedback, the builds are still up!
Both Windows and Mac builds are available here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/142393387/1369611489
sin May 29, 2013 @ 4:43pm 
I tried the Rift build and it was less exciting than I thought it would be. I think there are a few factors that cause this... for one, the stereo separation of the "eyes" seems to be too small considering the scale of the world. I didn't really experience depth cues or a sensation of flight. Also, one of the big draws of the Rift is being able to freely look around, but in this demo the only interesting stuff is happening straight in front of you. Everything fits on the screen without needing to look around. Wrapping the action around the player would aid immersion.
Vunsunta May 29, 2013 @ 7:23pm 
Great program! But, right now, it seems to be only a program. I think this could eventually make a really cool game if there were objectives, and ways to manipulate the signal. For example, have the final 3D frequency terrain be the last stage of the output of a chain of effects that can be "picked up" by manuvering the player into the items. In other words, it would be cool if you could get a powerup that would for a limited time add an EQ filter to the signal that would lets say, subtract the low end, or it could be a sweeping frequency, and would essentially carve a path into the terrain for you to collect the equivilent of "coins" or whatever. The more coins you collect by the end of the song, the higher your score. The point would be that it's hard to collect them by default, but with audio effects that artificially change the terrain, it could be easier to get them.
Just a thought.
Frequency Domain is definately inspiring and thats a good thing. Keep it up.
Perip May 29, 2013 @ 10:08pm 
Hey, I like your project.

I feel like maybe the camera's field of vision is too narrow - too often the features pop up right in front and you aren't able to take in that much. I dig the perspective in 'warp' mode, that feeling of racing through a blurred lansdcape of music, the topography of it washing over you. I want to feel that subliminal immersion in the detail of the music, and from your mention of synthesthesia, it seems like that might be your intention, too. Collisions with the terrain seem too jarring to me, spoiling the sense of immersion.

Have you considered making sub-audible/bass frequencies subtractive, rather than additive?

As far as tweaking the parameters by hand goes, have you considered making that control accessible to the player? Maybe even with preset 'profiles' to hold the player's hand a little? Any song with reasonable dynamic range will surely have more than one optimal configuration, and the individual listening preferences of the player will surely enter into their appreciation of it. There seems like real potential for the players to interact with the game on quite a substantial level. It may also mean that players could add their own music.

I think there's real potential here for the game to offer an immersive, synethesistic experience of detailed music.
surge17  [developer] May 30, 2013 @ 7:58am 
Originally posted by sinoth:
I tried the Rift build and it was less exciting than I thought it would be. I think there are a few factors that cause this... for one, the stereo separation of the "eyes" seems to be too small considering the scale of the world. I didn't really experience depth cues or a sensation of flight. Also, one of the big draws of the Rift is being able to freely look around, but in this demo the only interesting stuff is happening straight in front of you. Everything fits on the screen without needing to look around. Wrapping the action around the player would aid immersion.

Thanks for trying it out on the Rift, there aren't many people with it so the feedback is extra appreciated!
I completely agree with you, the overall experience isn't as intense as I was expecting either and feels a little flat as well.

It's awesome that you noticed the visual layout! You're totally spot on about it, it was intended to have everything fit on the screen for the normal version of the game. I didn't have time to adjust the layout for the Rift, hopefully I'll get to work with the devkit again soon so that I can address that and the flatness problem.

Thanks for the pro tip about the stereo separation, I'll give that a try!

Once again, thanks for testing it and spread the word if you can, I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible!
surge17  [developer] May 30, 2013 @ 8:39am 
Originally posted by Vunsunta:
Great program! But, right now, it seems to be only a program. I think this could eventually make a really cool game if there were objectives, and ways to manipulate the signal. For example, have the final 3D frequency terrain be the last stage of the output of a chain of effects that can be "picked up" by manuvering the player into the items. In other words, it would be cool if you could get a powerup that would for a limited time add an EQ filter to the signal that would lets say, subtract the low end, or it could be a sweeping frequency, and would essentially carve a path into the terrain for you to collect the equivilent of "coins" or whatever. The more coins you collect by the end of the song, the higher your score. The point would be that it's hard to collect them by default, but with audio effects that artificially change the terrain, it could be easier to get them.
Just a thought.
Frequency Domain is definately inspiring and thats a good thing. Keep it up.


I agree with you about the potential there is in audio manipulation. But I've learned the hard way (during TOJam 2012) that it can be a deep rabbit hole, development time sink and can easily generate very unpleasant sounds. It's why, for now, I'm only using one effect, the low pass filter (activates when warping) since it's a relatively safe one (almost always sounds good) and it fits well with the warping feeling.

About the objectives/gamifaction part:
That is something I've been actively trying to avoid since the beginning. I've explained why a little in the main description and I got into some more detail in this discussion thread:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/142393387/810924133952357321/

Also, Robin Arnott (creator of SoundSelf) started a excellent series of blog posts about experiential games:
http://soundselfgame.com/forum/index.php?topic=25.0

I highly recommend reading it! It happens to mirror a lot of my thoughts on design when it comes to Frequency Domain.

-----

Glad you like it so far! Spread the word, I need moar feedbackz!
surge17  [developer] May 30, 2013 @ 9:16am 
Originally posted by Perip:
Hey, I like your project.

I feel like maybe the camera's field of vision is too narrow - too often the features pop up right in front and you aren't able to take in that much. I dig the perspective in 'warp' mode, that feeling of racing through a blurred lansdcape of music, the topography of it washing over you. I want to feel that subliminal immersion in the detail of the music, and from your mention of synthesthesia, it seems like that might be your intention, too. Collisions with the terrain seem too jarring to me, spoiling the sense of immersion.

Have you considered making sub-audible/bass frequencies subtractive, rather than additive?

As far as tweaking the parameters by hand goes, have you considered making that control accessible to the player? Maybe even with preset 'profiles' to hold the player's hand a little? Any song with reasonable dynamic range will surely have more than one optimal configuration, and the individual listening preferences of the player will surely enter into their appreciation of it. There seems like real potential for the players to interact with the game on quite a substantial level. It may also mean that players could add their own music.

I think there's real potential here for the game to offer an immersive, synethesistic experience of detailed music.


Ah yes, the field of view! I've been going back and forth on that for quite some time. It used to be set at around 90, but I lowered it to 60 recently (which is the Unity default).
I did this mainly because the world/terrain felt too small with a high field of view, reducing the field of view was a way for me to artificially make the world feel larger (or more like you were smaller in the world). Thanks for mentioning it, I'll take a look at it again soon!

~~~~~~

About the terrain collision: I completely agree with you. I recently improved it a little (it used to be way worse), but it's still not at a point where I would be happy with.

~~~~~

I'm not a 100% sure I understand what you mean by "subtractive/additive" thing. It's kind of funny, but I actually know very little about audio/music. Could you explain in broader terms what you mean? Thanks!

~~~~~

Yes, that's exactly the plan!
Allowing players to load their own music and exposing the design tools to the players will be the next big step. If all goes well, I'll be able to work on that later this summer, once I settle on the core experience and get an initial release out of the way.

The number of parameters is pretty low right now, between 20 and 30 in total. The plan is to allow players to play with the parameters in-game on a song they've loaded in, and then allow them to export the parameters in a text file (tiny size, a few kB).

Of course, they would also be able to load existing parameters files. The way you've decided to tweak/interpret the song would be contained into this tiny file, which you can easy share with others because of its small size.
This means that we could see multiple interpretations of a single song, which would result in multiple unique experience of a single song!

Experience --> Personalize --> Share

~~~~~~~~~

I'm really glad you understand and agree with the synesthetic vision for Frequency Domain, it's most definitely what I'm going for!

Thanks for playing and for the detailed post, it's super appreciated! ]
If you know other people, who like you are interested in this sort of experience, let them know about this! I needz moar feedbackz!
Showing 1-15 of 39 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50