This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Stonehearth
BorisS1990 Nov 3, 2013 @ 3:38pm
Do building blocks have to be so big?
I noticed that in pretty much all of these block based games the blocks that make up the world are huge. Typically a single block is as wide and half as tall as a person. This generally makes natural terrains look not so natural and doesn't let you put enough detail into your creations to really let your creativity play.
Wouldn't it be better to make the individual blocks smaller so that a person would be for example 4 or 6 blocks tall? I mean when you build a house it just feels weird to have a wall as thick as a person.

Sure it means considerably more blocks to process for a similar size world, but in exchange you can make the worlds smaller. Take Minecraft for example. Do you really need an "infinite" world? Who ever goes to the edge of that thing anyway? I personally never thought, "Man I wish this map had even MORE space that I'm never gonna see."I would gladly have a Minecraft world that was a quarter or even a tenth of the size if it meant you could get some more detail in there.

This ofcourse applies to Stonehearth as well as most other block based games as they all seem to share this fault.

The only exception is Blockscape where the blocks are quite small. But the building tools allow you to place them in large clusters of 4x4 or 5x5 etc. if you need to fill a space quickly.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
{K.N.G} Zigg Nov 3, 2013 @ 3:51pm 
this is a pretty good point i never thought of it that way :p
voxel_pirate Nov 3, 2013 @ 4:14pm 
Actually I think this really depends on the look and feel you want to have in your game. As one extreme I understand that Ever Quest Next will be also based on Voxels. However, they are so small that you cannot recognize them anymore. On the other hand you might have games like Minecraft.

In Stonehearth a person will be around 3 "blocks" high. However, items and detials will be crafted with smaller blocks so I think it is a combination of both... still much closer to Minecraft. For me the most important is that the looksi consistent and it feels right. From the pictures Stonehearth feels right to me... let's see how it is if you can play it :-).
BorisS1990 Nov 3, 2013 @ 6:13pm 
Yes in Stonehearth various objects like beds, doors, workshops are made of smaller blocks to give them detail. But those aren't really individual, they are all part of the larger structure. However the individual building blocks, like dirt, stone, brick are just too big.

Also, WOW, I've never heard of EverQuest Next. Looks amazing, namely Landmark. THAT'S how a voxel game should be.
Kinda troubled by the fact that Landmark will only give you a "plot" of land to build on though. Can't imagine it will be a big plot. Probably not "Build your own city" big. Nonetheless, will definitely check it out.
voxel_pirate Nov 4, 2013 @ 12:00am 
For sure EQ Next (and Landmark) has a prominent place on my list, too ;-)

However, if you would adjust the look of Stonehearth in this direction... it would simply end-up with a different game. If you change the building blocks and by this add more details, you will have to adjust all other elements (like the characters, animals, environment, etc.). The devs wanted to pay homage to the 8-bit era with Stonehearth... for sure will not work for everyone. But if you are open to it, the look is kind of cute, no?
Last edited by voxel_pirate; Nov 4, 2013 @ 12:01am
BorisS1990 Nov 5, 2013 @ 1:45pm 
Well my idea could actually be implemented in minecraft as it is.
Simply create player, mob, and item models that are 4-6 times bigger than current. New models have been done before so making them bigger would not be hard.
Increase the vertical size of the world so you're not walking with your head in the clouds. Already been done.
Change various properties of blocks like mining time since you would now have many more blocks to mine to create an equivalent size hole. Easy
And change the terrain generation alorithm to make bigger trees and mountains and caves to match the bigger mob models. Believe it's been done as well.

How easy this would be to do in Stonehearth we of course have no way of knowing at the moment since neither the game nor the modding tools are out yet. Just giving out ideas.

I understand the art style would change but even with smaller blocks you can make an attractive art style. I'm not saying to make the blocks microscopic. Just a little smaller to give more options for some interesting creations.
Last edited by BorisS1990; Nov 5, 2013 @ 1:50pm
Meehowl Nov 5, 2013 @ 8:21pm 
I think that this is a matter of perception and is mostly opinionated. I for one prefer the minecraft blocks as they are as opposed to (for example) CubeWorld blocks, which is what I think of based on your descriptions.

You have to remember that voxel-based games aren't meant to look too detailed. It leaves a lot to the imagination and also gives a nice retro feel to them.
Last edited by Meehowl; Nov 5, 2013 @ 10:26pm
Miturion Nov 7, 2013 @ 9:15am 
I like the blocky look too. Also it runs much better on your computer with less voxels. And unlike minecraft you dont play it in first person. You are most of the time looking from far away, which makes it look better then in first person.
17091 Dec 6, 2013 @ 5:12pm 
they're adorable
Originally posted by voxel_pirate:
For sure EQ Next (and Landmark) has a prominent place on my list, too ;-)

However, if you would adjust the look of Stonehearth in this direction... it would simply end-up with a different game. If you change the building blocks and by this add more details, you will have to adjust all other elements (like the characters, animals, environment, etc.). The devs wanted to pay homage to the 8-bit era with Stonehearth... for sure will not work for everyone. But if you are open to it, the look is kind of cute, no?
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50