This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Damned: A Randomized Online Competitive/Cooperative Horror Game
Dazrix May 25, 2013 @ 8:39am
Flash Light
I may have missed this in the video... But is the purpose of the flashlight purely and only that of to find the items in the hotel?

If this is the case, then are you able to pick up items without the flash light being turned on? What disadvatange is there to not using the flash light? It seems as though the flash light gives you away more then anything... If the monster does happen to find you, can he out run you? (Meaning is the flash light a preventative measure in which you can spot, and have that gap to run away with, if he is only same speed..)
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
MakeLove May 25, 2013 @ 10:08am 
The game is very dark.. there's probably no way you find items/keys without turning the flashlight on
Dazrix May 25, 2013 @ 10:27am 
people would find ways around it.. Either by adjusting there brightness, gamma, or even just by skill....
9heads  [developer] May 27, 2013 @ 9:26am 
Dazrix, the flashlight is very useful for either finding items or navigating throughout the hotel.

If people adjust their gamma, brightness and stuff, and play the game with their flashlights off, these people wouldn't find any fun in Damned, when you play a horror game, you want to be scared, and you want those thrilling moments when you have to decide whether to turn the flashlight on or off.

Damned is not a purely competitive game, nor it is an action game, if some people play it with exploded gamma/brightness adjustments, they won't find the game that much fun, it's the same as playing Slender without the flashlight or Amnesia with very high gamma values, everyone can do it (by messing with the gamma/brightness), but nobody does it, because it simply ruins the game.

In the end, if this was an Action game, we would be worried of people trying to "win" by adjusting their display configurations (and probably there'll be people doing this, but they won't play for long, at least without properly setting their displays). But since Damned is an horror game, it's better to do a really good horror game, and hope people will play it the right way ;)

P.S.: The survivors will have a stamina "bar", and they'll be able to out run the monster for a few seconds (while they still have stamina).
Dazrix May 27, 2013 @ 11:42pm 
I see, I do understand the whole concept of avoiding the monster. But I can't help but feel like it's unavoidable for people to turn up their brightness and gamma to avoid a loss. It's just the competitive nature of people, especially whilst playing with friends :) (If a Centre back in soccer could swat an on target ball off target before the keeper has to deal with it, without potential reprocussion from a referee, competitive nature would dictate he'd do it for sure. They wouldn't restrain themselves due to it ruining the fun of the game)

Also, by any chance are the developers aware of a card game called 'Mafia'? It's a game invented around the 1950s. The objective of the game of Mafia is similar to that of in Mafia. However, Damned adds the very real element of being a little scared :) If you're not familiar with it, I highly recommend you have a glance over it. It's a popular map on SC2, and also has an entire community/website devoted to it, Epicmafia. Check it out.
strahmdude May 29, 2013 @ 9:32am 
You could also connect the flash light to a insanity system and make it, so if a survivor goes to long without light they start seeing things.
Dazrix May 30, 2013 @ 7:11am 
Thats a good suggestion actually Strahm. Like a paranoia setting in.. I think thats good... :)
☃ㅤ Jun 2, 2013 @ 6:02pm 
It would be awesome if the flashlight did the occasional flicker / started going more of a faded color from time to time, just to keep that tension up ^-^
9heads  [developer] Jun 3, 2013 @ 4:17am 
Great suggestions guys!

Dazrix, thanks for the reference (Epicmafia). I (Aymar) used to play Mafia with my friends, it is an awesome tabletop game! Thanks for reminding us of it, we can probably find some good references there...

strahmdude, linking the insanity system with the flashlight would increase the flashlight value ingame, good one.

Shad, making the flashlight flicker and fail from time to time would certainly build up anxiety and scare people.

If you have any more suggestions regarding the flashlight, please drop them at the Suggestions discussion so we can keep things organized.
╭Narcissus Jun 3, 2013 @ 11:39pm 
I would suggest against any elements which may cause severe frustration for the player that are not irreversible. If the light's batteries cannot be replaced, it's a poor element. If the player knows beforehand one must use the flashlight sparingly or one's death is nigh; it's understandable.

The same element can be said about a Torch. If you flame it, you cannot turn it off. So that gives a whole other layer of strategy for the living since the poltergeist can see them due to the untogglable light source. Which makes the torch holder a constant bait, unless the torch can be thrown around from player to player and thus 'shuffle' the title of bait.
I remember earlier that someone suggested to create a function which drops any holded item if the player is 'scared', which can be interpetated through massive mouse action (screen shakes wildly due to the freakout). This form of function can work with the Torch by extinguishing it once it falls on the floor too many times, or heck; setting any cloth, wooden tiles and objects on fire. Now the world wants you dead, not only the monster. Verily, THAT will create some interesting, dynamic, situations... And I totally support the chance of witnessing an event where someone runs in tears : "I ♥♥♥♥ED UP, I ♥♥♥♥ED UP! RUN!" as fire and smoke begins to envelope the room, as the poltergeist humbly nods his head in approval for the more probable demise of the living due to his successful scare of the dumbass bait.
But, If the monster has a physical form, it from all things should despise fire; making it the closest thing of a weapon the living has, but only at the cost of their own alot more likely demise (the monster is still stronger than they are, it can take the damage of the fire. The issue here is the brightness the fire emitts, since I assume the monster has nightvision, any bright source of light would definitely incapecetate it..? The monster may not even receive any damage from it, which makes sense since you guys will never implament a method to beat it. I get that, but the fire can at least blind the beast.)
Seems like fire would make alot of sense in this game (catacombs levels, anyone?)

But back to the flashlight topic; creating a random generator around the functionality of the flashlight is nothing short of needless griefing, it is also a bad idea to create too much events with the flashlight which ties itself to other events, like the monster. Please do not do that. The whole point is not to string the player along patterns and linear mindsets, the flashlight is not supposed to be a universal detector for all of the events in the game. I can somewhat understand using the monster to hinder one's flashlight, to make it flicker, but don't abuse it. Cheers for listening! I know it was a long one.

P.S: I just noticed you wrote that this game is 'not entirely competitive', yet the title of the game says this product is competitive. Unless you want to change it to "Quasi-competitive" you would have to elaborate more on it, or take it down outright...Decide, what's more important? The atmosphere or the score / victory of the team? I'm just conveying the impression people get from the title.
Last edited by ╭Narcissus; Jun 4, 2013 @ 6:03am
Nev_ Jun 19, 2013 @ 12:32pm 
I think narcissus's comment with the whole concept of a "Torch" would be a good idea if you devs do plan on adding extra maps, like a mineshaft that collapsed and trapped your group inside with the monster, with just one torch for everyone. And for flashlight, you should definitely Make a battery system, with batteries being scarce very necessary. It would add a good amount of teamwork to the game.
Mkwacco Jul 16, 2013 @ 9:48am 
Hello , I''m newbie @ steam. Is this game @ steam , amm ican buy it ? [ i think ]
strahmdude Jul 17, 2013 @ 9:33am 
you can buy it, and get into the alpha, but you are going to have to wait till it get's green lit to be on steam, and if you bought it you will get a free steam key.
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50