Pomozte dostat tuto hru do služby Steam!

Prohlédněte si tuto hru a prozkoumejte ji více. Pokud byste ji rádi viděli ve službě Steam, můžete jí pomoci ohodnocením tlačítky níže. Klikněte zde pro více informací o tomto postupu.

Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted
Zifflin 29. kvě. 2013 v 2.10 dop.
short list of 'facts' about this game
I played this game 6 or 7 years ago, for a month or so, but had to stop and cancle my subscription because of an endless stream of gamebreaking bugs, as well as poor quest design

I recently started a 14-day free trial to try out the game again, so I do know a tini-tiny bit about it .. but not a lot, and certainly not enough to review the game

-- Developed by Virtrium, and originally released in December, 2003, by Artifact Entertainment as Horizons: Empire of Istaria

-- Tulga Games acquired the game and all related assets on January 25, 2005 and sold them to EI Interactive July 2006
((seems that this game has been through a lot of problems))

-- On July 18, 2007, Virtrium acquired the rights to the game
((I think this is the best thing that has happened to this game so far))

-- There are 'mods' for this game, some improving texture quality, some improving the minimap, but I don't think modding is actively supported by the game or the developers

-- The game does not feature any kinds of PvP as far as I can tell
((game doesn't seem to need it .. in fact, I don't think the combat-system can support it .. it's fustrating at best, very unresponsive))

-- Questing is horrible, but not as bad as it used to be
((if you don't want to read the quest-description and your quest-journal, DO NOT even consider playing this game, you won't get very far))

-- The UI is far from userfriendly, but it's working
((in my opinion, the only game with a worse UI has got to be E.V.E Online))

-- This game is still recieving new content, patching, bugfixing, and general improvements
((as I write this, the gameservers are currently down for a "Spring content patch"))

-- this game has the best community I have ever experienced
((I picked up this game because of the dragons, but I stayed because of the community .. I think the vast majority of the games current player-base will agree with that statement))

this is all I really have to add, with my very limited experience of the game .. if something I've said, is wrong, feel free to correct me

Zobrazeno 1-15 z 33 komentářů
< >
AngelofDeathXx 8. čvn. 2013 v 8.40 odp. 
There is PvP in a giant arena in the game where people can fight for fun or to settle disputes. I've seen many people go there quite often. Also, the questing is a grind fest, yes it is hard, but I'd rather have a game that's hard to handle rather than a easy walk in the park where you're led everywhere by a trail of cheerios on the floor or something, lol.
[GA] Vergial 9. srp. 2013 v 9.01 odp. 
I actually used to joke that this UI was worse than EVE's, since EVE at least has things marked fairly clearly. Still ugly as sin, but everything is marked and easy to reach.

But the longer I play Istaria, the more agitated I get that crafting something requires you to go through some absolutely ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ set of windows just to craft what you want when any other game worth a squirt of worth just lets you double-click the thing you wanna craft with and gives you a list of things you can craft with it.

So in terms of displaying information in a concise, easy-to-read manner, EVE wins. But that's just my own thoughts.
Zifflin 10. srp. 2013 v 2.54 dop. 
" There is PvP in a giant arena in the game where people can fight for fun or to settle disputes. "

glad to hear that I was wrong in that regard, but I still have trouble imagining PvP is any good, considering how dodgy and clumsy PvE combat feels, at least to me

" questing is a grind fest, yes it is hard, but I'd rather have a game that's hard to handle rather than a easy walk in the park "

I don't mind that it's sometimes hard, either, but I do have a problem with the fact that there's no way of telling what level the quest is meant for; what you're actually supposed to do / kill; or where you're supposed to do it / how to get there
and it's not fun being tasked with killing 25 treants to get a new spell/ability for your dragon, when you're forced to sit and wait 2 minutes for your abilities to get off cooldown, and/or 2 minutes for your health to regenerate by itself, after each engagement

" But the longer I play Istaria, the more agitated I get that crafting something requires you to go through some absolutely ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ set of windows just to craft what you want "

as much as I want to disagree with you, I just can't, the crafting-menu in this game is, something you need to get used to .. and that's not a compliment in any way ^__^'
on the subject of crafting we have the resource gathering .. I don't really see the point in requiring the player to change one ability for another when they want to gather resources, and when they want to craft something with those resources
you will fill an entire hotbar with 10 different skills just to gather resources, and craft something with them
it's not much of a problem, you have 10 or 20 hotbars by default, it's just annoying, inconvinient, and pointless, in my opinion
[GA] Vergial 10. srp. 2013 v 8.56 odp. 
"I don't mind that it's sometimes hard, either, but I do have a problem with the fact that there's no way of telling what level the quest is meant for; what you're actually supposed to do / kill; or where you're supposed to do it / how to get there
and it's not fun being tasked with killing 25 treants to get a new spell/ability for your dragon, when you're forced to sit and wait 2 minutes for your abilities to get off cooldown, and/or 2 minutes for your health to regenerate by itself, after each engagement"

I agree completely here as well. Let's also consider Sprint, my new peeve about the game. Why would you be able to sprint for 20 seconds only to endure a 5 MINUTE cooldown? I'm not necessarily a body-builder or a marathon runner, but it doesn't take me five freakin' minutes to catch my breath even after a solid 2-3 minute sprint.

Cooldowns are a pain and, in my opinion, ANY grind fest is a bad one. I'm bringing Guild Wars 2 into it again: they do NOT want you to grind. In fact, I ended up at level 80 by complete and utter accident simply doing things I enjoyed. Gathering, events, celebrations, beating things up, whatever I liked I did. And poof, level 80 inside of a month, and there's STILL a ton more I can do.

"you will fill an entire hotbar with 10 different skills just to gather resources, and craft something with them
it's not much of a problem, you have 10 or 20 hotbars by default, it's just annoying, inconvinient, and pointless, in my opinion"

Another complete agree here. If you need to have 10-20 hotbars in order to have your skills ready, there is definitely something wrong somewhere.

I can think of hundreds of ways to fix the game, the problem is that the excuses have grown old on me. I wish I could say something good, but after going through their forums, the devs seem to enjoy excuses, be it "That would be a lot of coding to change" to "We'd need to change the models and upgrade the engine, then make new textures", I see nothing but excuses for any suggestions.

I feel bad, I really do. I see a ridiculous amount of potential for this game, but the problem with potential is that it is ONLY potential unless the ideas are acted upon.

The game CAN be great. It CAN grow into something amazing. The problem is that they WON'T.
hatefulpeace 10. zář. 2013 v 4.07 dop. 
The community is this game is terrible. They basiclly do not want to see more people join the game. And the Devs I dont even know. As far as PVP goes, yeah lol. The PVP isnt balanced at all, and there is no reason to do so. The crafting isnt all that great ethier, its just world of war craft with more stuff. Its just gather point and click. But since the community is so small, theres really no point in crafting. Every one already had a crafter, so you would just be making stuff for your self. The only reason to play this game is if you want to be a dragon, and make a lair.
Zifflin 10. zář. 2013 v 6.22 dop. 
I have to agree, and disagree, at the same time

the game itself is soo outdated, and compared to alternative MMO-RPGs the game is horrible, gameplay, mechanics, graphics and animations, almost everything related to the core gameplay is outdated

but the community .. the community is the most amazing thing I have ever seen .. if you want to compare Istaria to World of Warcraft, then think of WoW as New York city, and Istaria as a village community

NY city = everyone running around, living in their own little shoebox, minding their own business, and doesn't give a wooden nickel about the people around them

village community = everyone knows everyone, who they are and what they do, basicallly everything worth knowing

I've seen people in WoW go out of their way to mess with noobs, annoy them and 'grief' them, and no one would care about that guy, no one would stop him

in Istaria, if you grief anyone, you can be sure that an army of experienced players are gonna grief you back .. eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth .. I've see it, and it was the most amazing thing ever .. to see an internet community dealing with an arze, without the use of loud swearing is just inspiring, LOL

on that subject, I think that's also why the 'hardcore' Istaria players doesn't want to see the community 'grow' .. they are, perhaps, afraid that their carefully constructed village community is 'corrupted' by 12-year olds who couldn't behave on the internet if their life depended on it .. you see a lot of those in WoW, I don't think I saw any in my 2 weeks in Istaria
AngelofDeathXx 10. zář. 2013 v 10.47 dop. 
Zifflin has a good point.

But I must add, the game does grow on you, as I've been playing and loving every moment of it for 4 years. Sure, it's not somes cup of tea. If you dislike a grind fest, don't play. If you can't handle bad graphics (even though people play games like Asherons Call and still enjoy the game for it and not the graphics) then don't play. It's actually quite simple... I really think people who have played the game for two weeks cannot speak for half the game when they come on places like here and critique it. I had a friend that really seemed to dislike the game first day they played. Now they're an adult and they love playing it, and they used to play GW2 all the time and even was a raid commander in a guild. You really cannot judge the game until you play it past a hatchling. I mean, not to get sentimental here but... why judge a book by it's cover? You might miss out on a good read. ;) The PvP is meh, the game allows you to choose your own rules in that and the game has nothing to do with it, I kinda like that aspect. I am an ancient dragon, a lunus, who still crafts and adventures and I only have 6 hotkey bars so.. 10-20? I think that's over dramatizing it. Yet once again, people who don't understand. You cannot compare Istaria to GW2. GW2 was built on mechanics and technology of TODAY, we're talking about an old game here. Don't like the grind fest? Don't comment and play. Can't handle a little hard work? Don't play. Can't be social and make good friends even though I've had the ability to make over 150 on there? Don't. Play. The concept is simple. I must add though that the devs are making a lot of changes. It's very hard and I respect them for trying, but the hardware Istaria is running on is very old. The reason why some ancients are mean when new players come in, is because we constantly have hatchlings ♥♥♥♥♥ing to be powerleveled (have someone level for them) and asking "WHEN CAN I GET MY WINGS" constantly. So you have to give them a break with that... All I can suggest to people is that they try it. Give it a chance. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but don't end up trying the game for two weeks and giving up, because truly, you're going to be missing out on a lot of opprotunities.
AngelofDeathXx 10. zář. 2013 v 10.54 dop. 
Another thing, cooldowns for most abilities are fixed. For example; they're fixing primal rebirth (rez spell. If you do not know what that is then it essentially brings a dead player back to live when casted upon) so that the cool down is 10 minutes instead of an hour wait. Sprint doesn't take long, abilities really don't take long, well, I've never noticed it. I've had four ancients, like 6 adults that I never made ancient and all, I did the work for them. Everything that everyone is complaining about, 10+ times. I really don't see why one person, can't make an adult dragon. It's not that difficult, I have at least five 12 year old friends on this game that have 4 ancients. The point is, it's not difficult, and if anything, they should have less patience then people that are older than them.
AngelofDeathXx 10. zář. 2013 v 10.56 dop. 
There is an ancient online that is in her 70's and has a mental condition (as the age range is massive) and she has seven ancients. SEVEN. Once again.... no excuse.
Zifflin 10. zář. 2013 v 1.28 odp. 
despite that your comments seem a bit hostile, I'll reply to them anyway ;P

I personally have no problem with old graphics .. I have a problem with bad graphics .. I play, and love, Dwarf Fortress for fu*k sake, that should prove my point ;P

I have no problem with a grindfest, I've played WoW for 3 years .. I have a problem with how the grindfest is paced .. 40 - 50 minutes spend killing 20 treants is horribly boring, and with no way to heal yourself, other than suckling your thumb waiting for your health to passively regenerate, is half the time spend 'fighting' stupid treants (yes I have a healing spell on a 5 minute cooldown, that doesn't help me much)

one thing I do agree with, is that I cannot REVIEW the game, after having played for 2 weeks, but I can criticize it, at least the things that I have seen .. I've stated my problems with the game already, so there's little point in doing that again ^__^

and yes, the game can be compared to WoW and GW2, for 1 very simple reason ; they are all MMO-RPGs, build on the same core ideas and gameplay .. sure, it's a little unfair to compare Istaria to monolith, aka World of Warcraft - so far the most sucessful subscription-based MMO .. and GW2, what I consider to be the most sucessful non-subscription based MMO (I've played that too, have a level 80 guy there, but I have kinda lost interest in the game at this point)

adding to that, since Istaria expects you to pay a monthly fee for the game, costing the same as WoW (without the initial feee of bying the box, but still has the same kind of subscription and price), then the game will also be compared to WoW, that's just how it works .. if MMO #1 costs the same as MMO #2, they can, and will, be compared ^^

one final thing, the age .. the reason I brought that up is not because I think 12-year olds suck at the game, I bet some of them would be better at it than I am .. but you cannot expect a 12-year old to behave on the internet, where no parents are breathing them down the neck, ready to smack them about if they do something horrible .. you do realise that's why so many guilds, in every MMO, have age-restrictions, right ? :P .. it's not because they're discriminating against 12-year olds, I bet they just have bad experiences with them in the past (I ran a guild in WoW, we had a 14-year old in there, a perfectly sane and civilized person, so he was more than welcome .. I also kicked two 20~ish year olds because they were asshats) .. but as a rule of thumb : a 12-year old will be a 12-year old, until otherwise is proven ^__^
AngelofDeathXx 10. zář. 2013 v 3.26 odp. 
I apologize if I sounded hostile, I am a bit sick and moody, I should've been more polite. I see where you're coming from. Far as the 12 year old thing, I understand where you're coming from once again because I currently own a guild and I have managed/owned many before. I was simply stating that people need to give this game more of a chance before they judge it more thoroughly.
Zifflin 10. zář. 2013 v 4.21 odp. 
I would love to give the game a chance, beyond the current 14-day trail, but I'm not rich enough to throw money at such a high monthly subscription, and I don't have enough faith in the game to do it, because of what I have seen so far

two ways of solving that would be, cutting the subscription-fee in half, or even lower than that, then I could find the money to pay .. or demand an up-front payment for the game, and then no subscription-fee, like guildwars two does it

yes, I know that I can play the game for free, being restricted to a single character slot, and human-only .. but lets be honest, that deal is not going to attract anyone ^^'
AngelofDeathXx 10. zář. 2013 v 5.41 odp. 
Oh yeah. I agree that it is wayyy too expensive lol. I pay almost 30 bucks a month for Istaria.
Zifflin 10. zář. 2013 v 6.26 odp. 
I should call you insane, but that wouldn't be nice of me, so I won't };3

but I suppose you're kinda forced to lol .. you either pay up, or they might take away your home :P
AngelofDeathXx 10. zář. 2013 v 7.35 odp. 
Nahh. I just enjoy it. XD
Zobrazeno 1-15 z 33 komentářů
< >
Na stránku: 15 30 50