This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Papers, Please
Bugster Apr 18, 2013 @ 1:03pm
Geography of the world
According to the map, Arstotzka is on the eastern most part of the world (unless the world goes further east)

It shares borders with Kolechia and Orbistan but you don't need to pass through Arstotzka

So why do people transit through Arstotzka?
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Becer Apr 18, 2013 @ 7:18pm 
The world obviously does go further east (And in every other direction, for that matter), since the game takes place in an alternate version of earth. It's pretty safe to assume that it's going to be round as well, not a square floating in space.
Last edited by Becer; Apr 18, 2013 @ 7:18pm
Phil Apr 19, 2013 @ 6:35am 
Some people have talked about things like planes. Don't know about this modern stuff though.
Magnum P.A. Apr 19, 2013 @ 9:49am 
Maybe Arstotzka has the big train station you have to go to for long distance travel?
Bugster Apr 19, 2013 @ 6:06pm 
Originally posted by Magnum P.A.:
Maybe Arstotzka has the big train station you have to go to for long distance travel?

In a big circle back out again?

There's no other countries to go to, unless Arstotzka borders with more countries on the East, in which case why aren't they on the map?
The Inker Apr 20, 2013 @ 9:23pm 
Maybe the other borders are even harder to get through than Arstotzka's.
Xytro Apr 22, 2013 @ 5:10pm 
For all you 10 years old kids, read abit about this, and get the idea that stands behind this game - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Berlin
Vercinger Apr 23, 2013 @ 11:42am 
Originally posted by Xytro:
For all you 10 years old kids, read abit about this, and get the idea that stands behind this game - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Berlin

Is there any particular reason we should be making that connection? And why do you assume that every person on Earth, aged 11+, cares about that part of history?
Katana Apr 23, 2013 @ 5:16pm 
I can't say I'm so familiar with the history of Berlin after the war, but would this be more relevant reading? It's certainly longer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Wall
Theo Apr 29, 2013 @ 1:00pm 
I don't think the game refers to just East Berlin but The Soviet Union as a whole.
Varenvel the depressed dragon Apr 30, 2013 @ 2:53am 
Originally posted by MannenMedEnBajskorvUnderHakan:
I don't think the game refers to just East Berlin but The Soviet Union as a whole.

I think both actualy , its refers to lots things , especialy if you lived under burden of comunism(like my family) and you know how hard things were especialy "if you wanted to leave country"
Vercinger May 17, 2013 @ 6:56am 
Originally posted by Cirno:
Originally posted by Vercinger:

Is there any particular reason we should be making that connection? And why do you assume that every person on Earth, aged 11+, cares about that part of history?

Are you being intentionally dense or are you really that ignorant? It's only the historical basis for the ENTIRE FRIGGIN' GAME.

Christ. Kids these days.

Now you sound quite ignorant. This sort of border control has existed in many other places and still exists today. I ask again, what about the game makes you so certain that it's meant to emulate East Berlin?
Xytro May 17, 2013 @ 7:16am 
Originally posted by ;810924774423258657:

Are you being intentionally dense or are you really that ignorant? It's only the historical basis for the ENTIRE FRIGGIN' GAME.

Christ. Kids these days.

Now you sound quite ignorant. This sort of border control has existed in many other places and still exists today. I ask again, what about the game makes you so certain that it's meant to emulate East Berlin?

First of all the Russian/Balkan Music of the game gives you a quite of Soviet USSR feeling.
Second, The names of the states all around (ending with "ska" and "kaz") like most of the Balkanic countries.
The black and white feeling of the same time, the way people look, the clothing etc...

Most of it, is the music :)
ASCENDING BEARS May 17, 2013 @ 8:18am 

Christ. Kids these days.

You're the one who sounds ignorant by saying "What makes you think anyone cares about that part of history" wrt the Berlin wall, in all honesty.
Also, in Papers, Please, there's literally two cities that share a name but are "East [X]" and "West [X]" and in two seperate countries. In fact, some immigrants will say how glad they are that they can return to their home in whichever of the pair is in Arstotska.

So it's a pretty obvious parallel to make.
Vercinger Jul 11, 2013 @ 1:52am 
Originally posted by Xytro:
Originally posted by ;810924774423258657:

First of all the Russian/Balkan Music of the game gives you a quite of Soviet USSR feeling.
Second, The names of the states all around (ending with "ska" and "kaz") like most of the Balkanic countries.
The black and white feeling of the same time, the way people look, the clothing etc...

Most of it, is the music :)

What you describe is a pretty generic Soviet Union / Warsaw Pact border situation, not anything Specific to Berlin/Germany. Further, Germany does not border any countries in the Balkans. And even if it did, there are no countries in the Balkans (or anywhere else in the world) whose names end with "ska" or "kaz".

Originally posted by ufo ending:

You're the one who sounds ignorant by saying "What makes you think anyone cares about that part of history" wrt the Berlin wall, in all honesty.
Also, in Papers, Please, there's literally two cities that share a name but are "East [X]" and "West [X]" and in two seperate countries. In fact, some immigrants will say how glad they are that they can return to their home in whichever of the pair is in Arstotska.

So it's a pretty obvious parallel to make.

Please don't misquote me. I clearly said:
And why do you assume that every person on Earth, aged 11+, cares about that part of history?
Note the distinction between "every person on Earth" and "anyone". I was criticizing Xytro's apparent belief that the whole world should have deep knowledge of the Berlin wall.

And thank you for the explanation, it makes sense. Though I still wouldn't call it obvious.
Someone Jul 18, 2013 @ 6:04am 
hurr
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50