This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Papers, Please
SonicDude8745 Apr 17, 2013 @ 1:07pm
A beginners guide (And explanation of how some of the mechanics work)
BEFORE i begin this guide, I have not completed the days after day 6.
And also, i will just explain how everything works.
not who to allow in. and if a person shows up without a document of anything required, go to the basic rules section of your book whom of which you check for Issuing cities.

So lets begin!
Day 1

All you do is allow Arstotzkan passports in and if there is somebody who is say, Kolechian,
You cant allow them in.
Summarized: Allow Arstotzkan people in, keep foreigners out.

Day 2

At this point you can allow foreigners in, but they sometims have fake passports.
You also now have the Discrepancy Detector.
Click the ! at the bottom right (or press space) to start using it.
You use it by clicking 2 peices of info, this will detect if there is a discrepancy, or its fine.
Summarzation: You can allow foreigners inside Arstotzka! But fake passports start coming in.
Use the Discrepancy Detector to find them.

Day 3

FOREIGNERS (Not Arstotzkan) require a entry ticket thats valid and they can have invalid dates.
Its more of the same (Seriously)

I'l edit this as i get more familiar with the game.

Thanks for reading :D

And Arstotzka is the best country in the world.

FredyC Gave a continuation on this (Thank you :D)

Originally posted by FredyC:
I will try to finish this guide, since I have completed beta version till day 8 multiple times.

Day 4

Things are getting more complicated since there will more documents to check:
Foreigners:
Needs Entry Permit (big paper)
Quickly check the name (be aware it's written differently then on passport), if you are not sure for longer names, use inspect tool
Compare passport number on permit, quick look will suffice, when there is issue, it tends to be rather different number
Date has to be bigger than current date, usually once you see "1982.12" you are good to go.
Be sure to verify what applicant said on your questions, use voice transcript or be fast enough to read it after checking stuff above.

Citizens:
Needs ID Card (small purple card)
Again check the name,
Date of birth, weight and height and district name tends to be ok usually.

Day 5

Fun begins here, you can detain some individuals. Usually if the game offers that option, you should use it, because it's for some forgery, which should be punished. Expired passports does not even give you option to detain... Otherwise everything else is the same for now.

Also there will be Vince Lestrade among the applicants. Take the "orders pamphlet", go on the last page and with inspect tool mark either of those two headlines and then name in some document.

Day 6

Another small complication, Work passes for foreigners. For now, it's enough to check name of applicant and date (it never happened for me to have bad date on this) , later you will need to care about that blue symbol too.

Day 7

Now you have to use scanner for Kolechian applicants. This is rather confusing part on how to use scanner. Just open Rules book and with inspect tool click "All Kolechians must be searched" and then person itself at window. Look at photo, don't forget to flip to other side. If there is something on the person, use inspect tool again and pick "No weapons or contraband" in rulebook together with item in question.

At this point, if you see Kolechian, don't bother with looking for discrepancies, search them right away and you are good to go.

Scanner could be also used now to verify gender, but only of there is obvious mismatch. This part seems rather funny sometimes, because it takes together male body with obvious female face.

Day 8

Last playable day for current beta. You no longer should be scanning Kolechians automatically. Focus now on seals on the documents, especially missing seals. Bad seal doesn't appears too often. Checks these first and then do usual routine.

That's all for now, hope it was usefull to you.
Last edited by SonicDude8745; Apr 21, 2013 @ 8:27pm
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
FredyC Apr 19, 2013 @ 12:20pm 
I will try to finish this guide, since I have completed beta version till day 8 multiple times.

Day 4

Things are getting more complicated since there will more documents to check:
Foreigners:
Needs Entry Permit (big paper)
Quickly check the name (be aware it's written differently then on passport), if you are not sure for longer names, use inspect tool
Compare passport number on permit, quick look will suffice, when there is issue, it tends to be rather different number
Date has to be bigger than current date, usually once you see "1982.12" you are good to go.
Be sure to verify what applicant said on your questions, use voice transcript or be fast enough to read it after checking stuff above.

Citizens:
Needs ID Card (small purple card)
Again check the name,
Date of birth, weight and height and district name tends to be ok usually.

Day 5

Fun begins here, you can detain some individuals. Usually if the game offers that option, you should use it, because it's for some forgery, which should be punished. Expired passports does not even give you option to detain... Otherwise everything else is the same for now.

Also there will be Vince Lestrade among the applicants. Take the "orders pamphlet", go on the last page and with inspect tool mark either of those two headlines and then name in some document.

Day 6

Another small complication, Work passes for foreigners. For now, it's enough to check name of applicant and date (it never happened for me to have bad date on this) , later you will need to care about that blue symbol too.

Day 7

Now you have to use scanner for Kolechian applicants. This is rather confusing part on how to use scanner. Just open Rules book and with inspect tool click "All Kolechians must be searched" and then person itself at window. Look at photo, don't forget to flip to other side. If there is something on the person, use inspect tool again and pick "No weapons or contraband" in rulebook together with item in question.

At this point, if you see Kolechian, don't bother with looking for discrepancies, search them right away and you are good to go.

Scanner could be also used now to verify gender, but only of there is obvious mismatch. This part seems rather funny sometimes, because it takes together male body with obvious female face.

Day 8

Last playable day for current beta. You no longer should be scanning Kolechians automatically. Focus now on seals on the documents, especially missing seals. Bad seal doesn't appears too often. Checks these first and then do usual routine.

That's all for now, hope it was usefull to you.
Katana Apr 21, 2013 @ 7:11pm 
Good work so far, but the guide could use a bit more detail. For instance, I think many players are going to trip up on the crazy old guy who tries to present an "air passport"...
That's not to say you need to detail each immigrant or anything.
SonicDude8745 Apr 21, 2013 @ 8:19pm 
Originally posted by Katana:
Good work so far, but the guide could use a bit more detail. For instance, I think many players are going to trip up on the crazy old guy who tries to present an "air passport"...
That's not to say you need to detail each immigrant or anything.
Thanks for saying that i'l quick edit this to add a hint to this.
And i took it as nothing.
Last edited by SonicDude8745; Apr 21, 2013 @ 8:27pm
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50