This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

The Great Gatsby Game
Jesus Fetus Apr 18, 2013 @ 10:18am
Will anything be added?
Let's be honest here: you can play the entire game right here[greatgatsbygame.com]. Now, the game's great, but as it is, I don't think I want the exact same thing on Steam. Here are my personal reasons:
1. If I can play a game on Steam when I can just play the entire game online instead, I'll just go online.
2. This game is short. You can beat it in like five minutes. Name one game on Steam you can beat in five minutes.
So, if you want this to be on Steam, I suggest you add a little more to the existing framework. There's clearly something good here, just not fully realized. More levels would be great, along with a level select or something. At least something the length of Abobo's Big Adventure[abobosbigadventure.com], if not longer. I know it's a tall order, but that's what you've gotta do if you want your game to be Steam material.
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Raweno Gǎ-oh Apr 19, 2013 @ 7:41pm 
Agreed ^
flimshaw  [developer] Apr 22, 2013 @ 2:19pm 
Hey there, thanks so much for your thoughtful feedback. I really appreciate it. I would tend to agree with you, we always had the browser in mind during our initial design phase of the game, and it was tough to find that sweet spot in the difficulty-gradient where seasoned gamers wouldn't be too bored, while casual gamers would be able to get past the first level. I had a few people mention Steam Greenlight (and you've gotta admit, submitting a Gatsby game to something called "Greenlight" does make a kind of eerie of sense), and once I found out the entry fee went to Child's Play, I figured why not release it for free on Steam and get it in front of some more people (and learn how developing for Steam works).

Having browsed around at many of the other games on here, I think a game with a bit more meat on its bones would probably be a better fit, and the voting stats for Gatsby (currently about 25% yes and 75% no) seem to agree. I wouldn't want to pad it to be longer just to get it on Steam, I really feel like it's wrapped up pretty nicely as is. So, I guess I'll have to come up with another game that caters to you guys more.

Take care, and thanks again for chiming in.
PopularVote May 13, 2013 @ 2:00pm 
Gatsby might not make it on Steam, but you're a class act, Filmshaw. I look forward to seeing what you cook up next.
Ravin Nov 5, 2013 @ 4:47pm 
@filmshaw You seen to be a respectable person with one of the most honest and professional responses I've seen in quite a while. Good luck to you with whatever the outcome happens to be.
Index Coffee Nov 23, 2013 @ 8:31am 
A good thing to change would be, and this is just a nit pick, when Nick throws his hat projectile, instead of his character sprite still whering a hat, his sprite's head would be exposed. Are we supposed to assume that he has a second hat that he's throwing instead of the one on his head? In the boss fight pic on the website he is using that hat that he wears so why not in the game?
Jesus Fetus Nov 23, 2013 @ 8:43am 
Originally posted by Mattomatt:
A good thing to change would be, and this is just a nit pick, when Nick throws his hat projectile, instead of his character sprite still whering a hat, his sprite's head would be exposed. Are we supposed to assume that he has a second hat that he's throwing instead of the one on his head? In the boss fight pic on the website he is using that hat that he wears so why not in the game?
You're kinda late there, he already announced that this game won't be greenlit, and that he would work on something different instead.
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 15 30 50