This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Agarest: Generations of War
m_hebert Apr 17, 2013 @ 10:48pm
Will Zero and Agarest 2 come-- if this does well ?
I hope this does well, they might bring over zero and Agarest 2. I want to get them but on PC
Last edited by m_hebert; Apr 17, 2013 @ 10:49pm
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
wazas1r1 Apr 18, 2013 @ 12:48am 
yes i will
Ghostlight Ltd.  [developer] Apr 18, 2013 @ 2:03am 
If this does well we would have to be interested in bringing over the other titles in the series but as with all these things this would involve reaching an agreement with the rights holder so we cannot confirm this.
Chizu Apr 18, 2013 @ 5:41am 
I heard that Zero was ♥♥♥♥ing awful, but that 2 was alot better.
I'd still probably buy them both if they came to steam though, we need more of this kinda thing.
I am hoping this proves to be the start of many more JRPG's coming to steam courtesy of Ghostlight.
DesmaX Apr 18, 2013 @ 7:50am 
Originally posted by Ghostlight Ltd.:
If this does well we would have to be interested in bringing over the other titles in the series but as with all these things this would involve reaching an agreement with the rights holder so we cannot confirm this.

Well, fair enough. But Idea Factory is surprisingly fond of the Western, always trying to find publishers for whatever game they had, so I guess it could be done
Balki Apr 18, 2013 @ 11:48am 
I think as long as ghostlight doesnt try to get these ports into the japanese market, there shouldnt be any problems with the rightholders. I could see some of them being anal if suddenly a western publisher would port japanese games for the PC and publish them on the japanese market
Tjoeb123 Apr 18, 2013 @ 9:48pm 

Wait, so Idea Factory/Compile Heart/Red Entertainment is aware that a PC port is happening?
DesmaX Apr 18, 2013 @ 9:52pm 
Originally posted by Tjoeb123:

Wait, so Idea Factory/Compile Heart/Red Entertainment is aware that a PC port is happening?

... What? You can't pick up a game and port it somewhere else without the creators consent.
Last edited by DesmaX; Apr 18, 2013 @ 9:52pm
Tjoeb123 Apr 18, 2013 @ 10:07pm 
Originally posted by DesmaX:

... What? You can't pick up a game and port it somewhere else without the creators consent.

I know, just making sure. Makes me wonder how porting works if the original devs didn't rewrite the game's code (or did they?) for PC. Which would probably be for the best, seeing as now they decided to leave their frame drop goodness in the Neptunia PP opening posted earlier today on YouTube.

"What? An idol game about me (and my friends)? Then plug your headphones into the PS Vita system and allow me to sing my heart out....Oh, okay. Plutie, you can join too." *other CPUs stare with anger at Neptune*
Evan Apr 20, 2013 @ 2:26am 
Agarest 2 will probably not come(or will take a very loooong time and quite amount of resources),since it's a PS3 only.
They currently porting X360 version of Agarest 1,Agarest Zero has X360 version too.
X360 games is very easy to port due to similar of X360 & PC,PS3 is a different story.
Ghostlight Ltd.  [developer] Apr 22, 2013 @ 1:35am 

Yes the rights holders are aware of this port and have given us permission to do it :).
Seki Apr 22, 2013 @ 8:11am 
nice, so we can play the other parts too on pc when i unstand it right( may be next year or so? :) )
mbilbo_the_mage Jun 4, 2013 @ 9:25am 
bought the 3 games. Will buy them again on pc. happy to have seen this.
Konachibi Jun 5, 2013 @ 5:18pm 
Originally posted by Evan:
Agarest 2 will probably not come(or will take a very loooong time and quite amount of resources),since it's a PS3 only.
They currently porting X360 version of Agarest 1,Agarest Zero has X360 version too.
X360 games is very easy to port due to similar of X360 & PC,PS3 is a different story.

It's not really a case of a game not receiving a port because of it being exclusive to a particular console, though it will take longer to port Agarest 2 to PC with it only receiving a PS3 release.

I know, just making sure. Makes me wonder how porting works if the original devs didn't rewrite the game's code (or did they?) for PC.

A publisher cannot port a game without consent from the developer otherwise there's very hefty lawsuits involved.
If a publisher requests to a game developer to port a game to another platform and the developer agrees, the publishers can then either develop the port themselves or get a different company to do it for them, as is the case here, as Ghostlight are publishing the game on the PC but Laughing Jackal are the ones making the port. This is why some games have extra company logos on their cases for PC or console ports, such as Mass Effect's PC port, which was done by Demiurge Studios. Many developers and/or publishers don't do their own ports ('cos they're too busy making/publishing more games, or do not have the resources or knowledge to do it) so they get other companies to do it for them.

In order to port the game however what has to be done is the original end-release code for the console game (the final product which is burned onto the DVDs/Blu-Ray discs) is given to the company doing the port, it then has to be rebuilt into a coding language a PC can understand, and it has to be reconfigured to detect PC hardware (Graphics card, motherboard, RAM, processors, sound card, mouse, keyboard etc.), then have a graphics setting implimented into it so the user can edit graphical settings in the options screen, alterations have to be made to some processing and/or graphical calculations within the game to account for hardware PCs may not have (in the case of a PS3 port, a PC does not contain the PS3's CELL chip which micro-manages some of the games processing), then the controls have to be recompiled to operate using different hardware (and tested to make sure there's no conflictions), file types have to be remade to be PC compliant and then it all has to be put together to launch via an executable, before being thoroughly tested for bugs, which must then be removed by re-coding the bugged... err... coding, and with this release also has to be optimised to work with the Steam UI, and once it's all finally done it then gets put onto the steam server for people to download.

I can only imagine how much head scratching is involved in such a process... but knowing this does certainly help to understand why it can take quite some time to port a console game to a PC.

One good thing about Laughing Jackal here is that they've released a few games onto the playstation network so they have some working knowledge of how PS3 games are compiled, so if a port of Agarest 2 was to happen, they'd certainly know what they were doing. :3

My curiosity is peaked though, Idea Factory often (always?) work with Compile Heart when it comes to making games, as is the case with Agarest, so which company had to be contacted to request the port since both of them (and Red Entertainment) were involved with Agarests development? And what is the probability of Compile Heart also allowing PC ports of their games (Mugen Souls, Hyperdimension Neptunia etc.) should Agarest do well, since Idea Factory were also involved in those too? And would those even be allowed since their console releases were published by Nippon Ichi so wouldn't N.I.S.A have to be the ones doing the PC porting? >.>'

So many complications! @.@
Last edited by Konachibi; Jun 5, 2013 @ 5:40pm
Tjoeb123 Jun 7, 2013 @ 10:29am 
I was just curious, as CH seems to not be saying "Hey, guys - there's a PC port of Agarest in the works, courtesy of Ghostlight!" to Japanese fans (in Japan).

Only one of those companies is the publisher (in Japan). But while NISA has always done the Neptunia series (and the better do all of the Vita titles as well....including PP), Aksys has headed up Agarest. Maybe Aksys had to say yes to allow Ghostlight to use their translation. You're right, it's a little confusing...

And Atelier Totori was published by NISA on PS3, but by Tecmo Koei on PS Vita.
Konachibi Jun 7, 2013 @ 2:21pm 
All of the Atelier games were published by NISA on the PS3 until Atelier Ayesha which was Tecmo Koei. From what I understand Gust is contracted to Tecmo now for game publishing, possibly because NISA couldn't keep up with all the stuff Compile Heart, Idea Factory, Nippon Ichi and Gust were all putting out so they let Gust go when their last contract expired, or maybe Tecmo just offered more money, or maybe Gust didn't like how NISA did things... who knows...
Last edited by Konachibi; Jun 7, 2013 @ 2:22pm
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50