Garry's Mod

Garry's Mod

PropHunt (Hide'n'Seek) - Original
MikeNized Nov 7, 2013 @ 4:19am
Custom name taunt sounds via Workshop
Hello everyone, let me explain what's the deal first..

I would like to create a custom taunt pack, MLP content (MLP haters, get out, we're discussing about modding right now). The idea is to...
  • Place the custom sounds in .../sound/taunts/
  • Add the files to the server requirements via ressources.lua, letting them download the files from my server
  • Modify the sh_config.lua in order to set the sounds
It is working, no problem about it. Though, the players need to download the files from my server. I would like to post a workshop item to let the users download it from the Workshop and the others use it on other servers, with regular settings.

Unfortunately, the files aren't named "1.wav", "2.wav"... but custom names, meaning it isn't the same configuration as the original sh_config.lua is. Example:
... (more)}
Same for the PROP_TAUNTS.

I could allow people download the sounds via the workshop but they need to be named "1.wav","2.wav"... just like the original configuration. The problem is I can only have two sounds for the Hunters and must respect the format .wav for the others when I could use .mp3 files instead, smaller files.
If I keep the current names, only the servers with the same sh_config.lua I use for mine will allow people to play the sounds.

I couldn't test it yet but if a server hosts with the regular sh_config.lua and the players, with the appropriate settings (for now, it should be .../download/sound/taunts/ and .../download/gamemodes/prop_hunt/gamemode/sh_config.lua, like a workshop item would work)...
Is it the sh_config.lua set in the server or the one from the local player that calculate which sound must be played?

Thanks for answering my VERY LONG post, I would have post it on the github but it isn't really an issue.
Last edited by MikeNized; Nov 7, 2013 @ 4:22am
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
MikeNized Nov 7, 2013 @ 7:14am 
Going through the comments (not the discussions), I noticed the algorithm located in the init.lua dedicated to the taunts.

According to it...
rand_taunt = table.Random(PROP_TAUNTS)
If a different sh_config.lua is located in the player's directories, which one is played? The one hosted by the server or the local one?
Kowalski7cc  [developer] Nov 7, 2013 @ 9:34am 
The client's one. So that's why most of the varios PropHunt plugins won't work (well)
MikeNized Nov 7, 2013 @ 9:57am 
Mhm, ok. So, they have to download the files from my server and they'll work only on it (or the server having the same sh_config.lua). How disapointing.

So, if I want to propose my custom sounds, they have to be named 1.wav, 2.wav, etc.
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
Per page: 15 30 50