This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

GoD Factory: Wingmen
Rakura Apr 1, 2013 @ 10:37pm
Why the price tag?
Just curious in the age of F2P Moba's why your company is choosing to charge for the game? Are you guys taking more of a StarCraft 2 approach to it? Or are you doing it as a founder type thing and then going Free 2 play later?
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
< >
Gheeyom  [developer] Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:44am 
There are three reasons.

The first reason is is a matter of means: as an indie studio, we don't have the resources to support the huge crowds that come with free2play. The servers to support many players are costly for small start-ups like Nine Dots while they are nothing to any companies that have millions in the bank to launch such a title.

The second reason is a matter of creative integrity: to make a F2P title successful, you need to design the game around monetization, unless you happen to be League of Legends. Usually, F2P games are profitable because of what is called "Whales", players who happen to be extremely big spenders, making it possible for thousand of others to not pay a dime and still allow us to make a profit. However, these big spenders almost always regret paying so much money for a game at one time or another. As the CEO of Nine Dots, I don't want to see our biggest consumers regret paying for our services.

The third reason is a matter of community: when a player pays an upfront cost, he will be more invested in the game and is more likely to fit in with the others. In F2P, you get polluted with more griefers, spammers, kids who can't play for sh** and just people who don't care enough about your game to ever pay for it. We're working VERY hard to make this game, and we'd rather have the right clients surrounding our product.

I won't lie though. It is possible that eventually we might go the free2play route. It's been considered for a while and isn't completely out of the question. Many studios started with an upfront cost and eventually switched, usually out of necessity. But these three issues I mentioned are what made me very reluctant. I'd rather see if we can pull it off without, just like Dungeon Defenders, Chivalry, Natural Selection 2 or Frozen Synapse. Besides, I, as a player, prefer paying an upfront cost anyway. I also think that 15 bucks is nothing to someone who crave for space sim dogfighting.
Last edited by Gheeyom; Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:45am
Christ Catnap Apr 3, 2013 @ 10:22pm 
Well said Nine Dots!!
Shaidon Apr 4, 2013 @ 7:01pm 
I only disagree with the F2P bringing bad character players. That also happens with payed games. The difference is that F2P have more players, so make it more noticiable. At least, you can quit a F2P anytime because of lack of respect from other players, but if you payed for it, you feel obligated to stay on it.

Anyway, there is no really right or wrong choices. Both have pros and cons.
Christ Catnap Apr 4, 2013 @ 8:38pm 
Wow...
FreakOrama Apr 5, 2013 @ 12:38am 
i like ur answer :3
besavednotlost.nl Apr 5, 2013 @ 12:29pm 
I can totally agree with your decision to ask for an upfront cost, but I'm a bit unsure about what I read in the description about additional content and DLC also costing money. I can at least hope that you'll settle with just one of these options and not both. I'd also like to know how you would manage a transfer from an upfront cost to F2P without hurting those who paid for the game.
Gheeyom  [developer] Apr 5, 2013 @ 2:09pm 
If we were to switch to F2P, we'd provide a staggering amount of in-store credit so that the player may buy whatever he wants.

We don't plan on having "consumables" microtransactions for now, only stuff that permanently expand content to your game. So the difference between DLC and microtransaction would be a matter of size. For 10$ maybe you buy a new species, with the parts associated with it, while for 2$ you get a new iridescent color to paint your ship with.

We also want to make a game that can last for years and always offer something new to experiment with. We can't do that just out of good will, we have to make money to keep developing new content. Sufficiently so to justify doing this content over using these resources to develop something else.

Let me reassure you, I also find it very important to not do like Call of Duty and force the players to pay DLC maps to stay current. For that reason, I would oppose to selling a new game mode for money, since that would divide our userbase between those who paid and those who didn't, and put unfair pressure on players to buy the new stuff just to keep on playing the game they already bought. So new modes would probably be a free content update. But new parts, new species, new abilities and other such enhancement would require to pay a little more for the new content. We do want to add stuff for free too! We just can't expect to pay our bills that way, and we'd rather be honest about it.

I think that the initial price of 15-20 is actually very fair, and if players are willing to support us by spending more on the game, you can be sure that we'll give them a way to do so. We're just 6 guys working at our own expenses full time to make this game a reality. After that, we'd like to see that risk pay off as much as possible as long as we don't screw with our consumers.
Last edited by Gheeyom; Apr 1 @ 8:46am
besavednotlost.nl Apr 6, 2013 @ 7:44am 
Ok, I'm quite satisfied with this answer, thank you. I'm actually looking forward to play this game. ;)
QuaziPance Apr 7, 2013 @ 9:26am 
So. "space dogfighter" sounds like the opposite of the type of game I'd normally buy. However, with your videos, and your comments on forums, I am certain that I will buy this game at launch. It is my oppinion that genre doesn't really matter if you have good enough developers/concept/gameplay.
Rakura Apr 8, 2013 @ 12:46pm 
Thank you very much for your response... Honestly, wasn't expecting to get this much of an indepth answer :D
tigran914 Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:45am 
Will be getting it whether it is F2P or not
cgngreenbadass007 Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:55pm 
Awesome it doesn't matter for me if is free to play or not. Like the reasons as to why is not free to play. Anyhow good luck and can't wait to play this game
Azorax Apr 9, 2013 @ 7:01pm 
I was just going to ask about F2P Module, and you've provided a very satisfying answer. The game reminded me a bit of Star Conflict, but prettier. This looks very enticing. I'm looking forward to playing it. Please make it come in 4 pack :).
I think a switch to f2p would be a nice increase in playerbase when and if you need an increase due to shortage of players which I doubt you'll have anytime soon.
Last edited by Azorax; Apr 9, 2013 @ 7:02pm
Gheeyom  [developer] Apr 10, 2013 @ 5:16am 
Don't worry, we will have 4-pack ;-)
Wrenched Monkey Apr 10, 2013 @ 7:06am 
If the gunships that are built in this game could be ported to the future single player game, I would certainly be more open to pumping cash into thier construction.
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50