This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Game Dev Tycoon
UnEpic May 14, 2013 @ 10:07am
problems with the game itself
I think the best way to put the worst part about the game is, its a guessing game.
The main problem is that there will only be four reviews and most of the time they don't help you in any way
If you could script the reviews as to tell you whats terrible about it and what's good with it in a proper way, people wouldn't have to go to the wiki to learn the best combo's
Not only is it a game about trial and error, but you also don't learn anything after the trial and error, If you could update it and make the game actually tell you what the difference between world design and level design mean, i would be more then happy about it
Its not a bad game and its certainly cheap costing only 8 bucks, but this game is missing a lot of cool features such as, multi platform release, better feedback from mistakes and successes and also the ability to have a bigger name for your game (afterall we all want to have the stupidest name for any game that gets a 10/10 and the game getting events and we can all get a nice belly laugh from the game we make.
I'm pretty sure there's a lot of other issues, but right now these are my main greviences, if anyone else has problems, please do post it in this discussion!
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
UnEpic May 14, 2013 @ 6:38pm 
bumped.
suksas May 14, 2013 @ 10:31pm 
And how do you think real game companies work? it's most;y trial and error for them too. You already know what each genre needs. As for the rest of stuff. They are thinking about adding them but don't get your hopes up since it will most likely be in sequel. This is an indy game, not an AAA with unlimited budget so you can't expect it to be perfect. And most tycoon game force you to check the internt any way so it's not big deal.
Zenotetsuken May 15, 2013 @ 2:28pm 
Originally posted by suksas:
And how do you think real game companies work? it's most;y trial and error for them too. You already know what each genre needs. As for the rest of stuff. They are thinking about adding them but don't get your hopes up since it will most likely be in sequel. This is an indy game, not an AAA with unlimited budget so you can't expect it to be perfect. And most tycoon game force you to check the internt any way so it's not big deal.

Real game companies have tools at their disposal to learn what is wrong about their game though, so that arguement doesn't hold up.
I think that they could easily wrap that into the Market Research upgrade that you can learn early on in the game, and it would alleviate a lot of the guess work.
To me level design describes the environment in which your player is currently experiencing, and world design gives the player a reason to want to experience it. I could be totally off on that, but that's how I allocate my time in the game, and so far it has turned out well.
UnEpic May 15, 2013 @ 2:47pm 
Originally posted by suksas:
that's no excuse, it being an indie title has nothing to do with problems in the game that can easily be fixed, we're not talking about making an engine that makes the graphic's prettier, we're talking about problems in the game that can easily be fixed with a few patches
being told what you're doing wrong is not rocket science. I said it before and I'll say it again, You being an indie developer and having low budget is no excuse for you to make a bad product = /
Not to say that the game is bad, but it does have problems that need to be fixed.
And don't try to blend in other tycoon games in this, Roller coaster tycoon did not require you to look at wiki in order to find out what you were doing wrong.
Leifanator May 25, 2013 @ 11:12pm 
So I tried the demo for this and was instantly underwhelmed. I would NEVER consider this a "Tycoon" game. I may be wrong in this, but as far as I know, every Tycoon like game gives you a large list of where your money is going to/coming from, the ability to make minor adjustsments and know what it's going to affect in game, and give some replayability in randomized events (even if they were minor like the weather they still had at least some affect on the game).

This game is just bad and the only reason I'm even here posting this is because I WANT to see a good game development tycoon like game. I might come back to check on this later on, but I have a feeling that it's not going to improve much.
AuZZie Kev May 27, 2013 @ 5:17am 
come on give the lad a break its his first game and a good game at that. i love this game cause it takes me back when all the old console's and pc. i dont see other games that remind me of the good old days of gaming
RustD0GGY May 27, 2013 @ 5:21am 
Agreed, It's fun at the moment but if these features were added.. amazing! Multi-platform releases will help with sales and will gain you more fans, and it would be fun to make a stupid game but still get good reviews. About saying why your game is bad/good would also be good, but since it's indie, we'll have to wait for an update.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50