This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Game Dev Tycoon
Jalandar May 9, 2013 @ 8:40pm
Too much a rip off of Game Dev Story
too close to game dev story, in fact, most of the game you can see almost exactly correspond to the equivalent screen in GDS. Inspired by? That would be like Ford taking the Corvette design, making a few changes, putting a ford motor in it, and saying it isn't a rip off.
Showing 1-15 of 39 comments
< >
HazeBlaze777 May 9, 2013 @ 8:53pm 
Have you played the game? It seems to provide a deeper experience than Dev Story does... Dev Story is fun. This game seems to be everything I wanted in a Dev Story Sequel... Only Tycoon got to it first.
g33k5t4 May 9, 2013 @ 9:25pm 
Playing the game is NOTHING like playing Game Dev Story. This game is much deeper and doesn't have the "Kairosoft" feel to it. I also enjoy Kairosoft games. This is a whole different beast, especially at higher levels.
HazeBlaze777 May 9, 2013 @ 10:20pm 
Originally posted by g33k5t4:
Playing the game is NOTHING like playing Game Dev Story. This game is much deeper and doesn't have the "Kairosoft" feel to it. I also enjoy Kairosoft games. This is a whole different beast, especially at higher levels.

Exactly! I enjoyed Dev Story... one of the most addictive games I enjoyed on my tablet. But they have taken the gameplay elements much deeper with Dev Tycoon, and even the elements taken from Dev Story seem better developed.
suksas May 9, 2013 @ 10:56pm 
Originally posted by HazeBlaze777:
Originally posted by g33k5t4:

Exactly! I enjoyed Dev Story... one of the most addictive games I enjoyed on my tablet. But they have taken the gameplay elements much deeper with Dev Tycoon, and even the elements taken from Dev Story seem better developed.

I second that. It's widely known that anyone call it a rip off hasn't actualy played the game and is a troll.
Greenheart Games  [developer] May 10, 2013 @ 2:25am 
I start to think that people really do not know what rip-off, clone or carbon copy actually means. If you're concerned about it being the same game then I suggest you play the DEMO and see that it does, in fact, use different game mechanics.
Last edited by Greenheart Games; May 10, 2013 @ 4:30am
Mumbolian May 10, 2013 @ 6:02am 
Only looked at game dev story for a couple minutes but it seemed different enough to me.

IntenseSandvich May 10, 2013 @ 6:17am 
I agree with Greenheart here. Game dev story was a tablet game with limited mechanics. It seems like Jalandar looked at the trailer before he posted this.
pdSlooper May 10, 2013 @ 9:06pm 
People really do not know what rip-off, clone, or carbon copy actually mean.
DeadlyVengeance May 11, 2013 @ 12:52pm 
Love how the poster hasn't replied to any of this.
UnEpic May 11, 2013 @ 1:23pm 
Originally posted by greenheartgames:
I start to think that people really do not know what rip-off, clone or carbon copy actually means. If you're concerned about it being the same game then I suggest you play the DEMO and see that it does, in fact, use different game mechanics.
If people really wanted to see what a real ripoff/clone is
Then look no further then Skyfar, the only thing that was changed in that was the color (I'm not kidding)
But seriously, your game might be similar and might be considered heavily inspired, but i don't see anything wrong with that, your game was not exactly the same game and i actually found it more entertaining then dev story and i liked dev story a lot
which just makes me sad to see when people are saying that you're a ripoff when you're clearly improving on the game = /
Mumbolian May 11, 2013 @ 2:42pm 
Originally posted by UnEpic:
Originally posted by greenheartgames:
If people really wanted to see what a real ripoff/clone is
Then look no further then Skyfar, the only thing that was changed in that was the color (I'm not kidding)
But seriously, your game might be similar and might be considered heavily inspired, but i don't see anything wrong with that, your game was not exactly the same game and i actually found it more entertaining then dev story and i liked dev story a lot
which just makes me sad to see when people are saying that you're a ripoff when you're clearly improving on the game = /

Someone watches TB. :P. I do agree though that the people who made Skyfar should be sued, it is disgusting how it is such a clone.
Doggie015 May 12, 2013 @ 3:31am 
It is disgusting that people are trying to use this lousy excuse to cheat two hard working developers out of their deserved sales
C³BU May 13, 2013 @ 2:37am 
I watched like 30 minute gameplay of this game and it looks just like Game dev story with like 3 new features. I don't really have a problem with that as Game dev story is good.
suksas May 13, 2013 @ 8:55am 
Originally posted by thewookie:
I watched like 30 minute gameplay of this game and it looks just like Game dev story with like 3 new features. I don't really have a problem with that as Game dev story is good.
Why not download a demo. Then you will see this game for whats it is. GMS is an easy game to play. Here once you out of first office you are droped into shark infested pool if youre not ready. Any new players always have to check forums and wiki to survive.
MaebeKnot May 16, 2013 @ 7:39pm 
I've played both games, though it has been over a year since I played Game Dev Story. I remember having more fun with Game Dev Story. Yet this could be to never playing a game in that genre before (game development simulator). For Game Dev Tycoon to feel like it was inspired by Story I feel like they didn't add much to the game. I am a huge fan of simulator games and feel like that nitch is not filled enough.

That said I don't think they expanded enough on Tycoon. They could have done SO much more with it but didn't. They really need to dish out some major updates to make this game worth playing more then once or even a few hours. I wont go into long detail but this game doesn't push the genre forward enough. Personally feel if you have one game or the other there really isn't a point in buying the other. IE both games so similar it doesn't even matter.
Showing 1-15 of 39 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50