This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Game Dev Tycoon
[WOO] volumunox Apr 15, 2013 @ 2:18pm
Great game, but
it truely is a great game, much like game dev story, but with improvements. however, like with GDS i feel you loose the connection to your games and you just spit out one game after another. This in turn does not represent the gaming industry all that well, it gives a "fast paced" game developing experience, but in the long run its more of a tedious grind rather than a fun loving relation with you and your games. stopped naming them all together.

know its a long shot but overhauling the economics and development time in the game would go a long way in improving both replayability and the fun of the game over the long run.
instead of having to develop a game over a few months it should be closer to a few years with more events affecting the game. (steam workshop?)
Old games still earn money based on their sucess where as they quickly die out and become a forgotten past in the current state.
And engines you make could be made public, commercial or private to either gain fan base / money

The game could have so much more depth with more work, spent hours and hours on GDS and this very much just feels like a shined up version of it right now, still awesome though and its something for me to do on long transits.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
DeadAndBreakfast420 Apr 15, 2013 @ 3:46pm 
So, are you saying that there is the mindless mass production and grinding in game dev TYCOON, or game dev STORY or BOTH?
[WOO] volumunox Apr 15, 2013 @ 4:05pm 
Both of the games got the mass production
Tubescreamer Apr 17, 2013 @ 3:09am 
I agree.. It is fun to make the games when you sit in the garage, but when you get a few employees, it is more like spitting out the games.
Wooden Oscillograph Apr 17, 2013 @ 3:57am 
@Tubescreamer
Probably, it is an exact reason why some game dev companies produce not so fun games as they did when they were small and not so famous as they are :)
Hexatan Apr 17, 2013 @ 11:14am 
@WOO volumunox
I have the full game on windows 8 and there some difference between GDT and GDS but it's more visible later in the game with the support of MMOs.
secondOption Apr 19, 2013 @ 2:41am 
I tried the GDT demo, and played GDS quite a lot when it came out. It's similar but different, and I do see some improvements from GDS. Not sure what other improvements are there, since I can't move out from the garage in the demo version, not can I expand the dev team.

@volumunox I agree with the lack of attachment to the games we developed (in terms of time spent & personal attachment). From what I read in the greenheartgames' forum, they are not going to change anything else in the current game, but will consider them for the next project.

One of the things that I wished was possible in GDS was simply to give game cover art. Even just with a set of random pic and lettering.. or let us import small sized jpgs to be used as the game cover art. Doesn't really add much to the gameplay, but it would give me a lot more sentimental value. I usually create sequels to a successful project to give a sense of gaming legacy.

Having the option to take multiple projects (can we do that once we have a team?) would help as well, especially with a long dev time. Dev teams sometime go on breaks (in/voluntary) from projects, do something else in between.
That would give us the option to have a pet project, a project that won't be completed for a very long time, and probably won't make a profit either other than personal satisfaction
NMihaiV Apr 22, 2013 @ 1:17pm 
So far, my best in the demo, i had 3M in the 3rd month.
Not saying to change anything in this game, but if you are thinking of making a 2nd one, you should add a little more depth to the game creation, so that it takes a little longer to make one.
Even if i "finish" the first part of the game in the demo, i still enjoy playing from time to time, testing new ways to make games(i get an average of 8-9, only 1 time i got 4x10 for a military shooter, but those are the easiest to make)
nothingreal Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:41am 
played the demo, and it's nice.. very typical indie game. Hopefully it catches on and the concept can be fleshed out a bit more.

I think more of a focus on the game development lifecycle - writers, producers, other contractors, QA etc.. would be good - also it would be nice for your company to effect the market in general - maybe you keep a platform alive because you keep putting out killer apps for it? I'd also like to see some hardware development take shape..

Additionally, they need to focus on the UI a bit.. while the art is nice, the UI looks pretty bare bones...

still a good concept, and well executed thus far given what I'm assuming are very limited resources.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50