This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Assault Android Cactus
Sycle  [developer] Jun 8, 2013 @ 2:29am
Assault Android Cactus FAQ and Q&A thread!
Hi everyone! These are some of the questions we've been getting a lot so I thought it would be good to share. Also, if you have any specific questions about the game, you can ask them here!

Why is it called Assault Android Cactus? Is this a phone game?

The main character is an android called Cactus. The name is intended to be descriptive, memorable and fun, matching the tone of the game.

There is no connection to the Android operating system.

Who is making the game?

Witch Beam, a three person independent developer in Brisbane, Australia.

Our team :

Tim Dawson, has worked for nine years as a video game animator, but also handles art and programming.

Santana Mishra, has worked for five years as a designer at Sega Studios Australia (formerly The Creative Assembly Australia)

Jeff Van Dyck, a BAFTA award winning composer and renowned audio director with more than two decades experience.

Who is funding the game?

We are self funded. This is a independent game that we’re trying to do on our own.

Is Assault Android Cactus meant to be played co-op?

No. Like an arcade game, Assault Android Cactus is designed to be a full featured single player experience, with balanced levels and characters, score attack modes and a competitive leaderboard environment.

Having up to three friends join in is a fun (and hectic) way to play together, and we hope people will give it a try, but there is plenty to the game for a solo player.

Why is there no online multiplayer?

Assault Android Cactus is a frenetic arcade style shoot’em’up. This style of game often doesn't suit online multiplayer, but the main reason is with such a small team we didn't feel confident we could get the experience to work flawlessly in the time we had available. We are interested in revisiting this once the game is done.

Can it be played with mouse and keyboard?

Yes! Keyboard and mouse works great and game has been designed so that every aspect can be controlled by keyboard and mouse or with a gamepad.

For multiplayer, you can mix and match, with one player on keyboard and the others using gamepads.

How big is the game?

The story campaign consists of 25 levels with 5 boss battles which we’re anticipating will take at least several hours from start to finish. We want the game to be very replayable, with unlocks, stage ranks and leaderboards.

There are eight playable characters planned and additional modes such as Endless Battle and Boss Rush and a remixed campaign with amped up difficulty for people who want to keep going.

When is it coming out?

Later this year. More details will be announced when we know for sure.

How much will it cost?

While we haven’t finalised anything, we’re looking somewhere around the $10-$15 price bracket. We want the game to be priced competitively with games we think offer a similar level of experience.
Last edited by Sycle; Jun 8, 2013 @ 2:30am
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
SMishra  [developer] Jun 8, 2013 @ 3:17am 
Hopefully this covers some of the more common questions, but if you guys have more just post them in here!
Volt Rabbit Jun 8, 2013 @ 7:46am 
Is there / will there be a soundtrack to download / buy?
SMishra  [developer] Jun 8, 2013 @ 8:14am 
We definitely want to! Jeff Van Dyck is composing the music as whole tracks before we edit them and make them dynamic for gameplay use, and they sound pretty amazing as whole tracks so we want to get them out there!
Bal Jun 8, 2013 @ 8:29am 
Good! I was curious about the soundtrack, as well.
Grimlar Jun 8, 2013 @ 1:41pm 
Yeah I was wondering about the music too. Im guessing the stuff in the videos/trailers is in game/on soundtrack?
Volt Rabbit Jun 8, 2013 @ 2:47pm 
Awesome! I love video game music, half my entire music library is made up of soundtracks :)
Saint Killjoy "Pokka Wrangler" Jun 10, 2013 @ 5:59am 
Yeah the music definately catches my attention.
Tubix Jun 10, 2013 @ 10:58am 
Any plans on closed/open beta or other forms of early access? Really hyped for the game =)
SMishra  [developer] Jun 10, 2013 @ 5:04pm 
If we get greenlit I think the "early access" program is quite exciting, but we need your help to get there! We also want to do a demo before release.
KainDarkfire Jun 11, 2013 @ 4:13am 
I understand why people ask for multi-online player, it's the 21st century after all, but... I can well understand the problems with trying to make that leap already with a game that demands so much, and wouldn't hold it against anyone to wait until a second game to add such a feature after they're established. (Hint hint.)

What I don't understand as well is what happens to your character if they're caught in the dynamic level changing, is there damage? Are they just shoved over to a safe spot? I didn't really see the scenario in any of the videos, and still skimming through this week's stuff to take a look. Also wondering if you've tried making the moving blocks glow a little right before that ripple, or if it was too distracting even between waves. (If there's no damage, then it doesn't really serve a point anyway outside of aesthetic.)

Also curious on why you made enemy bullets blue, still noticable when you're watching gameplay, just doesn't seem to pop that well against the grey? Maybe I'm just being over critical at this point.
SMishra  [developer] Jun 11, 2013 @ 5:07am 
You can't be damaged or trapped by the shifting levels, we design them (painstakingly at times) so that the flow of the levels is smooth throughout. One of our design goals is to make sure every level can be fully combo chained so they need to flow nicely. The end result of our design and code is that the player will always have a path to safety when the level shift happens, which usually means a sort of bridge of flat ground that leads you out of a hole or wall and transforms as you step off each block.

I think you would be surprised at how much the bullets stand out when you're playing the game and not watching it via compressed video, there was a lot of work done early on to make them stand out by using a bright core and dark edge as well as a tweaked shadow on the ground. Our visual language uses blue for elements that can damage the player, yellow for elements that damage the enemies and red for elements that damage both (such as bombs and targeted missiles).

I hope that clears things up a little! We're still tweaking things so keep in mind the visibility might change. When we do a public release of some kind we'll be relying on you to play it and let us know if it's still an issue!
Mezu5's Undeniable Sausage Links Jun 14, 2013 @ 1:01am 
Is the game going to have any sense of randomness in terms of level generation? Are we going to play on cerain maps, or just be limited by scripts generating them?
Oh, and 1 more. How are the works on the game? If you could describe it in %, what % of gameplay is already complete?
Sycle  [developer] Jun 14, 2013 @ 6:41am 
We've been trying to avoid randomness in favour of chaos, where levels are deterministic but unpredictable because of everything that's happening.

Specifically with the blocks level (which is one level out of 25) that is a scripted pattern. I did prototype an algorithm that generated random level layouts, but the results weren't strong enough so we changed our approach.

What I would call the gameplay is in a good shape, maybe 75% of the way there? Right now we are working on content, adding more levels and enemies. Hope that makes things clearer!
Hirengurth Jun 21, 2013 @ 10:36pm 
Great Job on the look and sound work. I like the slightly quirky look of all the androids. From what i have seen so far im convinced the first chance i get to throw money at you for a copy i will. Amazing work for a small team and goodluck if it would only let me vote more.
Tee Jul 4, 2013 @ 1:59pm 
Are you planning to release all versions (Windows/Mac/Linux) simultaneously or do we Linux-Users have to wait before we're able to get our hands on this little golden nugget? Not that I would mind - I'm getting used to release-delays concerning Linux. And I'll definitely play the hell out of this game, sooner or later :)

I really dig the soundtrack and how it adapts to the pace of the action. It's a neat idea to "reward" skilled players by adding layers on top of the music. But if you just want to play a level before getting back to work or whatever, I'd really like to hop in "guns blazing" and having the full spectrum of the soundtrack to drive me right at the beginning.
Will there be an option to turn off the adaptation so we can listen to the full bgm all the time?

And it looks like the movement speed of the player is a bit too slow. It's only a smidge too slow but I don't know, maybe it's just me but I constantly think the android should be a bit ahead of where she actually is. The Turbo-Power-Up on the other hand feels perfect!

The game overall looks and feels just awesome and I can't wait to get my hands on it!
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50