This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

GunZ 2: The Second Duel
Cotillion Sep 11, 2013 @ 11:53pm
Why people liked K-style. This is not a petition to bring it back.
I just wished to bring this up to explain why we were so entranced with it.

So for those that don't understand what this topic is about, or never played the original Gunz: the Duel; the play style of Gunz was originally the result of unforseen glitches in which the players grew and learned to use and exploit. Because this was possible for everyone, the game became a haven for combat based entirely on the skill of the individual player, not by in game grinding, nor by toolsets.

The previous system allowed players to go to their uttermost limits by training themselves to memorize timing and intuitive muscle movements to the greatest effect; due to this, a player can make a lvl 1 character and still down 4 lvl 50s (at one time was the highest lvl, gear wise). Of course it was not easy, but it was still possible. The competitiveness and skill of this game was completely unmatched compared to any other fps-pvp game that has been created to this day. Even more so, I don't think anything like this will ever come out again.

For this very reason, I would like to explain to Maiet and newer gamers to the Gunz franchise, is that what brought a lot of people to keep playing the original game for over 6-8 years was due to this extreme rush of being able to become better by sheer personal skill. Not due to being able to fly, wall run, etc. That was just a plus. The ability to constantly challenge yourself against others, even in a game that had not been updated in months or years. In the original international gunz, the community continuously increased, even with down time and hackers, even without any form of pve or changes (which wasn't as worth it).

The streamlining of the old mechanics to the new Gunz2 is very novel, and looks brilliant. For that, I will definitely play the new game; however, my small comment to Maiet is that what made the original game great was not flashy effects, not jumping or dashing and climbing itself. It was the sheer challenge and extreme nature of the old pvp. If at all possible, if you can consider these points in your next game, or can find a way to input it in this one, you will be surprised at what can happen.

For those that actually bothered to read this, I thank you. Cheers and may we meet up again when Gunz the second duel is released.
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
< >
Red Dress Sep 12, 2013 @ 12:09pm 
Many forget that K-style was not just spamming keys while having the sword active. The mechanical timing and accuracy for both inputs AND situational awareness was not only thrilling, but physically and mentally demanding.

The fact is that most kills from any style was their gunz (usually revolvers and shotguns because of the incredibly high immediate burst damage). A small percentage of kills are actually due to pure swordplay.

Since quitting IjjiGunZ I devote myself to Starcraft 2 and I have to say that the mechanical foundations I learned playing GunZ has helped me greatly. K-style was making usage of the allowances (and limitations) of both the human physical mechanics (button presses and awareness) as well as that of the game (glitches such as the SS, FS, RS.)

For me, it is not a problem if Kstyle does or doesn't exist. Kstyle did not create the manipulation of the game mechanics. Lets be real here, the problem is not Kstyle because Kstyle was the dominant way of playing the game. ALL games competatively will have the minmax prodominant way of playing (in Starcraft for Terran it is the Reaper opening, in GunZ it was Kstyle, in MWO it is now the 2UAC5 builds). The problem I have with the game is that it doesn't have the mechanical depth as GunZ: The Duel had.

Note that I am not saying that the GunZ: The Duel didn't have its faults, it did, a lot of them. Is having to lag shoot bad for mechanical play? No. Is it bad for a game model to be based upon? Yes. Same thing with Kstyling. It was bad because it showed that the games mechanics was not well refined, but that DID NOT make it a bad game in itself.
Last edited by Red Dress; Sep 12, 2013 @ 12:12pm
Cotillion Sep 13, 2013 @ 12:49am 
I sort of missed the good ole days of going into a game, killing 5 to 10 people and then seeing people call you a hacker or that you macro...

Jack, I kind of like how you referenced starcraft. In all honesty, as starcraft is the most demanding of rts games, Gunz: the Duel was the starcraft of pvp shooter games. It may not have been the highest in graphics, but graphics are just sugar coating. Most companies still have yet to figure that out. Core gameplay is by far the most important, everything else is just adding finesse.
JinNJuice Sep 13, 2013 @ 6:36am 
It's rather VERY difficult to define a "sheer challenge and extreme nature". I just never assume that anything is ever perfect, so long as mostly everything works.
Red Dress Sep 13, 2013 @ 7:50pm 
Originally posted by Cotillion:
I sort of missed the good ole days of going into a game, killing 5 to 10 people and then seeing people call you a hacker or that you macro...

Jack, I kind of like how you referenced starcraft. In all honesty, as starcraft is the most demanding of rts games, Gunz: the Duel was the starcraft of pvp shooter games. It may not have been the highest in graphics, but graphics are just sugar coating. Most companies still have yet to figure that out. Core gameplay is by far the most important, everything else is just adding finesse.

I have never reviled in making people aggrevated with my playstyle, nor made them dissatisfied with the game. I know it can't be helped sometimes, but that is why I would always try to help people understand the game better. I think one of the problem is that there was not a solid way to prevent those with obvious high skill levels from competing with those who were new to the game. That is one of the things that I agree was done horribly and wrong by MAIET and Ijji, there wasn't a solid way to seperate and ease new players into the game while preventing skilled players from creating a smurf account.

I agree with you there, mate. GunZ: The Duel was very much like Starcraft as the physical and mental demand you had to maintain while playing. Graphics are almost never an indicator of a good game in competative play, but it sure is nice to have. Once again, I go back to Starcraft: I am a High Diamond league Terran and the best way settings to play on is low because you have no lag and you don't have the polished details distracting you from things like clocked or burrowed units. Hell, even in MWO having your settings to low-medium allows you to have a longer vision.
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50