This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

GunZ 2: The Second Duel
187 Jun 23, 2013 @ 12:08am
There is still one thing that really concerns me about GunZ 2.
Please note that this concern isn't going to keep me from trying the game and finding the very best in the game that you, MAIET entertainment, have created and are constantly hard at work developing.

So here it is:

My concern about GunZ 2 is that the fastest way to get from point A to point B is still dashing based off of the recent gameplay I've seen from the Korean beta. I see a lack of sprinting except on the Shield Trooper since he's the tanky class not-so-mobile class. But what about the other classes? I never see any sprinting, just dashing. Why? Why oh why oh why oh why is there no sprinting? How does it make any sense at all that the one class that's suppose to be the most ninja out of the rest of the classes -not- have a sprinting manuever? I can tell you that gameplay would be a ton faster if the characters actually -moved- faster. That dashing to get from point A to point B being the fastest way to travel simply isn't good. It wasn't good in GunZ 1 and it won't be in GunZ 2. In fact a lack of sprinting in any game that isn't Unreal Tournament or Quake is actually bad unless the base movement speed for the characters are really high. If there is a sprint function, I don't see anybody using it in those videos on youtube. It's all dashing. And I'm already disappointed that such a core function to fast paced gaming which is is SPEED is not even in the game. I really hope it comes in because even if your combat is solid and your shooting mechanics are solid the people demanding fast paced gameplay are going to be extremely disappointed (excluding the people who are demanding K-Style back because they're going to be disappointed in everything about the game simply because K-Style isn't there.)

Take a look at game developers like Platinum Games. They know how to make even slowmotion gameplay feel fast paced. Even though they don't make multiplayer games they could easily do it if they tried. Gearbox and 2k Games also have pretty fast paced action games even though they normally aren't super over-the-top. But you know what all of their games have? High levels of mobility. That includes huge boosts in movement which is in the form of sprinting or in Vanquish's case jet propulsion.

A simple sprint mechanic is going to take GunZ 2's gameplay to a whole new level if you do it right too. I guarantee it. You've got the sword play and gun play down pretty well but the only thing that's really holding the speed of the gameplay down is a lack of actually speed. I'll say it again. SPEED.
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
< >
Mr. Satan Jun 23, 2013 @ 12:23am 
Nope, Wall running is the fastest & you are making way to big of a deal that did not concern the majority of players we are fine with dashing.
187 Jun 23, 2013 @ 12:34am 
Originally posted by Dreadful // Ldr:
Nope, Wall running is the fastest & you are making way to big of a deal that did not concern the majority of players we are fine with dashing.
Please note that this is my concern and I'm not speaking for other people. I exclude wall running because it's wall running and not a ground movement mechanic. It's a situational movement manuever based on whether a wall is there for you to even run up on or not. Dashing is faster than walking, which it should be, but the fact that sprinting isn't even there in the game is puzzling. There's nothing heart pumping about the dashing or the walking and it's not really much of an andrenaline rush doing parkour on walls these days. Especially with games like Warframe around where that game's gameplay is fast, it gives players a super high amount of mobility, and for the most part it's fluid. GunZ 2 only has the fluidity of combat, but movement is staggering and the dashing, which should be an -evasive manuever only- is the fastest ground movement players have. Wall running may be fast but its extremely restrictive in the player's freedom of movement.
Ashzu Jun 23, 2013 @ 6:00am 
Aspari has a point. Constantly dashing is sort of mundane and it looks really lame in videos (whoosh woosh woosh whoosh etc)

If wall running is a plausible way to get around then I don't think it needs to be changed but otherwise I think something may have to be done.
♦衝撃波- Electric Shock ♦ Jun 23, 2013 @ 7:25am 
Actually that is a very good suggestion; there should be sprinting
JinNJuice Jun 23, 2013 @ 11:06am 
I have also given consideration towards this seemingly strange conflict. I have come to some theories that giving every class a sprinting maneuver may overshadow some other maneuver features. The notion of dashing to dodge would more or less be replaced by the sprinting left and right as an evasion. To dash in and slash as a means to close the gap and melee would be no longer required, if one can just sprint in and quickly combo. Balancing these features may require more restrictive features, such as stamina limits or such, which would drastically reduce the game's speed. There needs to be something that makes sprinting useful in its own way without proving other movements obsolete. Perhaps if they made it impossible to gun, melee, or guard while sprinting... Ugh, now this is starting to sound like S4 League...
Mr. Satan Jun 23, 2013 @ 4:38pm 
Well, I kinda like the idea of timing my dashes to build up a faster speed.
187 Jun 23, 2013 @ 5:46pm 
Originally posted by JinNJuice:
I have also given consideration towards this seemingly strange conflict. I have come to some theories that giving every class a sprinting maneuver may overshadow some other maneuver features. The notion of dashing to dodge would more or less be replaced by the sprinting left and right as an evasion. To dash in and slash as a means to close the gap and melee would be no longer required, if one can just sprint in and quickly combo. Balancing these features may require more restrictive features, such as stamina limits or such, which would drastically reduce the game's speed. There needs to be something that makes sprinting useful in its own way without proving other movements obsolete. Perhaps if they made it impossible to gun, melee, or guard while sprinting... Ugh, now this is starting to sound like S4 League...
There are plenty of other third person shooters that you could compare with. S4 League doesn't need to be one of them. The simple way to balancing sprinting is a short wind-up time before you reach maximum sprinting speed. Dashing to dodge would be fine if and only if the speed of the dodge was increased from what it is right now. Sprinting is just suppose to be a means to getting to the battle zone faster. That's all. No need for players to be able to shoot while sprinting, no need for there to be any melee while sprinting like you can do in Metal Gear Rising, it's simply should be a means of transportation.
Zerreth Jun 24, 2013 @ 6:46am 
I'm going to have to oppose the idea of a sprint, mainly because if sprinting becomes the fastest way to move, the game becomes very "flat." Players will be expected to approach from the ground as it is the most efficient way to cover distance and you lose a sense of the 3D battle ground aspect.

I'm not really sure what your argument against gunz2 is besides "it looks slow." You seem to imply from your original post that Gunz 2 doesn't have high levels of mobility, but that doesn't qutie make sense to me. If you can run on walls, dash in the air, climb walls, and if they finalize the map where there are destructable environments where you can then climb the falling pieces, I don't really see where Gunz 2 would lack a high level of mobility.

That said, your examples are kind of wierd. I was under the understanding that 2k games is primarily a publisher (not development) and Gearbox developed Halo, the borderlands series and a handful of world war II shooters. BL and Halo both feature low gravity but I wouldn't really say that those two games have "high levels of mobility." Halo does if you include vehicles but that doesn't really apply to gunz.
Last edited by Zerreth; Jun 24, 2013 @ 6:46am
187 Jun 24, 2013 @ 12:20pm 
Originally posted by Zerreth:
I'm going to have to oppose the idea of a sprint, mainly because if sprinting becomes the fastest way to move, the game becomes very "flat." Players will be expected to approach from the ground as it is the most efficient way to cover distance and you lose a sense of the 3D battle ground aspect.
I have to bring up level design now in order to endorse sprinting. Say that some levels are closed in with a lot of walls. Most of the time you won't need to sprint because there isn't a ton of distance to cover. Sprinting won't be used in those maps. Now take a very open map where walls aren't the least practical way to get to where you want to go. Sprinting just made getting to your destination a ton easier. From the videos I've seen MAIET doesn't want GunZ 2 to be an arena shooter 100% of the time so something like sprinting seems like an obvious mechanic to have in the game. Constantly dashing as a substitute for sprinting isn't good to look at. In fact it just looks really silly and unappealing that if you wanna go fast you gotta dash instead of running really fast.

Now that being out of the way there's no reason for sprint speed to be the fastest in the game. In fact it shouldn't be that way. It just needs to be the most consistent and reliable way to get from point A to point B. It just makes sense that that's how it should be. Why? You're using your legs. If you can run on walls then why the heck would it be so hard to sprint? Sprinting should be 100% player choice to use but the fact that it's not there at all makes me question exactly how much MAIET learned from GunZ 1 and other games that have came out since then.
Adelia~ ALL HAIL THE SSD Jun 25, 2013 @ 6:04pm 
Sprint_Toggle = 1
or maybe this way
Bindings=(Name="Sprint",Command="ToggleSprint")

Says enough of the problem, unless there's gonna be stamina system(which is going to slow down the game) players will just keep running with shift being pressed down at all time anyway... pointless, its better to setup high running speed but again if u set it too high, dashing will come useless and the game will lose its soul.
If you gonna increase the dash speed then the whole game will be faster and bigger maps might be needed, good luck with coming up with solution
phaZon Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:20pm 
oh god

please no

i'm totally for them streamlining kstyle movement, but sprinting? cmon that's like putting rocketlaunchers in counter strike
Last edited by phaZon; Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:21pm
JinNJuice Jun 25, 2013 @ 11:30pm 
Well, consider that the Shield Trooper can sprint after a dash.
Darxio Jun 26, 2013 @ 6:23pm 
If there is a sprint, it should be faster than a dash only when going forward.

I repeat, only for forward, non-aerial, non-combat movement. Even if it's only minute, it should be faster(or even at least on par so I don't have to kill my fingers or keyboard just to get from point A to point B when there's no enemies around).

Any sort of side or aerial movement, I would want a dash to still be faster. Side dashing with my dagger to move in for the kill was exhilerating back in the day.
ShadowSavior Jun 26, 2013 @ 9:48pm 
well actually heavy makes up for his lack of speed with his run if you dash and hold run you sprint so just shut up and use heavy in game hes slower on walls but faster on ground other characters dash easy but the thing is if you play on mansion you can do a side ways sprint fast as if it was gunz

ive played gunz 2 private server from 2011 beta and honestly gunz 2 is awesome in my opinion they're remaking alot of the most popular maps as you can probably tell but with revamps and i think its awesome because i saw my favorite map with beutifual graphics (mansion) and they added a balcony on one side for snipers
Uke Jun 27, 2013 @ 5:29am 
Sprinting would brake GunZ.
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50