This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

GunZ 2: The Second Duel
[ASUS] Count Jan 4 @ 3:46pm
Does GunZ 2 have the same gameplay depth as GunZ 1?
Just wondering to those who played in the beta. One of the greatest things about GunZ is learning the moves which are technically glitches. From the basics: Kstyle / BF/ RS / RSS / RHS / WS to the hardest moves: Forbidden Step (14 keys in less that 1-2 seconds; Useless, but insane if pulled off on 1v1) / Wind Step / Hellclimb / Instafall / Tripple BF / Wallrun Reload (really tricky, but easy once mastered; shown on video, when one of the players are on the bottom of bridge reloading while wallrunning, really risky.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4tc_NUoMT0
^ High level gameplay ^

Didn't play on the CBT, so how is it?
Showing 1-15 of 53 comments
< >
Ryou Jan 4 @ 4:14pm 
It has depth, but not Gunz 1 style depth.
5onic Jan 4 @ 4:29pm 
No, it does not have depth as GunZ 1.
Lord Edmund Blackadder II Jan 4 @ 5:35pm 
It's too early for anyone to decide which game has the most depth. Gunz vets will immediately say no, completely due to bias.

Give the game at least a year before the community can set the standard of its combat style, much like the original Gunz.

K-Style, Slash Shot ect didn't appear over night.

It took years of players expanding on new found mechanics (exploits/glitches) before these things came about. People tend to forget this.
Shadow_Neji Jan 4 @ 6:32pm 
Nope, Gunz 2 is what developers wanted for gunz 1 but with all the famous k-style and more made the game famous so they left it as that. GUnz2 is more slow version of gunz1
KSib Jan 4 @ 11:36pm 
I wouldn't really call that depth.
Tenshu Jan 5 @ 12:57am 
^ Ah, intelligence.
Ashzu Jan 5 @ 2:14am 
Implying spamming a handful of techniques and hopefully killing somebody is depth.

Difficulty =/= Depth
Last edited by Ashzu; Jan 5 @ 2:14am
Ryou Jan 5 @ 4:57am 
Originally posted by Ashzu:
Implying spamming a handful of techniques and hopefully killing somebody is depth.

Difficulty =/= Depth

Apparently we're all experts nowadays since Gunz was the one true skilled game. How far did Gunz 1 tournaments go? Barely anywhere. One of the reasons being that k-style didn't actually have depth (OH NO I DIDN'T!). But it's true. You mashed buttons and "created" abilities. But who cares if you used RHS or Forbidden step? As long as you got shots off and killed people, great. There was very limited strategy (Note: Limited, not nonexistent).

Lets say hypothetically if you made it so you could dash with a gun out, rendering it useless to slash in your combo. You've got a more simplified combo, but the execution is exactly the same. Is the game now LESS skilled? Sure, you press less buttons. But the outcome is exactly the same. Those extra buttons are just excess for nothing. It's like doing a 360 in cod beefore sniping someone. It's excessive and unnecessary which is the hard truth that people don't seem to accept. Gunz 1 had TECHNIQUE, not skill. In a fighting game, you could learn all the combos. That's learning technique. But things like timing, when to use them, mind games, checking for opening etc. That's the actual skill in the game. No matter how many moves you can pull off, if that's all you know you're not going to get far competitively.

But that's what Gunz 1 was. You learned moves and then what? Nothing, it ended up being who could pull off the most shots the quickest and had the better aim (or could lead better, lol). I'd say in terms of depth, Gunz 2 has already surpassed that because there are things you actually have to think of. The maps actually matter this time rather than in the first game where they barely did. Things like timers on armour/Z pick ups, map call outs, positioning, what classes to run?

That alone is more to think of than "hurr durr, lets rush mid and shoot each other until one of us survives".
Shin Jan 5 @ 7:13am 
I'm not sure you guys really understand what depth is. Even as a vet from 2005 on iGunZ, I still have to say original GunZ wasn't a deep game at all. The game had style and technique, and it was hella fun... but it wasn't deep. Don't mistake me, I loved K-style. It was one of those things that the more you did it, the more fun it was to do -- but let's not mistake that for gameplay depth. It was more like gameplay complication. Which doesn't make it a bad thing, necessarily -- but it does give the game an accessibility cap. Which is something Maiet wants to avoid this time around. Which is fine with me. Less time spent learning arbitrary moves = more time spent actually getting good at using what you know. I'm one of those who actually wants my peers to be challenging opponents, because that forces me to get better as well. So, I'd rather go into a game and expect everyone to be capable of killing me, than just the ones who bothered to keep up with my technique.

If you're asking if you can do the sheer number of "moves" that you could in GZ1, the answer is no*. The asterisk is because, to put it bluntly, 90% of the old moves aren't necessary anymore because the engine streamlined them. You don't need to slash-shoot if you can dash with a gun out. You don't need to wall-climb if the wall-running mechanics are decent. You don't need to butterfly if the melee mechanics don't suck. (Let's be honest, GZ1 had really trashy melee mechanics - butterflying was the only way we could make it entertaining).
Mythological Jan 5 @ 9:47am 
It has it's own learning curve, but the game is made for anyone to pick up and play.
Wazawulf Jan 5 @ 10:58am 
Just played gunz 2 in the asian servers, mostly solo and campaign. Gunz 1 is a different game than Gunz 2. Same amount of depth, maybe. Gunz 1 depth wasn't that deep anyway. Fun but not deep.

Gunz 1 was all about air and wall combat. Gunz 2 post second patch, dashing has a very slight delay/cooldown even though you have touch a surface. Air combat is nearly nonexistant. Nearly most of the time your damage will be on or near the surface of the ground.

Gunz 1 was all about the high and open maps. In Gunz 2 there are more guns blazing and close quarter guerilla tactics.

Depth will be from the class system and the mission campaign. With the campaign, there is a linear story that is the good thing. My slight problem with that is it just feels like any other shooter co-op campaign. Personally, I missed the arena style stages and the importance of bfing. With the class system, it does provide different styles of play. How they go with it will determine how the game goes.
Last edited by Wazawulf; Jan 5 @ 11:17am
JinNJuice Jan 5 @ 1:41pm 
Guys, he asked if GunZ 2 has the SAME depth as GunZ 1, NOT if GunZ 2 has MORE OR LESS depth than GunZ 1, NOR if it's EASIER OR HARDER. So skip that. Seriously.

Anyways, to answer your question. It has differences, definitely. Controls and mechanics had a major overhaul, compared to GunZ 1. Actions have more focus, in terms of the control layout and positioning ingame. Examples:

To choose between wallrunning and walljumping, it is determined by the angle that the character faces relative to the wall and the direction that the player presses when pressing jump again in midair onto the wall. Generally speaking, pressing forward will begin a wallrun, and pressing sideways will allow an immediate walljump instead. Mix in some air dashes into the same wall or another wall, or even land onto ground and make different movements and attacks.

Players can guard upper frontal single shots. Guarding a basic melee attack in the front will save you from damage. Players are able to parry from basic melee attacks in the front, at the expense of one bar of the Z gauge. There are also guardbreakers, power hits, and launch strikes to mix things up. Players can quickswitch to a gun after a successful launch hit, which cancels the need for a weapon switching animation, thus allowing the player to immediately fire afterwards.

Some guns have a secondary function to compliment its main function. The most obvious one is with the sniper rifle, where it has a zoom scope. The rifle has iron sights, the minigun allows maintained barrel rotation, the dual pistols can be fired faster, and more soon to come.
Lord Edmund Blackadder II Jan 5 @ 4:05pm 
You can't explain whether or not the game has the same depth as the original without covering the differences and similarities of each game. Not to mention, you immediately doing what it was you asked others not to do, state the differences and similarities.

See: Or

Furthermore, he didn't ask anything about the basic mechanics, instead, asking for the more advanced mechanics, those of which aren't covered in the tutorial.

i.e community developed techniques.

I appreciate your willingness to help the growing Gunz 2 community, but there is no need to ask people to completely disregard their statements. It comes across as very arrogant and one-sided.
Last edited by Lord Edmund Blackadder II; Jan 5 @ 4:25pm
JinNJuice Jan 5 @ 5:41pm 
No. The way that people "compare" the two games is arrogant.

Originally posted by Lord Edmund Blackadder II:
Not to mention, you immediately doing what it was you asked others not to do, state the differences and similarities.
I can't even tell what you're saying here. If you're saying I stated differences and similarities, then you're not reading. I stated ONLY features in GunZ 2. We don't need to talk about GunZ 1 to expand and grow on GunZ 2. I'm telling people what GunZ 2 provides. If people still want to take it some odd way, that's up to them.
Lord Edmund Blackadder II Jan 5 @ 6:48pm 
The OP heads the thread:

"Does GunZ 2 have the same gameplay depth as GunZ 1?"

before detailing his actual question:

"Just wondering to those who played in the beta. One of the greatest things about GunZ is learning the moves which are technically glitches."

You respond: "Guys, he asked if GunZ 2 has the SAME depth as GunZ 1, NOT if GunZ 2 has MORE OR LESS depth than GunZ 1, NOR if it's EASIER OR HARDER. So skip that. Seriously."

And right afterwards:

"It has differences, definitely. Controls and mechanics had a major overhaul, compared to GunZ 1"

That's a clear comparison between the two games, something which you asked others to "skip"

tl;dr: Really no need to be rude, especially when you can follow behind what you ask others to do.
Last edited by Lord Edmund Blackadder II; Jan 5 @ 7:00pm
Showing 1-15 of 53 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50