This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Operation Black Mesa
MR.sugar  [developer] Aug 1, 2013 @ 1:37am
Ask the developers PART 2
Hello everyone,

I decided to start new "Ask the developers" session, due to the first one already grew up way too much. I will make the summary of the most important questions from it.

In the mean time, you can keep asking questions here. Make sure you read the mod description and FaQ available here.[tripminestudios.com]

Questions which are answered in description and FaQ will get deleted without warning!
Showing 1-15 of 354 comments
< >
Captain.Z.Morris Aug 1, 2013 @ 1:52am 
MR.sugar, I have been watching this mod since it was in it's baby stages, or if it still is in its baby stages, either way, I have been watching this mod since it started, like Opposing Force 2 and other mods that have Adrian Shephard. Adrian Shephard is by far my favorite HL2 Character, Some of you may not agree, but I like Adrian more than Barney and Alyx, Anyway, to my questions.

1.If i we're to say, use the Console and type in Impulse 101, What would I get, its confusing since this is taking off a previous game, but using a sequel as the engine. Like would I get all Operation Black Mesa Weapons, O:BM Weapons and HL2 weapons, O:BM Weapons and HL1 weapons, HL1 Weapons and skins.
2.If I were to type Impulse "i forget the number" that spawns a Grunt, would it be Friendly or Enemy like in the original game.
3.Could you give me a idea of what you said in a previous question where the developers and you would add extra dialogue or so to give a backstory or something.
=[Shepard]= Aug 1, 2013 @ 3:21am 
MR.Sugar once your website gets back up and running how much money do you think I should donate to actually make a diffrence and help you guys out. I really want to help in any way I can so please reply!
Last edited by =[Shepard]=; Aug 1, 2013 @ 3:21am
MR.sugar  [developer] Aug 1, 2013 @ 4:33am 
Originally posted by Cpl.A.Shephard:
MR.sugar, I have been watching this mod since it was in it's baby stages, or if it still is in its baby stages, either way, I have been watching this mod since it started, like Opposing Force 2 and other mods that have Adrian Shephard. Adrian Shephard is by far my favorite HL2 Character, Some of you may not agree, but I like Adrian more than Barney and Alyx, Anyway, to my questions.

1.If i we're to say, use the Console and type in Impulse 101, What would I get, its confusing since this is taking off a previous game, but using a sequel as the engine. Like would I get all Operation Black Mesa Weapons, O:BM Weapons and HL2 weapons, O:BM Weapons and HL1 weapons, HL1 Weapons and skins.
2.If I were to type Impulse "i forget the number" that spawns a Grunt, would it be Friendly or Enemy like in the original game.
3.Could you give me a idea of what you said in a previous question where the developers and you would add extra dialogue or so to give a backstory or something.

1) You will get only O:BM weapons, nothing else. HL2 weapons or any other weapons are not going to be included within the O:BM.

2) It will spawn it as an enemy creature, as it's default settings in the code says it's your enemy.

3) For example, in Friendly Fire, where you meet the medic guy. These lines will be slightly enhenced, especially due to some changes to the level design. Some new lines should show up in the beggining and Boot Camp as well. We may tell more on this topic when we are done with scripts revision.

Originally posted by Killkid2:
MR.Sugar once your website gets back up and running how much money do you think I should donate to actually make a diffrence and help you guys out. I really want to help in any way I can so please reply!

Hey, check out the first part of "ask the developers" in the discussion board. It's the very last answer I gave before I locked the topic ;)

Captain.Z.Morris Aug 2, 2013 @ 1:15am 
Thank you for answering my questions and now I will begin another set, HAHHA, Bombarding you with questions must suck, anyways.

1.Will we be able to check what happened to the rest of Shephards squad, Jackson, Tower. While Tower was mentioned in the level where you gotta fight that mini boss centipede creature, you don't find him.
2.How will the Barnacle "gun" work.
3.In Black Mesa Source, the Marines did not use PCV's and they did not have the HECU symbol. Would this be the same, sacrificing a important lore for realism, like the Black Mesa Source team.
Last edited by Captain.Z.Morris; Aug 2, 2013 @ 1:18am
DragonHawkXD (Banned) Aug 3, 2013 @ 11:41am 
How long was the production for this game and Black mesa?
Bob the Engineer Aug 4, 2013 @ 12:24am 
When the multiplayer releases, are you guys going to set up official servers, or will users have to set them up theirselves?
Uphys  [developer] Aug 4, 2013 @ 5:36am 
1.Will we be able to check what happened to the rest of Shephards squad, Jackson, Tower. While Tower was mentioned in the level where you gotta fight that mini boss centipede creature, you don't find him.
2.How will the Barnacle "gun" work.
3.In Black Mesa Source, the Marines did not use PCV's and they did not have the HECU symbol. Would this be the same, sacrificing a important lore for realism, like the Black Mesa Source team.

1. At this point we can't say anything definite. We plan on fleshing out the story line, but the specifics are yet to be discussed.
2. Like the original, but improved (in a way that actually makes sense).
3. A lot of the HECU-related content is expansion-specific, so we will definitely try to include proprietary assets.

Originally posted by DragonHawkXD:
How long was the production for this game and Black mesa?

Black Mesa started in 2004 (to clarify: We are not the Black Mesa modification team and we are not in any way affiliated with them).
We started Operation Black Mesa in 2007.

Originally posted by Bob the Engineer:
When the multiplayer releases, are you guys going to set up official servers, or will users have to set them up theirselves?

We will host a masterserver.
TeaR Of BeAR Aug 4, 2013 @ 10:07am 
can i get?
Captain.Z.Morris Aug 4, 2013 @ 10:43am 
1.In Multiplayer is I were to get all the weapons, would I have Half Life and Opposing Force weapons like a Tau Cannon or just Opposing Force.
2.I knwo you already said this but if I were to type in Impulse 101, Would I get all the Opposing Force weapons and Half Life weapons or just Opposing Force.
3.Would the Marines in Opposing Force be able to work together with the Security guards or would they fight em, confused slightly.
Tabajara Aug 4, 2013 @ 5:14pm 
The question is not about the game but about the website, i have made an account in 29 and after the issues that your website had, i created another one since my account has been lost.

Now the "Email Verification" takes a looong time, i have tried clicking "(Resend Activation Email)" but still no email :/

My account name is : Tabajara 7.7 if someone could help me out. Thanks!!
pacguy19 Aug 4, 2013 @ 8:07pm 
Would we be allowed to use OP:BM for any sort of videomaking on YT?
MR.sugar  [developer] Aug 4, 2013 @ 10:27pm 
1.In Multiplayer is I were to get all the weapons, would I have Half Life and Opposing Force weapons like a Tau Cannon or just Opposing Force.
2.I knwo you already said this but if I were to type in Impulse 101, Would I get all the Opposing Force weapons and Half Life weapons or just Opposing Force.
3.Would the Marines in Opposing Force be able to work together with the Security guards or would they fight em, confused slightly.

1) We also include HL1 weapons, including Tau cannon.

2) Well, some of the weapons may not be implemented to the SP branch (speaking of Gauss gun etc.). We will see about this.

3) HECU marines would mostly fight them, except you and some of your collegues you meet throughout your jorney. As in the original, you will still see other HECU marines dealing with scientists (for example in We are pulling out)

Originally posted by Tabajara 7.7:
The question is not about the game but about the website, i have made an account in 29 and after the issues that your website had, i created another one since my account has been lost.

Now the "Email Verification" takes a looong time, i have tried clicking "(Resend Activation Email)" but still no email :/

My account name is : Tabajara 7.7 if someone could help me out. Thanks!!

Fixed, hope it works for you now. If anyone has this problem, let us know!

Originally posted by SomnolescentProductions:
Would we be allowed to use OP:BM for any sort of videomaking on YT?

There is no way how we could control this, nor we see a reason why to not allow it. So yes, you will be allowed to make YT videos :).
Giant Enemy Crab Aug 5, 2013 @ 12:02am 
Will the M4 Assault Rifle return?
MR.sugar  [developer] Aug 5, 2013 @ 7:55am 
Originally posted by Giant Enemy Crab:
Will the M4 Assault Rifle return?

The model render in our gallery should give you an answer :P
Captain.Z.Morris Aug 5, 2013 @ 9:24am 
Will their be the possibility to see more encounters where Xenians and Race X fight along with Grunts in the mess and black ops, basically a huge battle royale.
Showing 1-15 of 354 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50