This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Shovel Knight
HacksawUnit May 26, 2013 @ 6:21am
True 8-bit?
Sadly, I was not able to fund the Kickstarter or PayPal before the deadline. I want to play this game immensely, so I guess I will wait till it comes to steam.
Anyway, here is my question: How closely does this game follow the limitations of the NES? Do the graphics "snap" to the grid of the screen, or do are the pixels just an aesthetic? Did you build sprite flickering into the game? What about music limitations?
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Gopher_Killer Jun 1, 2013 @ 4:55pm 
As was explained to me at PAX East, the game is a "modified" 8-BIT game, in that it's a more "powerful" 8-BIT. The limitations of the NES are not programmed into the game (to make it look as crisp as possible). I can see some viewing that as a downside, but after playing the demo at PAX, I was in love with how they did things. Trust me, what they're doing is not a bad thing!
HacksawUnit Jun 2, 2013 @ 4:04pm 
Originally posted by Gopher_Killer:
As was explained to me at PAX East, the game is a "modified" 8-BIT game, in that it's a more "powerful" 8-BIT. The limitations of the NES are not programmed into the game (to make it look as crisp as possible). I can see some viewing that as a downside, but after playing the demo at PAX, I was in love with how they did things. Trust me, what they're doing is not a bad thing!

Thanks!
Yacht Club Games  [developer] Jun 3, 2013 @ 11:26am 
Yes on pretty much everything Gopher_Killer has said! This is more of an embellished approach to that style of game. That's why it has 16:9 display, etc
HacksawUnit Jun 3, 2013 @ 3:17pm 
Originally posted by Yacht Club Games:
Yes on pretty much everything Gopher_Killer has said! This is more of an embellished approach to that style of game. That's why it has 16:9 display, etc
Ah. Is there any way I can preorder Shovel Knight? I am swiftly kicking myself in the face for missing the deadline.
Yacht Club Games  [developer] Jun 5, 2013 @ 11:32am 
Originally posted by HacksawUnit:
Originally posted by Yacht Club Games:
Ah. Is there any way I can preorder Shovel Knight? I am swiftly kicking myself in the face for missing the deadline.

Your enthusiasm is appreciated. At the moment there is no way to pre-order Shovel Knight, but we hope to have some news on that front within the next month or so.
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50