This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Stranded Deep
Def Turdle Feb 11, 2013 @ 10:00am
Great concept! I can feel the anguish!
I think you guys can be on to something big and new. Being stranded on an ocean surely is the premice to some good nerve-wrecking moments and horror Jaws-like gameplay.

A few ideas it gives me:

- Have many endings possible: find land, be rescued (either could have different variants)
- Makeshift weapons that degrade over use (give the player some slight figthing chance. After all there cannot be just one shark out there).
- Paddles can could be use to move the raft around and fend-off nasties (again, they would need to break up after some time)
- Fishing (duh)
- Have the player manage his water by collecting rain, filtering sea water (is that even possible?), gathering dew, etc.
- Bleeding would that would accelerate water loss and attract more predators
- Weird stuff starting to happen as the main character's mental state degrades (mirages and such)

That's just from the top of my head, and I'm sure you guys have thought of many more. I hope you can make the best of the many possibilities your concept can offer.

Looking forward to playing this! Cheers!
Last edited by Def Turdle; Feb 14, 2013 @ 8:18pm
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
alex-freyr Feb 14, 2013 @ 7:20pm 
I really agree with those ideas, i hate when people come up with so un-original ideas like the one someone posted that you find an island with all sorts of beasts so you have to craft wepons to defend yourself, but then its a whole another story here. He's not talking about the game anymore his making up a whole another picture thats just too much alike any other games that are already existed, and where would gaming be without any fresh ideas i'm just saying. So umm... yeah great ideas! =P
Last edited by alex-freyr; Feb 20, 2013 @ 2:08pm
Def Turdle Feb 14, 2013 @ 8:18pm 
[H] Everest Feb 17, 2013 @ 4:04pm 
No. No weapons. If this game really fits under the genre "simulation" there shouldn't even be any sharks unless the player is bleeding significantly. This game should be about managing your body tempature, sickness, thirst and hunger, keeping the raft afloat and rationing available food efficiently. Also, it IS possible to filter sea water with solar stills.
Def Turdle Feb 17, 2013 @ 4:59pm 
There is already sharks. They are pretty central to the game shown in the video, so, might as well hit em with a stick, just for the sake of interaction. ^.^

I think the take of the devs is more that of a "survival horror" than "simulation". That leaves more freedom to the devs, and really makes for a more interesting game in my humble opinion. I wouldn't want to simulate the experience of drying up in the middle of the ocean...

Oh and thanks for the solar still answer, that totally makes sense.
Last edited by Def Turdle; Feb 17, 2013 @ 5:01pm
groos Mar 18, 2013 @ 3:00pm 
Regarding the shark(s). I would feel more terror if the shark is able to kill you fairly easily, dragging you under water and such. By giving the player several lives, so to speak, you take away much of my fear of the sharks. By having one, perhaps, two bites and then you're dead would make an even more terrifying experience. Swimming over to grag floating loot, knowing that if you don't time it right you're done for it. Why not have another survivor doing this in the beginning, and then seeing him being torn to pieces would really elevate the survival experience in my opinion. Just my two cents. Keep up the good work!
Xavious the Legend Mar 26, 2013 @ 5:49pm 
This game does seem very interesting. And with the ideas of some of the content above it could become quite a popular game. I think that the ideas are great. Also, with what groos said, the sharks should simulate an attack of some sort, not just two bites and then death. Maybe you could even put some dolphins in the game that would fight off the sharks? Dolphins are know to protect humans against shark attacks.
Tokio Prince Apr 17, 2013 @ 9:59pm 
If this game were to actually sim any life like event then yes sharks would be there sooner or later. Attacking? Probally not since you'd be in the raft, but they ARE attracted to floating objects. They sense the electric signals that pulse from human forms, so there's that too. Having a weapon would be a little much but it would be more interactive to have a oar to steer. Hitting a shark with it is more realistic but it'd just be a deterrent and not actually kill it. Collecting water from rain is actually something you could do in a real life situation like this. Solar stills are usually built into a raft with a roof but those are the more modern rafts. Finding a actual island doesn't have to mean the end of the game or even that you wouldn't go back into the water. Not ALL islands are able to support a person to survive even for a day. IF you could steer the raft then maybe you could navigate via the stars? I know a normal person wouldn't know such a thing but maybe there could be background skills for the main char so you could check a mental map or something. Finding other people's bodies (maybe from a plane or boat accident) would be realistic. Catching fish would be cool but just too generic or boring. If you were to catch fish, maybe you have to cut and clean them for like a mini activity? Collecting floating containers (briefcases, empty bottles from wine from the accident, etc) then having some kind of option to modify the raft and put so many containers in so much alloted space increasing your inventory. Even thou in real life you could just tie the extra containers to the raft and let them float next to the raft. But since we're going to have to be constricted to this being a this gen game and not a future gen game, we'll have to settle for that.
Khorne Berserker Apr 28, 2013 @ 9:52am 
Dragging the player underwater is a "must have" that will significantly increase the horror aspect of the game: Not just biting the player and reducing his health but grabbing him and dragging him underwater with some sort of maybe a quick time event (aka player needs to press space bar as fast as he can to kick the shark off of his legs, for example).

Add bleeding as well, with so many first aid kits seen in the video already you could make the sharks inmediatly attack the player as soon as he jumps out of the boat if he is bleeding, with the only way of fixing the bleeding being the consumption of a first aid kit, or bandages, or stuff like that.
Khorne Berserker Apr 28, 2013 @ 9:59am 
Another survival aspect I forgot to mention was "skin burns". I believe you can easily add that as well since protection from the sun seems rather obvious unless the character is already dressed with jacket or something.

You could easily implement this by finding a "floating corpse" on the sea with some useful clothing on him and have the player swim to it to grab the clothing just like all the other objects seen in the video.

Or better yet, you can have the shark drag the corpse underwater but leaving a piece of useful clothing on the surface. Giving the player time to jump out and grab it.

There is potential for many survival events in this game....
Ceiling Fan May 1, 2013 @ 11:21pm 
So...What about a gamemode with a tiger in the boat with you? :D
Def Turdle May 2, 2013 @ 5:16am 
Oh that has to be an unlockable! :D
=TCC= DO$H May 7, 2013 @ 3:56am 
You should be able to find shipwrecks in the sea and be able to explore the old destroyed ships for supplies and stuff, and you can also find arms, legs etc... from other survivors and throw them to distract the sharks. You can even search the dead corpses of other survivors for clothes, food and other good stuff. There should even be hidden caves for you to explore and find treasure in them. And not to forget there shouldnt be only sharks, there can be other predators of the sea.
TalonMadC May 11, 2013 @ 2:37pm 
you should have funny mirages were sharks and fish try to talk to you
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Per page: 15 30 50