This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Block Story
sturmkoenig2k Feb 5, 2013 @ 4:29am
To clone or not to clone
Is Block Story a Minecraft clone? Yes, it is. Is this a bad thing? No, it is not.

Imagine no one cloned Doom, improved the gameplay added new things here and there, you would still play Doom and not Hl2, COD or any other modern FPS..
If no one takes Minecraft as an source of inspiration, add things, improve things, you would only be able to play Minecraft. Boring....

A completly other story is the use of textures and sounds from other games. I do not know Minecraft well, so i can't say if Block Story use something from it.
Showing 1-15 of 61 comments
< >
Reaper.NightWhisper Feb 5, 2013 @ 6:21am 
It is not a clone. it is the same genre of block games. that is it. nothing more. Other games do not "Clone" Doom unless they directly multiple characters and storyline points from it.

I know you try agree with me, i just don't like your use of "Clone"

clone [klohn] Show IPA noun, verb, cloned, clon·ing.
to produce a copy or imitation of.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Clone?s=t

It is hardly a "copy" of minecraft because there are blocks. the mere fact that the animals arn't blocks alone tells me it isn't a clone, minecraft seems to have sworn everything will be block shaped. I personally get sick of square chickens, reminds me of lego's.
mindblocks  [developer] Feb 5, 2013 @ 7:05am 
We have taken inspiration in minecraft, as you can see here:
http://www.blockstory.net/node/2651

However it would be a huge stretch to call this a clone. Here are some of the features we have that minecraft doesn't:

* Our game is an RPG
* Quests
* Leveling up
* Skill points (improve flying, running and swimming speed for example)
* You can cast spells on monsters
* You have mana, which you can use for flying or casting spells.
* You can make shields and equip then in the left hand
* We have infinite up and down
* We have a ground breaking color system (http://www.blockstory.net/node/3276)
* We have between 10 and 20 times higher frame rate than minecraft. I get 700-1000 fps in my computer. This does not matter on fast computers, but it is great for the ones with built in video cards.
* We have 88 non blocky monsters. From lizards to dragons, from clown fish to Megalodons
* We have full compatibility between mobile and desktop, so you can move your worlds between your phone and your laptop.
* We have floating islands
* We have Hell, you can get there by digging deep. Closest is the Nether
* We have the Forgotten sky, another world up in the sky
* We have Torches you can carry and light your way inside caves
* We have guns
* We have cars
* We have flippers to swim faster
* We have gear necklaces and rings to enhance the player powers.
* Radar
* Teleporters between beds
* Teleporters between worlds
* Full compatibility between desktop and mobile
* 60% cheaper. It justs costs $10

There are also a lot of features that minecraft has that we have purposely avoided. In fact we reject ideas daily for the simple reason that they are implemented in Minecraft.

The only features we share with minecraft are: Voxel terrain, which minecraft copied from infiniminer, and which we have greatly improved with colored lights and infinite up and down, and crafting, which we added due to massive popular demand. Everything else, as you see in the video is quite different.

As it is, all games with voxel terrain are being called a Minecraft clone. Look at blockscape, they have even less in common with Minecraft. Heck, even if you look at infiniminer videos (the game that inspired minecraft), all the comments are about minecraft, and some of them even call it a Minecraft Clone.

sturmkoenig2k Feb 5, 2013 @ 10:09am 
Ugh, English is not my first language. :) Sorry. Clone may be the wrong word, could'nt describe it otherwise.
Also my post was not directed against Block Story. I KNOW that Block Story have different features than Minecraft. I bought Block Story because it IS different than Minecraft.
The Sightless Scopesman Feb 5, 2013 @ 10:18am 
I wouldn't go as far as to call it a clone. The people who are just blatently calling Block Story a minecraft clone are just being stupid. However, Block Story doesn't look as if a full effort has been applied. I suggest the author uses different textures for the blocks, a lot of them look like they were taken from HD texture packs. And in some of the screenshots, the world generation looks very similar. However, in other screenshots, the generation is clearly very different. The concept is a good concept, and if the author were to make textures that don't look like they were taken from a minecraft HD texture pack, I would think there would be a lot less people blatently calling this a minecraft clone. I can only hope that the author takes me seriously and follows my advice, I'm only trying to help him.
URSA ARCADIUS Feb 5, 2013 @ 2:48pm 
The OP posits that BlockStory has changed enough of the genre to differentiate it from MineCraft. It has not. Not from the video footage shown here, anyways.

Originally posted by NightWhisper:
It is hardly a "copy" of minecraft because there are blocks. the mere fact that the animals arn't blocks alone tells me it isn't a clone, minecraft seems to have sworn everything will be block shaped. I personally get sick of square chickens, reminds me of lego's.

How can you point to the one of the only two things that are different as proof that it's not a copy (the other being a quest system)?

Voxel-based terrain, crafting windows (coming in both 2x2 and 3x3 flavours), a selection of the same sounds that were used in MineCraft, creation as a game play element, not to mention the game play as a whole is functionally similar to minecraft... It's debatable if the OP has even played MineCraft.

Now, the Voxel-based game might be tolerable if it was changed so that it wasn't just a carbon copy of "Minecraft + a few mods". For example, if crafting was more in depth like in traditional games (such as crafting a sword: requiring you to harvest ore, get leather, and get a mold. This would require: Smelting the ore into ingots to remove impurities. Then smelting it again to pour it into a mold. Then cooling it. Then hammering a sword blade to change the crystal structure of the metal (which alone could be an interesting mini-game). Then cooling it.), then you'd at least have a unique system that would entice people into the game who love nothing more than to craft things.

Also, new sounds. I'm not even going to explain this one.
sturmkoenig2k Feb 5, 2013 @ 9:55pm 
Originally posted by URSO ARCADIUS:
It's debatable if the OP has even played MineCraft.

I own and played MC since Alpha. I stopped playing it at the end of 2011, because i got bored.
Block Story have enough interesting features to revived my interest in playing a block building game.

Why does something needs to be changed when it works for the people, like the crafting windows? Sure, he can change the process of crafting, but why? It's not a blacksmith simualtion or something like that.

The hate against Block Story still baffles me. There is enough room for games like this.
Last edited by sturmkoenig2k; Feb 5, 2013 @ 10:12pm
The Sightless Scopesman Feb 6, 2013 @ 4:48am 
Originally posted by URSO ARCADIUS:
The OP posits that BlockStory has changed enough of the genre to differentiate it from MineCraft. It has not. Not from the video footage shown here, anyways.

Originally posted by NightWhisper:

How can you point to the one of the only two things that are different as proof that it's not a copy (the other being a quest system)?

Voxel-based terrain, crafting windows (coming in both 2x2 and 3x3 flavours), a selection of the same sounds that were used in MineCraft, creation as a game play element, not to mention the game play as a whole is functionally similar to minecraft... It's debatable if the OP has even played MineCraft.

Now, the Voxel-based game might be tolerable if it was changed so that it wasn't just a carbon copy of "Minecraft + a few mods". For example, if crafting was more in depth like in traditional games (such as crafting a sword: requiring you to harvest ore, get leather, and get a mold. This would require: Smelting the ore into ingots to remove impurities. Then smelting it again to pour it into a mold. Then cooling it. Then hammering a sword blade to change the crystal structure of the metal (which alone could be an interesting mini-game). Then cooling it.), then you'd at least have a unique system that would entice people into the game who love nothing more than to craft things.

Also, new sounds. I'm not even going to explain this one.
I never said the game didn't copy some things from Minecraft. That's far from what I said. I just said because of what is different I wouldn't go as far as to call it minecraft based on what I know of it.
No-Neck Feb 6, 2013 @ 6:34am 
Oh come on, Minecraft CLONED Infiniminer (as Notch said when he announced it in the first place) and added a few extra things. Sure, it changed into something more distinct over the years but only because it was profitable enough.

It's called progress and it's not really too different to how we've evolved from basically nothing over the last few billion years. Only the best, slightly modified, clones will be successful enough to prompt further cloning of their new features.

To be honest, I think a more fitting term would be "offspring".;)
Last edited by No-Neck; Feb 6, 2013 @ 6:37am
The Sightless Scopesman Feb 6, 2013 @ 6:39am 
Originally posted by No-Neck:
Oh come on, Minecraft CLONED Infiniminer (as Notch said when he announced it in the first place) and added a few extra things. Sure, it changed into something more distinct over the years but only because it was profitable enough.

It's called progress and it's not really too different to how we've evolved from basically nothing over the last few billion years. Only the best, slightly modified, clones will be successful enough to prompt further cloning of their new features.

To be honest, I think a more fitting term would be "offspring".;)
Which is exactly why I am not calling block story a copy of minecraft.
No-Neck Feb 6, 2013 @ 8:04am 
Originally posted by ABlindSniper115:
Sorry man, I wasn't really aiming anything at you. I happen to agree with you.

I was just trying to point out that copying and adapting ideas has driven much of the progress on this planet, in nature, in science, in everything.
The Sightless Scopesman Feb 6, 2013 @ 8:35am 
Originally posted by No-Neck:
Originally posted by ABlindSniper115:
Sorry man, I wasn't really aiming anything at you. I happen to agree with you.

I was just trying to point out that copying and adapting ideas has driven much of the progress on this planet, in nature, in science, in everything.
I was agreeing with you. But yeah, it did sound kind of like I thought you disagreed... But yeah, I think you have to imitate something before you can make it original. Who knows, maybe this game will become popular after a few updates that make it a bit more original.
Master Zone Feb 6, 2013 @ 7:18pm 
There is a difference between using a game as inspiration and 100% copying the game... O_o

It is a good thing when games used games like DOOM as their inspiration to make their own game, but it is not a good thing to 100% copy a game.
I can play DOOM and then play Duke Nuken 3D, they are both obviously first person shooters, but they do not look or feel like the same game.

Minecraft used infiniminer as it's inspiration, it did not 100% copy the game.
Ace of Spades, BlockScape and StarForge use Minecraft as their inspiration without 100% copying Minecraft. This game however, it's a clone.
Last edited by Master Zone; Feb 6, 2013 @ 7:21pm
Malbrocksamsonsadlynotskynet Feb 7, 2013 @ 12:05pm 
Originally posted by Master Zone:
There is a difference between using a game as inspiration and 100% copying the game... O_o

It is a good thing when games used games like DOOM as their inspiration to make their own game, but it is not a good thing to 100% copy a game.
I can play DOOM and then play Duke Nuken 3D, they are both obviously first person shooters, but they do not look or feel like the same game.

Minecraft used infiniminer as it's inspiration, it did not 100% copy the game.
Ace of Spades, BlockScape and StarForge use Minecraft as their inspiration without 100% copying Minecraft. This game however, it's a clone.

It has features that MC doesnt have though,such as guns and quests,plus,the dev said that its an RPG.
Leman Russ Feb 8, 2013 @ 1:08pm 
My opinion is that the minecraft graphics looks better with blocks, i watched the videos and i think there's not enough sounds (like music) for the moment, it's small videos and the game isn't about to be released in final version soon i know. I also found strange that you hear your torch permanently, it is a bit annoying because you hear nothing else. i saw REAL clones of minecraft and i can say this game isn't one!

Oh and Doom > COD
Butcher Feb 10, 2013 @ 2:20am 
I think, graphic in Minecraft better. I really dont know why, but when I look at screens I dislike BS(I mean Block Story). +I dont see real survival here. Monster spawn only near spawner.
Showing 1-15 of 61 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50