Help dit spel op Steam te krijgen!

Kijk eens rond en kom wat over dit spel te weten. Als dit iets is wat je graag op Steam zou willen zien, kun je helpen door de waardering ervan te verhogen via de knoppen hieronder. Klik hier om meer over dit proces te leren.

Darkened Light
Chillin' 19 feb 2013 om 11:54vm
Some Recommendations if you're interested.
Recommendations:

Firstly, For the sake of showcasing I would add a bit more screenshots of the current game, maybe some different levels and maybe 1 boss reveal screen (other than the video), just so people see the current state. Always wise to update your greenlight page whenever you hit a new mark so that people will have something to keep up with.

On to the recommendations I have:

- Recommend adding some transparency/lower opacity of the "slash" effect of your attacks, or any attack that has this sort of attack effect. Or you can gradate it, from solid nearest the blade to transparent at the end of the slashmark(s).

- Your falling objects/moving blocks - as in the blocks that rise and fall and you die if they crush you. Well...that's how it should be anyway. Right now these kill you if you just touch them, whether or not its the side or the top. I would make it so that they only kill you if you are under them when they fall, or if you try to jump over it and land on top of it, it can crush you into the ceiling if you dont run off in time. If you do this right it can even add some platform elements to the game similar to like, some areas in the old Sonic The Hedgehog games, for example, this video at 0:37:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrVIV5l-UW8
37 Seconds in there is a platform part where there are blocks that can crush you like the ones in your game, only they will only kill you if you are in fact crushed by them, rather than just touching them anywhere. As such, they are used in such a way as in the video, to add another platform element to the game.

- Moving platforms should match their surroundings. Grassy ones in the open areas, cement/brick or whatever ones in the indoor areas, and so on. I also recommend adding an effect to the platforms, like make the outside floating ones have a small glow to make it feel like they are being kept afloat by magic. Indoor ones, maybe put a track/conveyor belt behind them with turning cogs at each corner/end to look like they are attached to a rotating track. Very minor aesthetic additions that would exponentially increase interest and immersion. Cog would be like a 4 drawing rotating sprite sheet probably while the tracks can literally just be lines (like in Super Mario World), running from cog to cog, or whatever - cogs go wherever the platform changes direction. For an example of what I mean about the track and how they should wrap around the cogs, check out this video at 1:00:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SJGp5iLc64
1 minute in, Sonic is standing on a conveyor belt with round cogs on each end. You can do something VERY similar to this (except obviously no collision on the belt, just the platform) and then have the platform moving back and forth in front of it, from cog to cog, and it will look like the platform is on a track. Wouldn't work for outdoor ones (which is why I recommended the glow effect/magic), but for indoor ones it would be awesome.

- Some attacks/animations might benefit from a few more in-between sprites to smooth out their transitions, as well as added effects to accentuate the impact of the attacks. For example - the Zombie boss in your video that shoots the giant lazer. I suggest you add a "charge" animation that looks like glowy orbs around his mouth getting bigger just before the giant lazer blasts out (like in Megaman X while charging his blaster) - then if that lazer hits something, make it sort of explode and create burn marks on whatever it hits, especially if it hits the player. Again just some small aesthetic additions - an explosion and charging attack for that zombie boss would take two small, 3-5 drawing sprite sheets (one for each effect). The burn marks could just be a tiled texture that is blackish that replaces or sits on top of whatever tiles are hit by the lazer (or whatever other attacks would make this effect). It would be the same for other enemies and their attacks. Also, for the lazer, I recommend adding maybe 3 more in betweens at the start of it, just to make it feel more like a powerful attack that starts off slow/smooth and suddenly blasts outwards, rather than just materializing in front of his face. Stuff like that. =D

- The tiled textures that you use for a lot of the midground elements (like the dirt in the first level) would REALLY benefit from some variance. It wouldn't be hard if you add some things to the center of your tiles without touching the edges, so that they will still tile. Like rocks in the dirt of your first level, or broken/dilapidated bricks in your interior areas, and so on (so you'll have like 3 or 4 variants of each theme, bricks/dirt/stone or whatever, all tileable - instead of just one like you have now). You can even create sprites just for the sake of decour, like boulders that you can stick into random areas of your dirt on the first level to make it look like actual earth (make sure the edges are shadowed and mid is highlighted to make it seem like it pops), and maybe even some vines/roots/weeds. More types of trees, and make them BIGGER. This would REALLY improve your level design by making it less bland/simple. Simple is good, but not bland. Also, if you add massive trees, you can use their branches for more platform elements, like the first level in Boogerman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHK2EGhTm_Q
(Starts at 0.26)

- Weapons/powerups. These things should be in this game, every game like this has them. Metroid has powerups, Megaman has powerups and hidden suits (namely Megaman X), Castlevania has knives/crosses/etc. and whip upgrades, etc. This game would benefit from something like that, especially if they are hidden (and hidden WELL) behind stuff like breakable walls (Chicken in Castlevania anyone?), and add strategic elements to the game. The ground ranged attack that you can do should require some sort of magic or something, rather than a small cooldown making it almost spammable. If you add weapon powerups the only aesthetic change you need to make is the attack effect you already have - change it from the white slashmark to a red fiery one if you have a Fire Sword, for example. Make one of them shoot a small wave in front of you to offer a small amount of range to your attacks (maybe only at full HP like in Zelda with the Master Sword or something). These things, especially if optional, would appeal to just about everyone, especially completionists.

- To piggyback on my last one about Powerups, this game should also have points of some kind for picking up things, like hearts that refill HP can give points instead if your HP is full already, killing enemies could give points relative to the enemie(s)' difficulty, and so on. Maybe you can spend the points (or hidden items) after each level to upgrade your weapon or make a new one. Have these hearts or other various point-givers pop out of breakable stuff like the torches in Castlevania. Maybe also have enemies pop out of some of them, just to add a small jump scare. These things add sizzle to your steak, so to speak, which is what really sells (think when you watch a waiter walk by with a nice, sizzly steak - it's the sizzle, the steam, the smell, etc. that makes you want that grub, not so much the way it looks sitting on the plate). People LOVE points, especially if there is a leaderboard involved. If it doesn't take from your game, and doesn't take too many resources AND attracts people, it should be there - that sort of thing is a devs dream (low amount of work/resources that exponentially increases interest and potential sales).

- Enemy variance, not just in aesthetics (though I do recommend at least one palette swap of some of your enemies, maybe toss a pack or hood or belt on those swaps just to make them seem less like palette swaps) but in attacks and such as well. I like some of your enemies, like the skeletons. I recommend adding one with a bow, amongst other enemies with ranged attacks. Enemies with shields that require you to wait until they attack before they are vulnerable. Things like that. One thing you should avoid is making bosses that are just upsized versions of your enemies (like the Zombie boss). Variance is awesome - not TOO much mind you (too much work and people would get lost anyway), but enough to make the experience feel "fresh" throughout the game. You don't want people getting bored because the big goblin or whatever on your 7th level is no different than the small skeleton on your 1st level, it just looks different (for the sake of making a point, not saying these are the enemies you have in game). =)

- If you add weapons, especially if they have elemental effects like a Fire Sword, you have options on how to go about it. I recommend, since you are advertising this to have Zelda elements, an inventory/equip system, and then making certain "Puzzles" that require a certain weapon or attack or whatever (Fire melts Ice, etc.). This could also go for boss strategies - maybe you can't actually kill a boss until you have the right item/weapon, which should be implied somehow before the boss, with a note left by a prior adventurer or something so the player doesnt wander into the boss and is forced to die. But like I said, imply it, don't blatantly tell them what they need. Make them feel they need something, and leave common sense up to the player - they'll know they need fire for the boss if the level is all foresty and they needed fire before to pass a certain part, for example.

- Speaking of Zelda elements - it does need more. More puzzles mainly (can be simple, like lighting torches in a certain order and so on which might need a fire weapon), and rooms with keys, stuff like that. To make a quick example - maybe an area with a drawbridge you can't cross until you find the lever. Or maybe the bridge is like a huge, long vine/plant enemy attached to the wall across a chasm that, when killed, falls and creates the bridge - but it can only be killed with a range weapon, but maybe fire weapons turn it to ash and you're forced to find another path if you do that (or the enemy respawns in 10-20 seconds until you kill it the right way). Maybe a flooded room you can't enter until you raise floodgates to release the water. Etc. There are literally endless, easy to come up with on the fly things you can do to add these puzzle elements. People would call this game the next Zelda 2 (only WAY better)! =)

I'm sure I could come up with more but I don't want to toss out a bunch of unrealistically difficult additions. All of the above stuff would be fairly easy to add I think, other than maybe the puzzle elements, unless you have a good scripter (I hate scripting, I'm more of the aesthetic artist rather than a code one). Might add a couple months to your release date but it's worth it if the game comes out much more appealing I think. And it would make what you are advertising this game as (a Castlevania & Zelda child) a bit more believable.
Laatst bewerkt door Chillin'; 21 feb 2013 om 9:44vm
1-3 van 3 reacties weergegeven
< >
Chillin' 2 mrt 2013 om 4:10nm 
Another suggestion:

-Foreground elements. If you know how to work with parallaxing, scrolling games should ALWAYS have a midground (the one your character runs on), a background that moves slower than the midground (mountains, cityscape, whatever your level is) and a foreground that flies by faster than everything else. You can even go further by creating a second background behind the first one that moves even slower - check out the game "MARK OF THE NINJA", it does this very well. For your first level it would be as easy as maybe having 2 or 3 different types of trees that you can either have higher resolution than the other stuff so they stay sharper (don't take one you already have and make it big), or add a blur effect to make them look out of focus, and have them move at like 2 or 3X the speed of the midground depending on where and how fast your character moves. This gives the impression of a 3D world despite 2D graphics by adding depth. You have it somewhat, I saw in your video a level with some windows and behind the midground was a background with snowy mountains - that's a good start. I would keep the snowy mountain one, and then create another one that maybe a treeline at the bottom of those mountains, and make it slightly longer in width than your background image, and have it move very slowly to the left if your guy is running right, or visca versa. Trust me this will make a HUGE difference in how your levels look. Parallaxing is one of the easier, but best aesthetics you can have in a scroller.
Laatst bewerkt door Chillin'; 2 mrt 2013 om 4:17nm
Spam Johnson 5 nov 2013 om 2:29nm 
I love all of these games guys thanks
DALLAS 30 aug om 6:50vm 
Ага , очень круто)
1-3 van 3 reacties weergegeven
< >
Per pagina: 15 30 50