This software is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this software selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

GraphicEditor openCanvas
TapSkill Feb 1, 2013 @ 2:27am
Will oC allow coop?
oC had a cooperative drawing feature, something that let you draw with friends on a network. I would love to have that again. Is there any chance of such a feature coming back?
Showing 1-15 of 37 comments
< >
DrSulfurious Feb 2, 2013 @ 7:46pm 
Would be fun, but with things like flockdraw for generally messing around, I can't see the point. No one would professionally want to work on a piece with someone else on the same canvas, especially if the program costs 50-100 dollars, which it will most likely end up being.

It just doesn't seem like a feature people want or need, and I'm assuming they already have enough problems as it is with programming it and all.

Of course, more features as long as they are optional are always welcome, I just think it's unlikely and unneeded.
portalgraphics  [developer] Feb 4, 2013 @ 8:36pm 
Thank you all for messages.

Indeed, the earlier version of openCanvas (10 years ago) had provided the online network function that enabled to share layers with other users.
We remember that this function was highly appreciated by many users.
However, we ended the network function due to the increase of traffic and the change in demand.

Back then, there were no major SNS or similar services, therefore we might have released the online network function a bit too early.
Now, the online business focuses on the connection/communication among people.
We have received several requests from our users to revive the network function.
On the other hand, however, many users have also requested to brush up the paint tool functions rather than the communication functions in the past 10 years.

We are well aware of that we could continue developing openCanvas by users' support.
Thus, there is a possibility that the network function may be revived along the future development, somehow.

Either way, we will listen to every user's comment sincerely and keep developing openCanvas to be better software.
All your comments are very helpful and encourage us for the development.
Thank you again for your support!!
DrSulfurious Feb 5, 2013 @ 7:13pm 
Thanks for replying, glad to see someone interacting with their steam community for a change.
TapSkill Feb 6, 2013 @ 12:06am 
Originally posted by DrSulfurious:
Thanks for replying, glad to see someone interacting with their steam community for a change.
It's actually nothing new. Lots of devs communicate very well with their customers (not all of them, mind you). However, portalgraphics made a nice reply.
I'm Not Sue Feb 26, 2013 @ 5:33pm 
This is the feature I would like to see most of all. Co-op drawing within a robust art program would be great. Stuff like flockdraw can be very limited.
XS.Levachov Mar 3, 2013 @ 8:57pm 
The greatest advantage of Open Canvas when network drawing was enabled was undoubtely the drawing tablet support. No other collaborative drawing tool offers this. And in my opinion, one of the best! It was used by me to learn how to draw with some friends.

Using it as a collaborative virtual cart class with tablet and pressure support, makes it a unique and awesome tool!
Fontes Mar 4, 2013 @ 1:01pm 
They could set up a server to act as a lobby where we could pick up whichever room we wanted. Once inside a room, Portal Graphics' server would no longer be in use. Of course, those with lower connections would suffer, but with this all it would take for PG would be a small server machine placed in the corner of their office, since it would simply list the rooms available.

Imagine this being used in Livestreams, with co-hosts being able to draw on the same canvas as the host. Would be neat!
TapSkill Mar 4, 2013 @ 6:38pm 
A lobby is not required at all. It would just complicate the process. Instead, just have a connection options menu where we can have one user start a "oC server" and other users connect to it. Think Terraria but for artists.
Fontes Mar 5, 2013 @ 4:04pm 
True, it could suffice. But that requires knowing of anyone who's setting up a room, or set one up yourself and "manually" inviting people in.

I'm not saying it couldn't get the job done, but also having a lobby of sorts could be nice for those who just want to jump in and draw with someone. Yes, it CAN lead to trolling, and the like. But if you can't stand the heat, stay in private rooms. That's the beauty of having options.

But yes, I do agree that if they wanna bring networking back, going the Minecraft way is a nice way to start.
TwiinPiines Mar 5, 2013 @ 9:37pm 
I would love nothing more than to see Networking come back to OpenCanvas. To this very day I still use the original program simply because I know too many artists outside of my city, and in an age where collaboration has become necessary, it's become a rare item for my studies.

Regardless, I;m surprised this program isn't on steam already...
TapSkill Mar 6, 2013 @ 12:41pm 
Originally posted by Fontes:
True, it could suffice. But that requires knowing of anyone who's setting up a room, or set one up yourself and "manually" inviting people in.
Running a server does not have to be a difficult process, and a lobby would not be necessary to get networking features. I agree that it would be a welcome feature, but I would want the basic networking features first. Tools first, gamification later.
Acceleron Mar 9, 2013 @ 10:31am 
I would love to see the co-op functions return in a future release.
neff May 14, 2013 @ 4:02am 
The co-op function would be the only reason i would buy this software - instantly. Because there are already enough other painting apps out there. Really, bring that back and all the Illustrators would jump at you.
X2 Jun 26, 2013 @ 11:40pm 
It just needs to be peer-to-peer via direct IP connection. Don't need any online servers. If the traffic load of information is too high (presumably due to many new tools being added) then there could be the option to have a basic version to work with online connections.
Crysisof2day Jun 27, 2013 @ 3:56pm 
i am curious about this
Showing 1-15 of 37 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50