This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Hammerwatch
Soga Jun 13, 2013 @ 4:55pm
Warlock balance
So what do you think of the Warlock?

I think he's a bit easy to play. He starts with so much health, and considering how you can just kite enemies around while waiting for your mana to regenerate, the fact that he only starts with enough for three lightnings doesn't mean much.

Don't get me wrong, I really like him. I like the poison dagger thing, that's an interesting (and risky) way to take care of enemies while you wait for your mana to regenerate. I like to hit a bunch of enemies once just to get the poison working on a few of them at the same time.

But the lightning is really broken, in my opinion. It's too easy to aim and kill things with. Even if you fail to hit something, just as long as the lightning orb comes within a fair distance of an enemy, it's a hit. There's no real skill in using it, if you ask me. Most enemies die in one or two lightnings, so even if they're not dead by the time you unleash your initial volley, you have either the poison dagger to finish them off (this is the hard method) or you can just dance around them until you have enough mana to finish the job (the easy method).

For this reason, I notice that many Warlock players will have a lot of downtime as they're just waiting for their mana to come back. The game isn't as frantic or fast-paced for them as it is for Paladin, Ranger, and Wizard players. Those 3 are built for constantly confronting enemies, even if they're out of mana. The Warlock can, at best, stab a few guys with the dagger, but then he has to run away while the poison does its work.

I would suggest nerfing or replacing the lightning skill and doing something about his poison dagger to make it a more primary method of fighting. Perhaps give it the ability to spread to nearby enemies (possibly with reduced damage).
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Mogar Jun 13, 2013 @ 7:36pm 
I do agree with you that it does seem like im just baring my time until my mana comes back and its definitely not rewarding to use your dagger. I will say that his lightning ability is very powerful you can take out entire hordes if you shoot right. I would recommend reducing the power and mana cost of his lightning ability to make it his primary cast. This way when you don't have mana it will allow you to get back in the game faster, reducing your wait time. It would allow him to stay in the thick of things more and you could reduce his hit points to a more reasonable level, however, this would make his dagger useless.. The obvious thing though is that he needs to play differently than the mage. Reducing his lightning to a reasonable level really mirrors the mage's fireball so the only thing you would be choosing is lightning over fire. It's a real balancing game. i would say reduce the mana cost so he can use his ability more frequently but still run out if he doesn't throttle it, so less waits between casts but reduced damage. and lower his health :p
Soga Jun 17, 2013 @ 2:50pm 
So I played a level with the Warlock which basically threw lots of bat spawners at you. Once I got the Sacrifice skill (gain mana for killing enemies), it just became sickeningly easy. Not only did I have 100 HP to begin with, I could also just pop life steal nova and instantly kill a billion bats and replenish my health and mana. So I just ran around casting lightning on the bat spawners pretty much without stopping to rest for mana.

I love this game, but the Warlock just... is way too broken.
Last edited by Soga; Jun 17, 2013 @ 2:55pm
PP | Psieonic Aug 14, 2013 @ 9:24am 
Soga, I don't think that's a fair method of judging the warlock. Bats are one of the weakest enemies in the game and the lightning orb is exactly the best kind of spell for killing them with. The story changes when you're fighting large groups of meatier enemies. You'll go through 2 or 3 orbs and be out of mana with half the group still on your tail while you play the kite and wait on mana game.

The kite and mana game is the issue with warlock, not the power of his spell. The warlock is good at getting combos off many weak enemies or being the heavy hitter in a multiplayer coop game. But between volleys he's left with his dagger and running around poisoning enemies.

If I was to make a change to the Warlock, it would probably be the following:

- Change his melee to an arc swing like the Paladin's to poison multiple enemies.
- Reduce the range of his lightning spell substantially and increase the mana cost slightly. Leave the damage as is.

This encourages the player to instead focus on getting his poison on as many enemies as possible and using his spell to finish them, or using his whole mana pool to nuke a couple of bigger enemies.

This firmly places the Warlock in the role of applying damage over time with some AoE to many enemies and staying in close to the fight whereas the Wizard has a tendency to want to focus fire a particular groups of enemies or beat down bigger ones.
Last edited by PP | Psieonic; Aug 14, 2013 @ 9:25am
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50