This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Hammerwatch
Soga Jun 13, 2013 @ 4:55pm
Warlock balance
So what do you think of the Warlock?

I think he's a bit easy to play. He starts with so much health, and considering how you can just kite enemies around while waiting for your mana to regenerate, the fact that he only starts with enough for three lightnings doesn't mean much.

Don't get me wrong, I really like him. I like the poison dagger thing, that's an interesting (and risky) way to take care of enemies while you wait for your mana to regenerate. I like to hit a bunch of enemies once just to get the poison working on a few of them at the same time.

But the lightning is really broken, in my opinion. It's too easy to aim and kill things with. Even if you fail to hit something, just as long as the lightning orb comes within a fair distance of an enemy, it's a hit. There's no real skill in using it, if you ask me. Most enemies die in one or two lightnings, so even if they're not dead by the time you unleash your initial volley, you have either the poison dagger to finish them off (this is the hard method) or you can just dance around them until you have enough mana to finish the job (the easy method).

For this reason, I notice that many Warlock players will have a lot of downtime as they're just waiting for their mana to come back. The game isn't as frantic or fast-paced for them as it is for Paladin, Ranger, and Wizard players. Those 3 are built for constantly confronting enemies, even if they're out of mana. The Warlock can, at best, stab a few guys with the dagger, but then he has to run away while the poison does its work.

I would suggest nerfing or replacing the lightning skill and doing something about his poison dagger to make it a more primary method of fighting. Perhaps give it the ability to spread to nearby enemies (possibly with reduced damage).