This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Hammerwatch
Passerine Jun 5, 2013 @ 3:03pm
Ground flickering and crashes when I try to change graphics options.
Subject says it all. My drivers are all up to date and the game worked perfectly fine last update. Now whenever I start the game, it lags for about 5 seconds then it gets back to normal. But the ground in the background is just flickering to black and back to normal. I've tried messing with the config.xml to change my settings there, but to no avail. The flickering haunts my dreams...

I recorded the game from launch to crash here: http://youtu.be/3Lf9jJffsd0
Last edited by Passerine; Jun 5, 2013 @ 3:12pm
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
rskoraji Jun 5, 2013 @ 3:23pm 
Does 1.03 still run fine for you?
DL link:http://www.hammerwatch.com/builds/hammerwatch_beta_1.03.zip
Last edited by rskoraji; Jun 5, 2013 @ 3:24pm
Passerine Jun 5, 2013 @ 3:24pm 
Yes
rskoraji Jun 5, 2013 @ 3:29pm 
Also, if it created an error.txt folder, I'm sure the developers would appreciate it if you e-mail it to them or posted it here. E-mail to error@hammerwatch.com

Try this.(I tried this myself and it changed the settings, so it should work)
Goto Hammerwatch 1.04 , and look for the Config file, it should by an xML document.
Right click it and hit "Open with" and open it with notepad.
(Replace this area of your file, it should look similar.)
This will change your graphics settings and you may be able to play. Or it may mess it up worse, let's find out ;p
Just look for where it says this, and replace this from </game> to </Vsync>
Note: the numbers in brackets [], indicate how many spaces are suppose to be there. The comments don't let me add spaces before a sentence.So when you see [2] add 2 spaces, and [4] add 4 spaces. and ofc, hit file>save at the end, it shouldn't change the file format so it should still work and change your graphics settings

[2]</Game>
[2]<Graphics>
[4]<AmbientOcclusion>false</AmbientOcclusion>
[4]<Glow>false</Glow>
[4]<Lighting>false</Lighting>
[4]<ShadowQuality>0</ShadowQuality>
[4]<TileBorders>false</TileBorders>
[4]<VSync>false</VSync>
Last edited by rskoraji; Jun 5, 2013 @ 3:39pm
Passerine Jun 5, 2013 @ 3:39pm 
I have already tried changing the config.xml with notepad++. I didn't think about the error file.
Error file:

----- UNHANDLED EXCEPTION - HMW BETA 1.041 -----
System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'glDeleteFramebuffers' in DLL 'opengl32.dll'.
at OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.GL.Core.DeleteFramebuffers(Int32 n, UInt32* framebuffers)
at OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.GL.DeleteFramebuffers(Int32 n, Int32& framebuffers)
at TiltedEngine.Drawing.RenderTarget.Dispose() in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\Tilted Engine\TiltedEngine\Drawing\RenderTarget.cs:line 40
at ARPGGame.WorldDrawer.MakeRenderTargets(Int32 w, Int32 h) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\WorldDrawer.cs:line 178
at ARPGGame.Menus.OptionsMenu.<GetFunction>b__1(Widget w) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Menus\OptionsMenu.cs:line 347
at ARPGGame.GUI.CheckboxWidget.MouseTrigger(Int32 x, Int32 y) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\GUI\CheckboxWidget.cs:line 45
at ARPGGame.Menus.GameMenu.ControlWidget(Widget widget, Int32 originX, Int32 originY, Point mousePos) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Menus\GameMenu.cs:line 256
at ARPGGame.Menus.GameMenu.ControlWidget(Widget widget, Int32 originX, Int32 originY, Point mousePos) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Menus\GameMenu.cs:line 270
at ARPGGame.Menus.GameMenu.ControlWidget(Widget widget, Int32 originX, Int32 originY, Point mousePos) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Menus\GameMenu.cs:line 270
at ARPGGame.Menus.GameMenu.Update(Int32 ms, Boolean updateControls) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Menus\GameMenu.cs:line 42
at ARPGGame.Menus.OptionsMenu.Update(Int32 ms, Boolean updateControls) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Menus\OptionsMenu.cs:line 97
at ARPGGame.GameBase.Update(Int32 ms) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\GameBase.cs:line 889
at ARPGGame.ARPGGame.OnUpdateFrame(FrameEventArgs e) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Program.cs:line 547
at OpenTK.GameWindow.RaiseUpdateFrame(Stopwatch update_watch, Double& next_update, FrameEventArgs update_args)
at OpenTK.GameWindow.Run(Double updates_per_second, Double frames_per_second)
at ARPGGame.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Program.cs:line 139
-----
System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'glDeleteFramebuffers' in DLL 'opengl32.dll'.
at OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.GL.Core.DeleteFramebuffers(Int32 n, UInt32* framebuffers)
at TiltedEngine.Drawing.RenderTarget.Dispose() in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\Tilted Engine\TiltedEngine\Drawing\RenderTarget.cs:line 40
at ARPGGame.WorldDrawer.MakeRenderTargets(Int32 w, Int32 h) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\WorldDrawer.cs:line 178
at ARPGGame.Menus.OptionsMenu.<GetFunction>b__1(Widget w) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Menus\OptionsMenu.cs:line 347
at ARPGGame.GUI.CheckboxWidget.MouseTrigger(Int32 x, Int32 y) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\GUI\CheckboxWidget.cs:line 45
at ARPGGame.Menus.GameMenu.ControlWidget(Widget widget, Int32 originX, Int32 originY, Point mousePos) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Menus\GameMenu.cs:line 256
at ARPGGame.Menus.GameMenu.Update(Int32 ms, Boolean updateControls) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Menus\GameMenu.cs:line 42
at ARPGGame.Menus.OptionsMenu.Update(Int32 ms, Boolean updateControls) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Menus\OptionsMenu.cs:line 97
at ARPGGame.GameBase.Update(Int32 ms) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\GameBase.cs:line 889
at ARPGGame.ARPGGame.OnUpdateFrame(FrameEventArgs e) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Program.cs:line 547
at OpenTK.GameWindow.RaiseUpdateFrame(Stopwatch update_watch, Double& next_update, FrameEventArgs update_args)
at ARPGGame.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Program.cs:line 139
-----
-----
rskoraji Jun 5, 2013 @ 3:41pm 
If it didn't change the settings then it's propbably issues with your drivers, you can get beta update at guru3d.com to see if anything will work.
Last edited by rskoraji; Jun 5, 2013 @ 3:48pm
Passerine Jun 5, 2013 @ 3:50pm 
It changed the settings, just didn't fix the flickering or crashing.
Myran  [developer] Jun 5, 2013 @ 4:40pm 
Okay, so what happened was that in the previous versions everything was forced off for graphics cards without FBOs, but in 1.041 i started to add support for the effects for those cards (so the editor works), I would guess that the shadows or ambient occlusion just doesn't work on your card but forcing them off (shadows to 0 everything else to false) in the config should really be the same as in 1.03.
The crash when changing options is because I dont actually have a card without FBOs to test on, so I'm kinda just doing this blind :\. I'll release a fix for this and any other minor issue tomorrow as 1.042. As a quick test you can download http://www.hammerwatch.com/builds/TiltedEngine.dll and replace the one in the game folder and see if that fixes the crash.
rskoraji Jun 5, 2013 @ 8:04pm 
Originally posted by Myran:
Okay, so what happened was that in the previous versions everything was forced off for graphics cards without FBOs, but in 1.041 i started to add support for the effects for those cards (so the editor works), I would guess that the shadows or ambient occlusion just doesn't work on your card but forcing them off (shadows to 0 everything else to false) in the config should really be the same as in 1.03.
The crash when changing options is because I dont actually have a card without FBOs to test on, so I'm kinda just doing this blind :\. I'll release a fix for this and any other minor issue tomorrow as 1.042. As a quick test you can download http://www.hammerwatch.com/builds/TiltedEngine.dll and replace the one in the game folder and see if that fixes the crash.
Don't know if it matters in this situation, but I thought'd i'd report it just incase.I tried it and the game just doesn't open(instant crash)
[Tried because I heard FBO's and thought maybe it'd fix my minimap]

Edit:I just realized I'm having a similar issue, since 1.04 I've had a lot of Framerate issues(runs fine at first, after 2-3 minutes the framerate is just crap anytime I'm fighting) and I just notice tileframes were on, and I can't turn off via ingame of config file.(just insta crashes if i edit config file)

Crash report:
System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.
at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer(Int32 numBytes)
at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadInt32()
at TiltedEngine.Drawing.ResourceContext.LoadResourcePack(String packFile, Boolean mod)
at TiltedEngine.Drawing.ResourceContext.LoadResources()
at ARPGGame.GameBase.InitializeResources(ResourceContext resContext) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\GameBase.cs:line 275
at ARPGGame.ARPGGame.OnLoad(EventArgs e) in C:\Arbete\Programmering\C#\ARPGProj\trunk\ARPG\ARPGGame\Program.cs:line 468
-----
Last edited by rskoraji; Jun 5, 2013 @ 9:18pm
Ozymandias J. Llewellyn Jun 5, 2013 @ 10:09pm 
That looks like you broke your config file because it's getting unexpected data after reading it.
rskoraji Jun 5, 2013 @ 10:39pm 
Originally posted by Ozymandias J. Llewellyn:
That looks like you broke your config file because it's getting unexpected data after reading it.
I never edited my config file on that error report, that error report is for the file Myran requested Spycrab to test.

Last edited by rskoraji; Jun 5, 2013 @ 10:41pm
Passerine Jun 6, 2013 @ 10:29am 
Originally posted by Myran:
It worked! Love ya dev!
k33x Jul 1, 2013 @ 6:36am 
Im having the same problem. Sadly the link http://www.hammerwatch.com/builds/TiltedEngine.dll isnt working anymore :(
Myran  [developer] Jul 1, 2013 @ 12:07pm 
Originally posted by k33x:
Im having the same problem. Sadly the link http://www.hammerwatch.com/builds/TiltedEngine.dll isnt working anymore :(
You're having the crash? It should be fixed in 1.06, can you post your error.txt?
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50