This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Galactic Arms Race
Soüp Feb 4, 2013 @ 9:59pm
Game feedback
As a new player, I'm having fun so far. There's a couple things that are missing though that I really think would improve the player experience.

- The ability to pause the game in single player.
- Keyboard shortcuts to open the various UI menus. It's rather clunky having to use the mouse to open all of them
- Keyboard shortcuts to interact with in-game objects. Same problem as above.
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
< >
banjo2E Feb 5, 2013 @ 2:16am 
This doesn't necessarily need to have a high priority or anything, but I'd appreciate not being forced to enter at least one PvP zone in order to progress through the game. I kind of hate being forced to let other players kill me when all I want to do is kill the computer.
Last edited by banjo2E; Feb 5, 2013 @ 2:16am
Gyumaou Feb 5, 2013 @ 10:22am 
keyboard shortcuts +1!
nakano Feb 5, 2013 @ 11:16am 
I just played the campaign a few minutes. The pause would be really helpful in the single player mode. The game seems nice, but I hope it involves epic story line and interaction between different races like in Star Control games + maybe forming alliances for non-linear endings (if there currently are any). If this is going to be a game to destroy x starships on sector y and then the next mission, I don't think this will be for me. Well, I only tested this shortly and don't yet know what the campaign will be about. Maybe there could be a helpful pointer where your next closest mission target is. Took sometime to find the pirate ships.
Last edited by nakano; Feb 5, 2013 @ 11:17am
kampfwolke Feb 5, 2013 @ 1:07pm 
I agree with the PVP being forced nad the pause mode, dont think pointers are neccessary though. maps are rather small and killing is first priority anyway so youll find your target quick enough ;) Just makes you haste through the game.
Renesis Feb 5, 2013 @ 1:46pm 
It would be nice if there is some kind of manual to show what each of the values actually does. For example I don't know what is Gauss or Ramp etc.
Other than that, quite an interesting game as a concept and it could definitely become something more in the future..
Last edited by Renesis; Feb 5, 2013 @ 1:47pm
banjo2E Feb 5, 2013 @ 2:25pm 
Okay, I've changed my mind on the forced PvP.

I'm now point-blank refusing to play this game, and am telling everyone I know to stay away from it, until PvP is no longer required.

Getting spawncamped and two-shotted by a level 200 player when you're level 50 IS NOT FUN AT ALL. If the only way I can opt out of that BS is to opt out of the game entirely, that's what I'm gonna do.
Last edited by banjo2E; Feb 5, 2013 @ 2:25pm
LogSquasher Feb 5, 2013 @ 7:41pm 
I've been playing the campaign for a small while, and I must say it's quite fun, although there's lots of room for improvement. Right now I feel this is an alpha build, showcasing the potential of the gun. Some points:

- Whatever you do, adding more variation to the game is a must! While the game is fun for a short while, the missions are repetitive and the battle is too predictable. If more game elements are added (mining asteroids for resources, NPC interaction, etc.), you could easily develop a small story and add more variety to the missions. Battles could be enhanced by expanding the gun system and make the enemies act (way) less predictable/make them more varied.

- The gun system is awesome, although it's difficult to see the difference in power. An indicator for that would be great. Like said above, a manual to the gun editor is pretty much essential and makes it way more usable. Some kind of gun map would also be cool, and displayed as a sort of family tree really displays the awesomeness of the system.

- The interface could be more attractive and sci-fi-like, but that's a minor point.

- Lastly, make the game less irritating. After a while there are so many enemies in an area that approaching them is instant death. The spawning system and AI behaviour is so predictable in this that it's really annoying to be killed by a large group (which you inevitably have to fight for a mission), especially because it costs credits. Also, why does it get more and more expensive to respawn? Make the cost also go down if you salvage something, for example, because most of my hard-earned money now goes down the drain.

If you put some creative effort into this game, it could turn out to be pretty good. The base is there. Now push forward! Or not. But that would be plain stupid.
Last edited by LogSquasher; Feb 5, 2013 @ 7:44pm
SteVic82 Feb 8, 2013 @ 7:49pm 
- need the pause during the single player campaign
- the gamepad works but not very well
- CPU sometimes send against me too may ships to fight with
Astral Projection  [developer] Feb 11, 2013 @ 7:10pm 
Good suggestions. Added pretty much all of them here on the forum:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/galacticarmsrace/mjZssGrcdoI
nagleator Mar 13, 2013 @ 7:33pm 
Another suggestion. I have been playing the game offline so the PVP stuff doesnt worry me but I would like it if when you exit out of the single player game when you go back in it loads you at the section where you left. I keep getting dropped back in at the starting area and it is a bit annoying to make my way all the way through the low level guys that I get no XP on. Thanks
Invisigoth Mar 24, 2013 @ 6:02pm 
seriously, i want to buy this game, is it gonna be avaliable soon?
Heiach Apr 5, 2013 @ 8:01pm 
I've played for like 6 hours+ now.. only seen 2 other players... where is everyone?
There are only 2 servers apparently and I use Downer.

Also how about a sensible max level?.. I've been working diligently to get myselg to 60 and I see zones that allow up to level 1000... seriously, 1000? 100 will do surely!.. Makes me wanna stop playing to think that I'd have to get to 1000 :(
kalirion Apr 11, 2013 @ 12:35pm 
Unless I missed something in my playthrough of the SP campaign, the game desperately needs a label for the jump gates on the local map screen. It is a pain fighting through a horde of enemies to a jump gate only to find out it's not the one you want.

Originally posted by Heiach:
Also how about a sensible max level?.. I've been working diligently to get myselg to 60 and I see zones that allow up to level 1000... seriously, 1000? 100 will do surely!.. Makes me wanna stop playing to think that I'd have to get to 1000 :(

At least in SP I visited the 750-1000 zones around level 110 for the last missions. Pretty much suicide missions which tell you to travel through those zones without engaging the enemies, but the enemies are quite happy to engage (and slaughter, obviously) you.
Last edited by kalirion; Apr 11, 2013 @ 12:38pm
Rainbow Dash May 28 @ 8:49am 
hey

i played this game for some hours some days ago. it's not quite bad and having played it for hours is even good considering how bad games are these days.

so, it looks like a 3D Dark Orbit. interface is simple to use except for weapons bank and labs which I find awful. I also kinda dislike the lasers. the patterns and particles are, well, i don't know how to explain it well, but kinda disgusting to see. i'd rather like some "realistic" lasors, bullets and rockets. and some effects on the ship that highlights the shield on attacks received and repairs

the quests aren't that bad either. it's not the most great stuff we've got out there but it introduces well to the game mechanics

and about that stuff above, i find that to be something good to make players travel too-high level zones for them to complete a quest. i made my way to lv 50~ish and haven't met a quest leading me to some 1-hit kill zone yet, but why not. it could require the help of highter level players or avoiding the mobs. there are often stuffs like that in space.. stuffs where the dudes gotta travel some very dangerous zone

edit : i've been alone all along on my try, playing on 32-slots official server
Last edited by Rainbow Dash; May 28 @ 8:51am
Rainbow Dash May 29 @ 4:52pm 
bump again, I haven't seen any backgrounds 'til now (lv 5X). would be cool to add backgrounds to some areas
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50