This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Xsyon: Prelude
[EMP]Veritas781 Oct 29, 2013 @ 8:10am
Review of Xsyon: Prelude
Hi everyone. I wanted to post here and say some things about Xsyon for those who may be wondering what it's like. I've never written a review, and I'm really not planning on starting to write them, but I found that there is a lack of information available for this game. With that being said, here is my review of Xsyon: Prelude.

First off, it's a survival sandbox style MMORPG, and it's definitely not for everyone. However, this game is easily one of the most in-depth community driven games available, and it's players are greatly rewarded for their actions.

Your Character:

During character creation, you are able to pick your starting stats and skills. However, once you begin playing, if you decide you would rather have chosen a different set of stats and skills there is an option to reassign your stats (up to 4 times), and you can always begin working on training up a different skill. Skills and stats are married together, meaning that increases to your stats are possible while training up your skills. For example, if you focus on crafting Masonry recipes and items, you will not only begin to unlock more Masonry recipes as your skill increases, but you will also receive gains to your Fortitude attribute, which in turn increases your maximum HP, and decreases the amount of stamina you consume while fighting/crafting/gathering. There are 9 basic crafting disciplines to choose from, and you are able to freely change between which ones you would like to work with. Each one offers it's own distinct pros and cons.

Social Interaction:

The Tribe system is very interesting. Picture it like a clan from most other MMOs, yet nothing like a clan from other MMOs. Let me elaborate on that a bit. Since this is a crafting and survival focused open world PVP with FULL loot MMORPG, (Yes, you read that right.)people tend to work together in ways that are simply not possible in other MMOs. For instance, most players tend to choose a few crafting disciplines that they are going to master, and every single crafting skill is vital to your Tribe's success. One player may be a master Architect, which allows him to place the schematics down for more advanced structures, but lacks the Masonry skill to create the proper materials to complete the project himself. But that's fine, because another Tribe member has been working on his Masonry craft, and can help out by making the materials that are needed. Some other players within the Tribe are planning a hunt, but not everybody is properly geared up. No problem, one of the Tribe members is a master Leatherworker, and he can craft up some armor, while another member, who happens to be quite skilled in Weaponcrafting makes some Axes for those who need them. The social interaction within a Tribe is far more significant than what is found is most other MMOs. There is a real sense of cohesion, and working together on a regular basis helps everyone.

Combat:

The combat system is twitch-based, and very skill oriented. Currently, only 1-handed weapons have been implemented, but you are able to dual wield. There aren't any hotkey-based combat skills. Instead, when you attack there is a power meter that dictates how hard you will swing your weapon. The harder you swing, the more damage a successful hit will cause, but it will also consume more stamina. Similar to how a fight works in real life you might not want to throw haymakers over and over, if a couple jabs make more sense for the situation. There is no auto-targeting either. You have to actually aim your attacks, and judge distance and timing accordingly, similar to some ARPGs on the market. As mentioned above, the PvP system is pretty brutal in that when you are killed, your killer can completely loot you. This makes it very important to stay sharp when exploring or scavenging outside the protection of your Tribal territory. Of course, by the time you're venturing further out of your Tribal area, you will probably have plenty of items in storage that you can go pick up to take some of the sting away from just having lost every thing you had on you.

Visuals:

Graphically, Xsyon isn't exactly the greatest, but it's not horrid either. The water is beautifully rendered, and the environment looks and feels pretty good. The character models are also pretty decent, but again, we're not talking next-gen quality. The character animations can be a little wonky at times, but none of these things are so bad that it feels broken. Just some minor distractions, if at all.

Overall, Xsyon: Prelude has a lot of potential to be a great game. If you are someone who enjoys the sandbox MMO genre, I would suggest not letting this game pass you by. The development team is delivering updates on a regular basis, and there are plenty of great features in the works.

If you are interested in trying the game out, there is a F2P "trial". While this trial will never expire, there are some pretty big limitations on how far your character can progress. But, by the time you hit this limitation, you will probably have a good idea of whether or not you like the game. If you decide to give it a shot, consider joining a tribe as soon as possible. There is a recruitment section on the Xsyon forums, but you can also ask in general chat in-game. While it's possible to play solo, the game really comes alive when you're working with others.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.xsyon.com/content.php

Last edited by [EMP]Veritas781; Oct 29, 2013 @ 8:37am
Showing 1-1 of 1 comments
< >
Stackofbeef Jan 10 @ 3:27pm 
Id like to see an actual pvp video or pve. This game came out years ago and on steam front page, they only have 2 videos that shows the landscape and buildings only like they want to hide everything else. I mean come on now. Show me action combat, pvp, pve.

This game is 9$ per month so it deserve no sympathy for that cost. It's either good or not.
Showing 1-1 of 1 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50