This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Chasm
Tenka Apr 29, 2013 @ 9:34pm
So.. how "Metroidvania" are we talking here?
So .. the game looks great, no doubt. But it is cited as a very "Metroidvania" title, and while the videos and screenshot show great similarities to the style, one of the core Metroidvania mechanics is the use of "Key Abilities" for the player to gain.

I mean that in the literal sense, unique special abilities that actually act as "keys" to unlock certain areas through the use of natural enhancements. e.g. Morphball to access small tunnels or High Jump to access higher areas.

My question is, will Chasm feature this mechanic? Or is this more "Diablo" than Metroid? and if it does, how does that fit with the random level generation?

Because it seems to me like while the maps themselves are nonlinear, the level progression seems completely linear and I struggle to see how that fits with the fabled Metroid/Castlevania mechanic I described.

Well, even without I think this will be a great game, afterall, I loved Diablo about as much as I loved Metroid. :)
Last edited by Tenka; Apr 29, 2013 @ 9:36pm
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
< >
bingostar826 May 3, 2013 @ 12:49pm 
this is a solid question and i second it!
sensorium7  [developer] May 6, 2013 @ 2:22pm 
Thanks for the question! Sorry I didn't see it sooner.

So basically games like Super Metroid and Shadow Complex use weapons as the primary system for reaching previously inaccessible areas. Since this game features a more RPG-style weapon system, we've decided to go purely with platforming abilities as the special abilities.

At some point, floors will begin branching with doors that lead to different areas. Some may not be accessible immediately in classic Metroid-style, and you will have to come back to them later. You will have to explore and find new abilities like Double Jumping, Wall Jumping, Ledge Grabs, and maybe even Grapple Hooking to reach these inaccessible places. We want navigating through dungeons to be a ton of fun, so we'll be putting a lot of work into extending the moveset with a bunch of fun manuevers.

Hope this makes sense, please let me know!
bingostar826 May 6, 2013 @ 3:30pm 
Originally posted by sensorium7:
At some point, floors will begin branching with doors that lead to different areas. Some may not be accessible immediately in classic Metroid-style, and you will have to come back to them later. You will have to explore and find new abilities like Double Jumping, Wall Jumping, Ledge Grabs, and maybe even Grapple Hooking to reach these inaccessible places. We want navigating through dungeons to be a ton of fun, so we'll be putting a lot of work into extending the moveset with a bunch of fun manuevers.

You just big fat confirmed some of the things a lot of people ive seen asking with this!!!!
YES!!
sensorium7  [developer] May 6, 2013 @ 3:45pm 
By the way, Jeremy Parish (confirmed Castlevania freak) grilled me about a lot of this stuff, you can read the interview here:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/23/chasm-creating-an-infinite-metroidvania
bingostar826 May 6, 2013 @ 5:58pm 
just read it. good stuff! i like that you know what you want. he was throwing you some curveballs there but you stuck to your guns and that speaks volumes about your integrity and through it the game. im absolutely thrilled this game got funded and im sure itll be greenlit soon!
Tenka May 6, 2013 @ 8:18pm 
Thanks for the question! Sorry I didn't see it sooner.

So basically games like Super Metroid and Shadow Complex use weapons as the primary system for reaching previously inaccessible areas. Since this game features a more RPG-style weapon system, we've decided to go purely with platforming abilities as the special abilities.

Hope this makes sense, please let me know!

Thanks for the reply!

I like the sound of it, and the fact that this project is even more "Metroidvania" than I thought it would be only makes me want it even more. I can't wait for the finished product!
Bispo Snake May 17, 2013 @ 11:58am 
As for the answers from dev in the first post, I'll be looking forward to get this one. Love "metroidvania" games, hope it reaches GreenLight ;)
StaticPotato May 17, 2013 @ 9:07pm 
From all the youtube videos I watched of this game, I'd say it IS very metroidvania
cyKAPOWer Jun 6, 2013 @ 10:52pm 
Can we get more details on the weapon system?
[L0GAN] Jun 19, 2013 @ 6:12pm 
Looking forward to this one.
sensorium7  [developer] Jun 19, 2013 @ 6:39pm 
Originally posted by GANKSOHARD.gif:
Can we get more details on the weapon system?

It will be pretty similar to the DS Castlevania games where you can equip weapons or items to both hands. Weapons will come in different major categories like Knives, Short Swords, Spells, etc. We haven't decided on all the categories yet, but we should have more info soon.

We're also planning on a quick swap, so you can configure a couple different loadouts for your hands and then swap between them in-game.
Last edited by sensorium7; Jun 19, 2013 @ 6:40pm
Jesus Chrysler Jun 30, 2013 @ 12:05am 
We're also planning on a quick swap, so you can configure a couple different loadouts for your hands and then swap between them in-game.

Thank you! Hopefully that plan makes it into the final product. So many games need to do this, and few deliver.
PsycoPunk Jul 3, 2013 @ 12:15pm 
I've been looking forward to my next Metroidvania fix for quite a while :-) And this makes top of my list...
bingostar826 Jul 3, 2013 @ 2:19pm 
Originally posted by PsycoPunk:
I've been looking forward to my next Metroidvania fix for quite a while :-) And this makes top of my list...
you should check out rogue legacy then! its great!!
DeepBoyce Jul 5, 2013 @ 5:29pm 
I think I may need to give this game a try. You got me when you said MetroidVania.
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50