This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

The Cat Lady
thitz Aug 28, 2013 @ 5:54pm
Game key for Steam
People who already bought the game on others platforms will be receiving a Steam key for the game?
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
Conditio sine qua non Aug 30, 2013 @ 11:58pm 
I got it from Groupes, so im in the same boat here
opasx Sep 9, 2013 @ 6:48pm 
I will buy it again, I bought it via shinyloot, I just want the devs to have more money to make another game in this style.
Chudah Sep 10, 2013 @ 7:07am 
I'll probably do the same when I get a little extra cash. I may gift it to a few friends too. Such a good game.
Screen 7  [developer] Sep 23, 2013 @ 9:55pm 
Hello! Steam keys will be issued to those who bought the game via Groupies bundle, IndieGameStand and Phoenix Horror Bundle (at IndieBundle.org) or bought one of the three official deals from us on Cat Lady website (Teacup Special, Mitzi's Meal or Susan's Ego). Steam keys for Cat Lady don't come with any other distributors, sorry.
ϟ Ericz Sep 24, 2013 @ 7:46am 
So, Desura owners not? Why not, it costs extra money?
(i don't think so, but i can be wrong)

These guy doesn't even make us wait: http://store.steampowered.com/app/246300
Insta key for Desura owners.

The Cat Lady is a truly great work, but this way you are dumping customer loyalty away. It's worse for you than me, i think. :/
ϟ Ericz Sep 24, 2013 @ 8:22am 
I was really expecting to get this game on Steam, but i'll not pay again for it, it's better to support another work and grab another game.

Maybe on a bundle...
Jackass Penguin Oct 14, 2013 @ 2:52am 
Originally posted by ϟ Ericz:

The Cat Lady is a truly great work, but this way you are dumping customer loyalty away. It's worse for you than me, i think. :/
Once you bought a game on desura you don't need to wait for anything

just:
- go on desura and login
- download your bought full installer here: http://www.desura.com/games/the-cat-lady
- install
- add it on steam

it's called DRM Free-dom
ϟ Ericz Oct 14, 2013 @ 3:02am 
Originally posted by Jackass Penguin:

Once you bought a game on desura you don't need to wait for anything

just:
- go on desura and login
- download your bought full installer here: http://www.desura.com/games/the-cat-lady
- install
- add it on steam

it's called DRM Free-dom

It's different.
Steam features will not be present.

I just don't see any reason if they get unlimited keys, there are no additional cost to do it.
Unless it is not a default and they have to pay something in this case.

People who bought on cheap bundles get it.
Just strange, at best.
ϟ Ericz Oct 14, 2013 @ 4:38am 
Well, i found the answer, there's no apparently reason:

If my game is accepted through Steam Greenlight, can I give my previous customers keys for the Steam version?

Once your game is accepted for distribution on Steam, we will give you as many keys for your game as you want at no cost.

Plus, i heard they're planning some updates, including additional music tracks, BUT Steam users will not get it (probably they will sell like DLC). In other words, DRM-Free users will get it for free, Steam users not.

Well, i'll be looking closer to it.
These guys made a very cool game, but i don't like the way they're handle their business. It's a totally personal opinion, but it matters a lot to me.
PumpkinBoogie Oct 19, 2013 @ 9:44pm 
Well, i found the answer, there's no apparently reason:

If my game is accepted through Steam Greenlight, can I give my previous customers keys for the Steam version?

Once your game is accepted for distribution on Steam, we will give you as many keys for your game as you want at no cost.

Plus, i heard they're planning some updates, including additional music tracks, BUT Steam users will not get it (probably they will sell like DLC). In other words, DRM-Free users will get it for free, Steam users not.

Well, i'll be looking closer to it.
These guys made a very cool game, but i don't like the way they're handle their business. It's a totally personal opinion, but it matters a lot to me.
Wow...that's kinda weak. So if those of us who got it off gog.com don't get a Steam key either. Especially considering I'm sure one of MY Greenlit votes, helped out getting on here (even though I went ahead and got it off GOG). :/

That seems a bit odd seeing as though it doesn't cost anything for devs who are GLed on Steam to obtain Steam keys for previous buyers of the game from other platforms/distributors.....<_<
Screen 7  [developer] Oct 25, 2013 @ 9:50am 
There's quite a lot more to it than just that single quote about keys. Yes, Steam can generate the keys, but - firstly, GOG don't supply keys for Steam with any of the games they sell there as far as I'm aware. It's their policy, it's how they do business. We could give them the keys to give to those who purchased from them but as I say, it's not their policy - they won't send them out. And they certainly won't be giving us the info of their customers for us to send them out.

This is the same with other distributors. If they haven't offered a Steam key with their sale of the product, you are not obligated to receive one from them. And the developer isn't obligated to offer a Steam key to anyone who has purchased the game from anywhere, ever - that's just a crazy notion. You don't buy things on the high street and then get the same product free from various other retailers simply because you bought it from one, that's not the way the world works.

Please remember that GOG and others, who offer DRM-free are doing the OPPOSITE of what Steam offers, who provide digital rights management. So before getting into business politics you're already asking for two things that are the complete opposite to be brought together.

It's great that you helped vote and get the game on Steam, we appreciate it. Where possible we are trying to give out keys but you should understand that companies & their business practices are all different. "Keys" interfere with the business practices of all these companies, some allow it, some don't. It may seem simple from the players perspective but behind the scenes it's a complex process that requires time & negotiation.

As mentioned countless times, the official website has offered up getting the game DRM-free + Desura key + Steam key in ONE sale since the release of the game, for around £7.99. We encourage people to buy it that way. It's not a problem that people prefer to buy it via other distributors but each distributor comes with its own caveats, included extras and key agreements. As any customer should, it's good to shop around for the best deal.

I can see your frustration, but hope the above goes some way to exlpain why. The way we do business won't be pleasing to everyone, but sometimes it goes far beyond what we're actually capable of implementing, or "OUR" business - these decisions that prevent you from free keys lays in the hands of other distributors as much as it does with us. Your best bet, is to speak to the distributor you bought the game from and ask them to offer Steam keys with their purchases. As mentioned, Screen 7 have given customers the opportunity to own the game on multiple levels from the day Cat Lady was released, and we stand by that.
ϟ Ericz Oct 25, 2013 @ 10:51am 
Originally posted by Screen 7:
And the developer isn't obligated to offer a Steam key to anyone who has purchased the game from anywhere, ever - that's just a crazy notion. You don't buy things on the high street and then get the same product free from various other retailers simply because you bought it from one, that's not the way the world works.
As mentioned countless times, the official website has offered up getting the game DRM-free + Desura key + Steam key in ONE sale since the release of the game, for around £7.99. We encourage people to buy it that way. ... As any customer should, it's good to shop around for the best deal.
The way we do business won't be pleasing to everyone, but sometimes it goes far beyond what we're actually capable of implementing, or "OUR" business - these decisions that prevent you from free keys lays in the hands of other distributors as much as it does with us. Your best bet, is to speak to the distributor you bought the game from and ask them to offer Steam keys with their purchases.
As mentioned, Screen 7 have given customers the opportunity to own the game on multiple levels from the day Cat Lady was released, and we stand by that.

Right, you're not obligated to do anything.
But that comparison with buying things at streets... that is crazy.

It's a digital product, it's not like buying a single pair of shoes and ask for the same at different stores, ended up with a truck of shoes. Or buying a boxed game on DVD and do the same.
When you buy a game by digital downloading, you're buying the rights to play it. And i think it doesn't matter where i'll play it, unless if it's on another platform.

This game is not on Steam yet, so my preference to play through Steam doesn't matter, because nobody can buy your game at Steam. You put your product on another stores, and nobody is obligated to go to your website to see that your offer is different there. The distributor can't offer keys that doesn't exist, it's false advertisement.

I got Steam keys of 2 games bought on Desura from different developers that got Greenlited, one or two days after Steam launch. It was dead simple, and they don't came at us with that blatant "OUR business" thing.

Yes, it's YOUR business, and you do what you want, but it will have an impact on how people (customers!) see YOUR business and if they will still buying or marketing YOUR products to friends and even some media.

And the fact it's YOUR business doesn't mean i can't disagree, or feeling that is wrong or still talking about.

Also, still having N ways to do it, and you can simply says it's too hard and you don't want, or even you don't want to do it anyway.

It's hard to read such a bizarre thing from a developer of a game you play and love it. But, well, that's how the "world works", right?
Chudah Oct 26, 2013 @ 3:38pm 
It's not bizarre at all, it's just the way it is. They're trying their best with what they've got. Just because other developers have given away Steam keys doesn't mean Screen7 can do so now. And who knows, things may change sometime down the line; but right now, getting The Cat Lady up on Steam is their first priority.

If you really want to support this developer so they can continue making games, you'll buy a Steam Key. I know some people don't have the extra money to buy a game multiple times, and I'm sympathetic, but at least you've played and enjoyed the game. I plan on buying the The Cat Lady again so I can support Harvester Games, even though I already have a GOG copy. Money is tight for me too, but I'm willing to budget out an extra $10 because I truly want to see this developer succeed and continue to create great games. And if you can't afford that, well, there's always the winter/summer sales. The Cat Lady is easily worth double its $10 pricetag, though, at least in my opinion.
ϟ Ericz Oct 26, 2013 @ 5:05pm 
Buy it again is your choice, not mine.
And why you'll like to support somebody you support before and then said to you the way they handle their business is not of your concern, with big CAPS?

What i said it's bizarre was this tone.
Maybe i can't express myself so good in that language or you doesn't understand.

Just a note.

I'll not die or insist on getting the Steam key, but since i have it on Desura i was thinking about how good it was to be if that cool game was here on Steam.

Yep, it's frustrating to not, because to me buy the same thing two times is a waste of money, and i don't like to do it. So, if they don't do it, i'll not have it on my library like i was thinking before. At least not before being on a bundle.

And also i'll not expect any other games from them, cause i'll not buy it anyway. Everybody losses.
Chudah Oct 26, 2013 @ 5:51pm 
It's your prerogative to not support the developer in the future, that doesn't mean others won't. Sometimes businesses need to make tough decisions, and in this case it's a decision that's not even in Screen7's power to make, and they've tried to explain it as best as they could. Perhaps they'll lose a few sales, but there's not much they can do. I did not expect GOG to give me a Steam key since they're a direct competitor to Steam. To expect competitors to support their rivals is unrealistic. It's one thing to get keys from a Humble Bundle, but from another site that's competing for sales?

Oh, and as for the rights to play a digital game, you retain your right to play it (which you can anytime and anywhere you want), you just don't have the rights to any of Steam's features if you didn't purchase it through Steam; you can blame Steam for that since it's their proprietary platform. Steam offers those things so their digital games are more attractive than their competitors' versions. It's really not that hard to understand.
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50