This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

City of Steam
Sefer Mr. MeeSeeks Jun 20, 2013 @ 2:23pm
Why you should NOT greenlight this game.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
I'm sorry but I cannot recommend this game. It has single handedly DESTROYED my love for mmorpgs. Of the 100s of mmos I have played, of the 1000s of games, I have never felt dead inside until I played this game... And here are the reasons why.

1. The game has lost a majority of its population. In essence, its dieing. You know Dungeon Party on steam? It has slightly more population than that... The next few reasons are why its population are low.

2. The game had amazing, intricate systems. Its talent tree had loads of possibilities, the stats were also indepth for more customization, and the item modding system was incredibly advanced, so much that it could have 12-14 or even more unique bonuses to it... All of this however was removed, because it was 'advanced'. Because it had so many options, they feared it would deter new players, so they watered down everything... How watered down you ask? They removed a VAST majority of the customization. Intricate talent tree? Nope, now every few levels you choose between 3 simple options, usually something like 400 health, 400 steam, or 200 of both. Intricate item system? Nope, now its just a few mods, I think max is like 3 now, and even the mods are watered down, not many options... Etc, you get the picture. Everything that was praised as being amazing, brand new, a breath of fresh air!... has been removed now that its open beta.

3. STAMINA SYSTEM. Need I say more? Restrictions that force you to stop, the same restrictions found in most korean games, that do not belong in OUR games. All the dungeons have em, the higher up, the more the cost. At level 8 I was seeing dungeons having 40-50 cost, thats 50 minutes I have to wait to get that energy back.

4. Transmuter. A random chance of obtaining various amazing items! Atleast thats what it was like before in the old system. You get the orbs from defeating boss dungeons. But now, the transmuter is crap. All items are temporary other than potions, the temporarys are also crap, despite how hard it can be to aquire them. Temporary and horrible... Further a problem because of the high energy cost for boss dungeons, so you cant really grind for the orbs either, all that work for nothing... Why? Because of the real money item shop of course...

5. The Item Shop. I enjoy these things, but this is total CRAP. want a jetpack that increases your speed a bit? 50 dollars. Want a dog that gives you very minimal extra kill exp and slight regen? 35 dollars. Cosmetic outfits that give 15% exp bonus? 25 dollars. Want to send a world chat message? 1 dollar. 1 dollar per message... Mechanic? Pfft, i'm pretty sure these people are the IRS with the way their charging.

All this crap was changed after Closed Beta. All of this implemented into open beta... The majority of their playerbase, including their dedicated fan base, and several now EX-moderators, have left the game... So what are their plans? Bring back the good stuff? NOPE, they want to scam all of us at steam into joining the game. Do not fall for it, this game has killed my love for mmos, and I wouldn't wish it upon the devil himself.

They refuse to listen to reason, they believe you guys will save them... But tell me, is this mess really worth saving? Honestly i'd recommend any other game over this one, it can still be fixed, maybe... But they refuse to listen to us, the forums have halted to a slight crawl now, and the refugee during primetime might see...10-20 people in the area. A lot of the time the chat is quiet, other than the occasional new player begging people to join his party... As you normally cant do the bosses alone.

Steam, I urge you not to greenlight this game...Not yet. Its rotting inside, and likely is soon to die, and is not worthy of being on steam in its current condition. Hell, I would recommend dungeon party before I recommend this.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Sefer Mr. MeeSeeks Jun 20, 2013 @ 3:04pm 
Furthermore Steam, the game was greenlite during Closed Beta, around April 19th. They did these overhauls AFTER it became greenlit, implemented on may 10th, causing everyone who voted, to quit, as this was not the game we voted for.... Therefore I demand this game be un-greenlighted, and be forced to go through the process all over again, with its current population...you may find that it does not get voted up to approval this time around.
UrsaMajor Jul 1, 2013 @ 8:12pm 
someone is mad =O
Poopfeels Jul 9, 2013 @ 6:04pm 
I started in open beta, and never saw any of the features of the closed testing.

For what its worth, I'm having a blast with this game. The real money shop is a total rip off and it does seem to be kinda pay to win, but I have no problems getting decent gear through pve.

It's a little bit like Diablo: The MMO, except not ♥♥♥♥.

My biggest problem is the community seems to be completely dead, the ingame chat is dead, in all my playtime I havent interacted at all with anyone, I just see some people running around sometimes in the hub areas.

Mind you, I'm only level 11.
SwobyJ Jul 23, 2013 @ 2:01am 
Originally posted by Mr. Poopfeels:
I started in open beta, and never saw any of the features of the closed testing.

For what its worth, I'm having a blast with this game. The real money shop is a total rip off and it does seem to be kinda pay to win, but I have no problems getting decent gear through pve.

My biggest problem is the community seems to be completely dead, the ingame chat is dead, in all my playtime I havent interacted at all with anyone, I just see some people running around sometimes in the hub areas.

The community is dead because of these changes and more.

I'm sure the devs could revert most of the negative changes and even tout it as a great PR move, but they probably won't. So the game dies. I hope they will change it though.
Ser Hammy Aug 3, 2013 @ 4:12pm 
You hear that guys? he DEMANDS that the game be un-greenlighted. You better do as he says! or who knows what will happen!
JoeB666 Aug 4, 2013 @ 3:00pm 
@Sefer:

Thanks very much for the thoughtful response. I don't think this game should be on Steam. Moreover, there should be a policy that any greenlighted games can be retroactively redlighted, if the gameplay mechanics are changed so as to make the game awful.
|)V|) Nova Aug 4, 2013 @ 11:12pm 
Originally posted by JoeB666:
@Sefer:

Thanks very much for the thoughtful response. I don't think this game should be on Steam. Moreover, there should be a policy that any greenlighted games can be retroactively redlighted, if the gameplay mechanics are changed so as to make the game awful.
YEP, and i also believe especialy for games in beta and/or in greatly changed aspects alone should unlight the game. If they make serious changes after game was in open beta then closed and population saw fit to leave because of said changes, then the game no longer deserves to be green lit as it should be revoted by the same population who left as they are the consumer/customers of such games. Just in that aspect alone i think they need a revote as it is not fair to the players who rely on steam to put through good titles and not crapy ones.
Ankhr Aug 5, 2013 @ 6:25pm 
Once I find the redlit button, it's gonna get mashed.
Sydherian Aug 13, 2013 @ 10:25am 
Originally posted by Mr. Poopfeels:

I didn't play City of Steam but I have to warn you Mr. Poopfeels, the game is young, and in most games with a cash-shop, the first (two -let's be optimistic) year(s), it's no pay to win, afterwards, if you want to have a chance to defeat any mid/high level boss, you have to pay ALOT (or farm MANY gold to pay a guy who will purchase in the cs for you).
Globow Oct 12, 2013 @ 1:56am 
well matbe its just bad because of the contrast to what it was just look at the game play alone then rate it, dont compare it with someting better even though the "better" is just an older version of the game
Ghostmourn Oct 15, 2013 @ 2:20am 
Yeah they did change the much of the game after the green light, I left the game also.
Terrible payment model.
Ghostmourn Oct 15, 2013 @ 2:22am 
Perhaps the lesson is dont greenlight mmo's pre-release
Mechanist Games  [developer] Oct 25, 2013 @ 1:33am 
There is hope yet now that the rights to publish the game are back in our hands. We will have complete control over the content and features of the game, and hope to win back the support of our long lost fans. For those of you who still have hope, please visit www.cityofsteam.com to follow the developments as they unfold.
Mechanist Games  [developer] Oct 25, 2013 @ 1:38am 
Originally posted by Jihad Joe:
this game is alot of fun. id highly recomend it to anyone. i just wish they had a client for the game out :).

A downloadable client will be provided to play the game when the new Mechanist version is launched. This will also be available on Steam if we feel there is enough support for it. After everything that has happened, we are humbled and wish to operate our own game with simplicity and transparency. If the playership returns with enough support to make it happen, the game can also be available on Steam.
Mechanist Games  [developer] Oct 25, 2013 @ 2:26am 
Originally posted by Jihad Joe:
i love city of steam to death thank you for such a great game and i cant wait till its on steam
Well, lets be honest. There is a lot of work to do, a lot of damage to repair. We will do our best to restore this game now that the publishing power is back in Mechanist's hands.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50