This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

City of Steam
directxman12 Feb 16, 2013 @ 1:26am
Since Unity 4.0 supports Linux, but only for the native client builds. Do you intend to release a Native Client build for City of Steam, and thus support Linux, or are you just sticking to using the Web Player (which is only for Mac and Windows)?
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
h3v0rr1ll0 Mar 23, 2013 @ 5:41pm 
I think the same. If they develop in Mac´s platform, they can develop in GNU/Linux (If they had developed only in windows, i could understand)
Timeraider Mar 29, 2013 @ 1:19am 
Well.. CoS is developed using unity 4 and ive seen already alot of people using Linux already being able to play the game. Still unless the devs can confirm for 100% that EVERONE with Linux can play it, they wont advertise it as being capable of running on Linux. (they dont want to say anything thay might not be able to make true for everyone)
Also do realise CoS can do almost nothing about this as Linux and Unity need to figure alot of this out between themselfs to because mechanist is simply using the latest unity releases and its unity's job to make it work as perfect as possible on Linux.
Also.. the version that will be on Steam once it gets greenlit will be a more clientbased version allowing everything to run as well as possible while almost not caring about what OS you have.
Last edited by Timeraider; Mar 29, 2013 @ 1:20am
Xpander Apr 18, 2013 @ 3:28pm 
ok so it made it to steam.
hope to see it on linux.
cause the webplayer isnt ported to linux yet
kenjitamura Apr 20, 2013 @ 9:18pm 
Originally posted by Timeraider:
Well.. CoS is developed using unity 4 and ive seen already alot of people using Linux already being able to play the game.

I'm not sure how this could be happening. Linux users haven't been able to get the unity webplayer to run in Wine which I thought was the only way to play the game presently.

When a game client is released then linux users would definitely be able to play. The Unity 3d engine has a "build once port all" system and the game, I think, should be able to be ported to any client right now with just a click of a button. But, I'd imagine there'd need to be some additional testing and debugging for each OS client.

Even if they just released a windows client I'd think Mac and Linux users would have a good chance of playing the game in Wine. There should be a config file or launch option to use Opengl instead of DirectX rendering in the Windows client and so there wouldn't be any translation from directx to opengl calls, which is usually what hurts wine performance.
Timeraider Apr 21, 2013 @ 4:20am 
"With the latest version of the Unity engine, the client version of City of Steam (on Steam) should theoretically work on Linux; we're going to have to do some testing to make sure it actually does (and well) before we make an official claim ;)"
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 15 30 50