This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

City of Steam
FeathersRuffled Apr 17, 2013 @ 12:16pm
Humanoid Races?
Judging from the trailer we'll be getting cookie cutter races. Any uniqe races that will be playable? Something not resembling a human.
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Timeraider #Kaio-ken Apr 18, 2013 @ 1:12am 
Atm these are all races: http://www.cityofsteam.com/gameplay/races .. possible additions are Halflings and some more stuff..
Its hard to make a race which is amazingly different from humanoids which will also fit the lore.
(As this entire game is and will be directed alot with use of The New Epoch books.. which is an rpg bookseries made by the lead)..
Also if you stray to far from the humanoids, you get.. well.. crazy ♥♥♥ monsters and aliens is what i would think off and tbh i doubt a race like that would be actually friendly..
Lately i havent seen a single game go away from humanoidish look.. wow, rift, lotro, all singleplayer games.. even games like skyrim, swtor and gw2 all have races which at sight all have a humanoid structure.
Ofcourse even though they follow a certain line of lore..
if you can tell what kind of race you would like to see exactly, you might inspire the devs :P
They are known for being quite well with changing the game depending on the fanbase while at the same time being selective enough to discard whining from people who keep saying something has to change because it would give them an advantage.. which is great.

So... what kind of race do you imagine? :D
FeathersRuffled Apr 18, 2013 @ 12:31pm 
Something not humanoid thats for sure. Something not generic
Anethos Apr 19, 2013 @ 7:29pm 
+ One to this threads statement, because I totally agree.
Rainwhisker May 2, 2013 @ 6:20am 
Yeah. Among all MMOs I've seen, Charr is the most unique race because they're more than just a variant of a humanoid; they are quadrapeds by biology, culturally walking on either four or two legs. Their culture is pretty darn amazing in the sense that they take the 'war-like race' trope into a race that isn't just human with fur.

Not enough MMOs seem to have the gall to do that - to make a race that's truly unique.
First mate Stevè May 6, 2013 @ 8:39pm 
you have to understand, when it comes to mmorpgs, they have to be able to hold a weapon.
if by 'not humanoid' you mean completely unrelated to any sort of primate, it would likely have to walk on all fours, have paws or hooves or claws, have scales or fur or feathers, to hold it's weapon it would need to use either its teeth, perhaps some sort of appendage coming out of its back, or maybe it can use telekenesis and make its weapon float in front of it. To have mounts, it would have to look really wierd... or the creature would have to have a race specified 'mount' where it has a unique running animation (like WoW's worgen or the old 'mount' for the tauren)

so basically you're looking at something like a zergling or a psychic dog XD otherwise it would resemble a humanoid and this discussion would continue with people saying 'we want this, but we don't know what we want.'

i like the idea, and i mean no offense, i just think it would be more trouble than it is worth
apple.snowsong-voice actress Jun 18, 2013 @ 1:01am 
The Races look nice so far. I like the elven looking Riven, except sorry they are short-lived. :) I thought the Goblin girl looked like she would be fun to play too. I giggled when i read that they get into mischief with their curious nature. LOL Well, if you are looking for a race that has not been done much of anywhere gamewise, how about Merfolk (as in Mermaids and Mermen). Since u have a patrirachal race already, you could make the merfolk a matriarchal race. The females could be very beautiful, but the Mermen tough with scales on the side of their faces instead of sideburns and more scarey-looking. The female Mermaids could be beautiful and sweet faced without scales above the waist and with long hair. They could still fit the humanoid weapons and armor etc.because they could just have webbed feet and webbing between their fingers when they came out of the water, instead of a mermaid tail.That is they could either always be that way with just webbed feet or you could do it that they can shapeshift out of their tail when they come out of the water like in mermaid lore. Whatever works best for the game mechanics. Just an idea. If you like it, you can contact me and i can flesh it out more fully for you (with lore and all, to easily fit it in), or whatever you need -- or you could do it by yourself if you want. What do you think? :)
Last edited by apple.snowsong-voice actress; Jun 18, 2013 @ 9:32pm
First mate Stevè Jun 18, 2013 @ 8:57pm 
i kinda like the mermaid idea XD
apple.snowsong-voice actress Jun 18, 2013 @ 9:32pm 
Cool, Steve. XD
Hiphopopotamus Aug 6, 2013 @ 5:13am 
Well if were going to say that everything bipedal that has two arms and a cranium is humanoid it really cuts out a lot of races like Tauren, Khajit, Argonians and Draenei that I typically do not think of as being too human. That said, It would be cool for an RPG to put a race of dog-like beings with humanoid or better intelligence. Similar to Red XIII and his lost people in Final Fantasy 7.
First mate Stevè Aug 6, 2013 @ 9:21am 
umm... Tauren are humanoid, khajit are humanoid. It has nothing to do with their heads... It is their body type. the term "Humanoid" doesn't necessarily mean what kind of hands or head it has. It refers to a creature having a human-like appearance. that means having the ability to walk on two legs no matter what the feet look like. The head would have all the sensory organs on it (eye, mouth, nose, ear), And it would have similar bone structure. Tauren, Khajit, Argonians, and Draenei all share these same attributes. Sure one might have tenticles coming from its chin like a beard, one might have a lizard face, one might have a snout, but they all are considered humanoid. (even the ones with hooves :] )

If we want to dream up a non-humanoid race, then we need to open up the box and climb out of it. So what could be so disfigured to not be considered humanoid, but could still use all of the weapons in the game? (and still look awesome? :] )
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50