This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

Crashtastic
bytesback Mar 26 @ 6:29am
Concerns
Like many others I watched videos of this game from nerd3 and pewdiepie and thought "yep, thats the game for me!" and to be fair it is. This is a good game. It's just everything else around it is, well, awful.

So i decide to buy it, on to the website, buy here,seems simple so far, supports google wallet and paypal, erm, no it doesn't, paypal or nothing..............ok

After the paypal payment it would seem reasonable to get an email telling you how to download it, or directed to the download page. No! figure it out yourself.

After figuring it out and enduring the slowest download ever, I start the installer. Ok, downloading, very, very, slowly. ok game installed. wait, what ? I wasn't even asked where i wanted to install it. hmmmm, ok where's the icon, or start menu entry. Huh ?? Ok, start the installer again. Oh!! that starts the game. entirely illogical.

Wait ! sign in ? Isn't that always online drm ? the very thing that EA was being hauled over the coals for. WTF!! Find an entry somewhere that says he is doing this to monitor the game etc. Not good enough matey, just get it to send a report at the end. with my permission.

So, I go off and have a play. Love the game itself, great fun.

Apart from that bloody annoying music which I cant even turn off !! dear God, how fundamental is that. To much to ask maybe ?

And today, after owning it for less that 24hrs I cant even login. No, Login failed. Why ????

I have many alphas, and the devs are amazing. quick to respond to problems and will listen to feed back. I have only found one post from the dev in this forum.

Feeling ripped off !!
Last edited by bytesback; Apr 2 @ 2:44am
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
vagenda Mar 26 @ 5:29pm 
I had no such problems paying for the game. I've bought games without Steam before, and found that there was nothing unique in the experience here.

I had no trouble figuring out that I had to download and install it. I bet there are instructions on the site somewhere - I know how to use computers, hence didn't need a walk-through. For those that honestly do require a walk-through, I likely sound daft and insensitive - but I truly am sorry for that. Then again, if you are someone that needs such things - I highly suggest waiting for the finished game and to steer clear of alphas.

Signing-in is not an always online DRM scheme. That is daft. If this is what you think it is, then nearly every game including Minecraft is guilty of the same thing, but since I am a programmer who works in IT for a living - I can tell you that you are opining, and wrong. Having an account is not an activation process, nor is it a perpetually repeating activation process like EA had hot water over.

THE MUSIC - ok - can't disagree at all - but again - IT IS AN ALPHA.

You seem to think that everyone with a problem in an alpha ought to have it sorted out within 24 hours of the problem being reported, and short of that, feel genuinely justified in feeling ripped off. You have the right to feel that way - and having said that, your expectations are incredibly unrealistic. Even giants with finished polished games don't promise so much as a response - not a solution - a response - within 72 hours.

Otherwise - I get the frustration - but I am posting this because I think your post paints the dev's on this game poorly and unjustifiably in any reasonable definition or measure. Glad you had better luck with other Alphas, but that doesn't create a watermark for what expectations should be on all Alphas. By definition, an Alpha is something not yet deemed working right by the dev. I think you need to appreciate that with better clarity.

Vagenda
Last edited by vagenda; Mar 26 @ 5:31pm
bytesback Mar 27 @ 2:59am 
Originally posted by vagenda:
I had no such problems paying for the game. I've bought games without Steam before, and found that there was nothing unique in the experience here.

If you try the download links on the website, they do not work. It appears the only way to download is to sign in to the website at which point you get a different link.

Actually I am wrong, the download link does now go somewhere. It asks you to sign in. However, this wasnt the case when I bought the game as the link 504'd

II had no trouble figuring out that I had to download and install it. I bet there are instructions on the site somewhere - I know how to use computers, hence didn't need a walk-through. For those that honestly do require a walk-through, I likely sound daft and insensitive - but I truly am sorry for that. Then again, if you are someone that needs such things - I highly suggest waiting for the finished game and to steer clear of alphas.

Actually, look at my username, split the two words. Make that a company name. Guess what I do. As I said, I have many alphas. My experience with devs is very good. All I seem to see here and other place is lots of unanswered complaints.

ISigning-in is not an always online DRM scheme. That is daft. If this is what you think it is, then nearly every game including Minecraft is guilty of the same thing, but since I am a programmer who works in IT for a living - I can tell you that you are opining, and wrong. Having an account is not an activation process, nor is it a perpetually repeating activation process like EA had hot water over.

Ok, perhaps I used the wrong expression here. How about internet connection required to play. `Does it tell you this anywhere before you purchase ? No, it does not. so the people with unreliable connections or laptops are screwed. If you try launching the game from the game folder, you just get a black screen. This is exactly what EA was in trouble for with sim city, a forced internet connection to play.

ITHE MUSIC - ok - can't disagree at all - but again - IT IS AN ALPHA.

True, but think of it like programming. Get the basics working first, then add the frilly bits. Having your options working is basic.

IYou seem to think that everyone with a problem in an alpha ought to have it sorted out within 24 hours of the problem being reported, and short of that, feel genuinely justified in feeling ripped off. You have the right to feel that way - and having said that, your expectations are incredibly unrealistic. Even giants with finished polished games don't promise so much as a response - not a solution - a response - within 72 hours.

Agreed, however how many complaints do you see unanswered after weeks, months, even years on this games various websites ?

Look, There is another game with the same setup. 1 man, steam greenlit etc etc. That man answers incredibly quickly, you can go on to twitter and post and get in a reply in hours. He made one of the most succesful games ever: papers please.

This game has the potential to be brilliant. I would like to see it make it. I understand the game is alpha, I expect bugs and crashes . What isn't alpha, and never should be considered so, is the infrastructure around the game. It's simple marketing. ♥♥♥♥ your customers off and they wont be back. ( EA Excluded !!)

Thank you for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated.
utlradj142 (anti-brony) Mar 27 @ 7:58am 
idk but if you contact funsmith he will not reply
Last edited by utlradj142 (anti-brony); Mar 28 @ 7:21pm
TurtleSquared Mar 30 @ 10:03am 
You seem to think that everyone with a problem in an alpha ought to have it sorted out within 24 hours of the problem being reported, and short of that, feel genuinely justified in feeling ripped off. You have the right to feel that way - and having said that, your expectations are incredibly unrealistic. Even giants with finished polished games don't promise so much as a response - not a solution - a response - within 72 hours.
Thank You...You are the first one to say this on any forum.
Last edited by TurtleSquared; Mar 30 @ 10:04am
FunSmith  [developer] Apr 1 @ 9:16pm 
Hi,

I appreciate your feedback, and I apologize for any delay in response of updates to the game.As I mentioned previously, I'm a one man shop and unfortunately, this isn't my full-time job. With that said, please understand that my customers and the fans of Crashtastic are important to me, and this game wouldn't be where it is without all of you.

One of the hidden dangers that developers don't often talk about regarding Alpha releases is the support efforts. Once your game is out in the wild (even in an alpha state), a developer actively supports it as if it was a released product. Not only are you fixing bugs, helping resolve payment issues, press inquiries, you actually have to work on finishing the game... :) This is something I grossly underestimated.

I do my best to respond to every request (email is the best way to get a hold of me.... support@crashtastic.com), but things sometimes get dropped in between the cracks. I will redouble my efforts to be more vigilant in ensuring this doesn't happen.

Regarding the online functionality of the game, I posted on the FAQ that there will be an offline mode in the game when it launches. In addition I will be migrating the online functionality to Steam (as optional features). This should resolve any issues with connectivity in the future.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Mark
bytesback Apr 2 @ 2:49am 
Mark

Thanks for the reply, will send an email.

utlradj142 (anti-brony) Apr 2 @ 10:07am 
@bytesback

i like you pic
Matthew_D_D Jun 21 @ 5:37am 
@FunSmith, its been green lit for a while any response regarding the release? any recent content lately? sorry for the impaitence I just cant wait!
|EOS| rferzola Jul 20 @ 10:24am 
Does anyone know what I need to do to download the game? I'm just getting the bad boy page. is there another link? Is the developer still supporting the game?
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50